January Anniversary -- Toronto

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22nd, 2003, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My beautiful wife and I are planning to spend our anniversary in Toronto in mid January. Please tell me if the weather in years past has been too inclimate to really enjoy. Also we planned to see Niagara Falls and the museum. We will be staying in Markham and were debating as to whether or not to rent a car for all six days or to use a taxi and get a car for only two days. We would like to go to the theater and any other suggested points of interest that are suggested. We get in on a Friday and leave the following Thursday. Please help. Thanks.
Old Dec 22nd, 2003, 05:24 PM

January weather is tough to predict. It could be a bit over freezing (pleasant for us in January) but it could be very cold, say -20 C. There could be virtually no snow or we could have a crippling snowstorm.

Obviously you would be best to stay downtown so I assume that you have a particular reason for staying in Markham as you will find it rather unhandy. A taxi to downtown and back will be expensive. Consider using the subway. www.ttc.ca Driving downtown in rush hour is not fun or fast but not ususally too bad outside of peak times. Downtown parking can be expensive but is very dependant on exact location. One annoying detail is that daily flat rates tend to end at 6 PM obliging you to pay more if you stay downtown into the evening.

Niagara Falls is certainly worth seeing in winter. With all the ice it can be quite a sight. A car is certainly best for visiting the falls.
Old Dec 23rd, 2003, 04:33 AM

I agree with Gavin's comments.

Addtional ideas ...There are a lot of independent galleries on Queen Street West that are mostly open Wednesday - Sundays. I believe they open early in the afternoon. You can check whether the Design Exchange has an exhibition of your interest. The Design Exchange is in the heart of the financial district.

An upcoming destination would be the Disitllery District. A few restaurants, cafés, furniture stores, but the district focuses on art galleries and art studios. It can be really quiet there, it maybe a weekend option. www.distillerydistrict.com

As for mucicals, you can check www.onstagenow.com

If both of you enjoy live music, there are lots of options too. You can find a free copy of NOW or EYE weekly publication with live music & event listing. They can be found on beside most newstands. I think they have their own websites too.

Another tourist attraction is the harbourfront. Their event listing is available at www.harbourfront.on.ca

Restaurants - you can go to www.torontolife.com that will provide you with sufficient information.

Since you're driving to Niagra Falls, you may want to spend a night in the picturesque town of Niagra on the Lake. It can be expensive. There are options of staying at the B&B, Inns, and Spas. Do your homework if you're intersted in wine-tasting tours in that area too.

Have a Happy Anniversary. Let me know if you need further assistance!
Old Dec 23rd, 2003, 04:20 PM
BAK

Can you avoid Markham?

I was there an hour and a half ago, and now I'm in the heart of downtown, and this is much better, and I'm not even with your beautiful wife.

If you're stuck in Markham, get a car for the whole time.

For pro-level theatre, assume an hour's drive back to Markham late in the evening.

We've got a regular museum, an art museum, a textile museum, a shoe museum, a ceramics museum, a Ukranian museum, a television museum, a Canadian Paitings museum, plus lots of antique stores and art galleries with museum quality exhibits. None of them are in Markham.

If you love Chinese stuff, Markham, though, is a great plalce to go. it was fgoggy as I drove through tonight, with neon signs glowing in the mist. Sort of spooky/arty. there are some great restaurants up there, and a wide variety of high-end Chinese retailers. But the traditional Chinatown(s) is/are downtown.

It's a long way from the airport to Markham, too.

BAK
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 11:03 AM

Congratulations on your anniversary!

Today it is 7 degrees here--as a previous poster pointed out, weather can be unpredictable. There is so much to do in the city that weather shouldn't be a major concern. If you're downtown, you can do quite a lot of your walking underground along the PATH, if necessary. But if you dress warmly, you should be fine outside.

Definitely agree with renting a car and taking advantage of TTC wherever possible. It's part of the Toronto experience--plus, parking can be very expensive. Time your drives in to the city. Rush hour can be madness.

Also agree with visiting the Distillery District. You can watch artists at work in their studios and purchase one of a kind art, jewelery, chocolates, etc.

Don't miss Niagara Falls!