Jasper Lodging - Alpine village or Becker's

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read several comments with respect to Alpine Village and Becker's and both sound pretty good, although both receive mixed reviews. It seems like Becker's might be favored by most. What I would like to know is specifically how they compare in several respects - quality/size of the rooms, management and operation, and atmosphere. Specifically, can you describe the properties of each. Thank you.

Steve
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 02:33 PM

Hello Steve,
Of course this is just my opinion but I would take Beckers over Alpine village. I think the grounds are more picturesque and there are many choices as to what type of cabin you can book. Some are older and therefore more rustic and others have been built more recently so they look more modern. Alpine Village is a more sprawling and the grounds are not as nice as Beckers.

Some of the older cabins at Beckers are right on the bank of the Athabasca River, very pretty views. The newer ones are a little further back from the river but also very nice views.

We have only stayed in the newer cabins which are in fourplexes and have a fireplace. We like these because they have a full kitchen so we don't have to eat out as often. The cabins are very clean.

There is also a good restaurant at the Beckers site, convenient for breakfast.

One last thing, I had stopped to get some information from Alpine Village a couple of years back and the front desk staff was very rude, that is what really turned me off of staying there. I will not pay for rudeness. I hope this helps.
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 02:58 PM
maj

We stayed at both Beckers and Alpine Village and besides the fact that we also we not impressed with the "management" of Alpine Village, I would definitely recommend Beckers over Alpine Village, especially for people with kids. We stayed in a cabin with a balcony overlooking a very large play area. There are quite a few cabins, but we were not bothered by noise at all--in fact it felt very private in our cabin. It also has the restaurant on the premises which will make you box lunches if you want. There are laundry facilities I'm pretty sure on the premises, which I always like at some point during our trip. I didn't go to the river there, but at Alpine Village the river is across a street (not a busy one), with only a couple of chairs--not real impressive. I thought at the time that Beckers would be a much better place to stay for a family.
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 03:15 PM

Can't compare the two because we didn't stay at Alpine Village, but we stayed at Beckers last year and loved it. At the time I booked, the only freestanding cottage available was a handicapped one. It turned out to be great! Airy (one large room with separate areas for bed, living room and kitchen) adjacent to a green area. My 17 year old son and I really enjoyed it. He said that of all the lodging in the Canadian Rockies that we stayed in, this was the best. Loved the views of the stream and mountains beyond.

I'll give Beckers an unqualified recommendation!
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 05:58 PM

We are considering one of these locations also in August- based on the websites- it looks like Alpine Village cottages are nicer? Am I way off? Thanks! Susan
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 08:22 PM

Having stayed at both on more than one location, I have to say that we prefer Becker's. The newer fourplexes are fairly large, have full kitchens and a gas fireplace, and are very comfortable.
Alpine Village is OK, but the one bedroom cabins that we stayed in were smaller then the one bedroom units in the fourplexes at Becker's. Alpine Village had wood burning fireplaces, but the kitchens were tiny. So I guess it depends on what you consider as being "nice".
Having said all that, I don't think that you could go wrong with either of the two places. Don't worry, choose one, and enjoy your time in the beautiful Rockies!!