Jasper Mini-trip Report

Search

Jasper Mini-trip Report

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jasper Mini-trip Report

This is just a quick trip report for info. We recently enjoyed a lovely time this past weekend in Jasper while my parents were visiting from Ontario. Although my husband and I live in Calgary we seldom visit Jasper due to the proximity of the mountains in Kananskis and Banff National Park. Wildlife sightings for this trip were good. We saw elk, deer, mountain sheep and mountain goat.

We drove to Jasper in one day from Calgary taking a leisurely approach to the road trip, stopping in Banff for coffee and pastries. On our way to Jasper we took in the sights of Sunwapta and Athabasca Falls in addition to several stops at various look out points along the way. Our visit to the Columbia Glacier was enjoyable – we passed on the bus tour opting to hike to the toe of the Glacier ourselves. Note that there was no walking on the Glacier at this time of year due to spring thaw.

We stayed at a home accommodation in Jasper called 105 Patricia Street. The home has two suites, one in the basement with a full kitchen and the second in the converted attic that consists of a loft space with microwave, toaster, and kettle. Both suites have separate entrances and a full ensuite bathroom with shower. The units are clean, well furnished, reasonably priced and well located. The owners occupy the main floor of the home and were very kind to recommend restaurants and itineraries for sightseeing. This was a great place to stay as an alternate to the many hotels in the area.

We explored the Maligne Valley for a full day with stops at Maligne Canyon, Medecine Lake, and Maligne Lake. We did two short hikes at Maligne Lake and enjoyed a picnic lakeside. I would highly recommend this itinerary for those who have either children or older persons with whom they are traveling as the drive is nicely broken up with stops along the way and there are easily accessible short walks/hikes available at both Maligne Canyon and Lake.

Aside from two dinners, we cooked our own breakfasts and picnicked for lunch. Our first dinner at Tekarra Lodge was fantastic. We ate outdoors on the front pirch amidst the pines with the sun setting. The food was very well prepared with fresh ingredients and beautiful presentation. The service was impeccable and unobtrusive. I highly recommend this restaurant as the setting is gorgeous, the food is wonderful and the prices are reasonable (our dinner for four came to $200 with tip including appetizers and drinks). We strolled after dinner to look out over the river as dusk settled in.

Our second night we ate at Villa Caruso on Connaught Drive in town. This was disappointing – they were out of rice, our food arrived cold and aside from the beef souvlaki, it was not memorable in any way. Although we had a lovely outdoor table with a view, I would not recommend this. In the past, my husband and I have had good dinners at “Something Else” located on Patricia Street.
Old May 30th, 2005, 04:24 PM

Hello Hana,

Thank you for the trip report and especially for the recommendation of 105 Patricia Street. We are looking for home accommodation in Jasper. Crayston's has received good reviews here, but it apparently has a studio apartment that is more suitable for a couple or a family (mom, dad, kids). 105 Patricia Street sounds more suitable if 2 couples travel together, and that's what we'll be doing this summer.
Old May 31st, 2005, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

Hi Judy -

That's exactly why I picked 105 Patricia Street - each couple had their own separate suite. At night we would spend our time in the lower suite having a glass of wine and playing cards at the kitchen table. The kitchen was well stocked - we had no problem making a full breakfast of bacon and eggs for four - a nice change from other places I've stayed in which have just one frying pan!
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 12:34 AM

I concur on your restaurant recommendation for Jasper! Had a very memorable meal, ourselves, at Tekarra Lodge, 2 years back in the Fall. (shortly before I believe they closed for the season) Was outstanding...our experience, at least.

We're vegetarians...so what we experienced may not apply for all, but we found all courses delightful. I keep wondering if their cabins would be worth staying in? (Planning a return trip this summer to the region.) Have come across few recent comments about their actual lodging.
Actually, I believe I read their restaurant is run by separate 'management' than the lodging is. Anyway, was fun to see someone else, too, found this restaurant to be a nice little gem!! (almost hidden it seemed to us)
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 12:37 AM

Ps. I didn't even realize they had outdoor dining, as we ate there quite late (both at night & during the season, so it was nippy at night) to be sure.

That will be something to look forward to as we'll be visiting when there are longer days, this time around.
If in Jasper for my b-day...I really think I'd like to make this place be the spot for dinner!