Search

Itinerary Suggestion?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2015, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itinerary Suggestion?

Hello everyone,

My partner and I are visiting The Canadian Rockies in mid-July for two weeks this year and are struggling to decide on an itinerary to follow. We fly in to Calgary and our flight out is also from Calgary. I have put together this itinerary and just wanted to know people's opinions. Many thanks in advance!

DAY 1: Arrive in Calgary- 3.30pm

DAY 1: Drive to Banff- 1hr 30

DAYS 1-5: Banff- 4 nights

DAY 5: Banff- Lake Louise- 40 mins

DAYS 5-6: Lake Louise- 1 night

DAY 6: Lake Louise- Jasper- 3 hours

DAYS 6-8: Jasper- 2 nights

DAY 8: Jasper-Kamloops- 5 hours

DAYS 8-9: Kamloops- 1 night

DAY 9: Kamloops- Vancouver- 3hrs 30

DAYS 9-13: Vancouver- 4 nights

DAY 13: Vancouver- Revelstoke- 6 hours

DAY 13-14: Revelstoke- 1 night

DAY 14: Revelstoke- Calgary- 4 hours 30mins

DAYS 14-15: Calgary- 1 night

DAY 15: Fly home from Calgary
Old Apr 5th, 2015, 01:40 PM

Is there any way you can fly home from Vancouver? While I think Calgary is worth some time, making two visits seems inefficient.
Old Apr 5th, 2015, 02:29 PM

I think you are underestimating some of the drive times, especially considering summer traffic on the roads. These are not like U.S. interstates, and you should anticipate being stuck behind RVs, tractor-trailers, etc., in winding mountainous areas with no opportunity to pass.

Allow a full day to make the Lake Louise - Jasper drive. Even driving straight through, it's likely to be closer to five hours. This is not a road to just drive without stopping; the vistas area spectacular and there are places you will want to stop for pictures, some short hikes, etc. Personally, I think that the whole point of that drive is lost if you don't stop to appreciate it.

Then, your times driving across from Jasper to Vancouver don't account for any traffic or stops. We normally go in the fall, when the roads are less traveled, and then make it two days. Plan on 5 hours from Kamloops to Vancouver, then allow time for city congestion once you hit the outskirts.

Just some thoughts.
Old Apr 5th, 2015, 10:44 PM
Original Poster

Thankyou for the replies. We have looked into changing our outbound flight to Vancouver but unfortunately it cannot be changed.

Do you find these driving times manageable? As only one of us drives it seems a lot of driving for just one person.

Have you ever been to Edmonton and if so is it worth a visit? I am thinking of alternatives to visiting Vancouver and perhaps saving this for another trip or is it worth the long drives?

Kind Regards.
Old Apr 6th, 2015, 05:15 AM
ltt

a few thoughts for you to ponder. it's a little difficult to give you good advice when you haven't told us any of your interests or anything. for example...are you looking for a trip that is mostly seen from the car and easy walks at tourist stops. are you wanting 3 hour hikes - easy, moderate, stenuous...all day hikes...are you 20 or 70...water activities (white water rafting, kayaking???)
edmonton - live there, don't include it in your itinerery
icefield parkway between lake louise and jasper - for hikers, it is a full day. i'll do short non-strenuous hikes so i'd leave lake louise around 7:00 a.m., bring "picnic" items and likely 6-7 hours would be plenty so i'd be in jasper mid afternoon. make sure you gas up before getting on the parkway.
i'd save vancouver for another trip if you can. then you could do 2 weeks for the vancouver and vancouver island areas.
i'd consider focusing on banff / lake louis.jasper, stay in clearwater instead of kamloops for 2 nights and visit well's grey provincial park, into the okanagan area for a few nights (penticton, naramata, etc) and or down to the nelson area and then back to banff for your flight home.
Old Apr 6th, 2015, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

We are 21 years of age and are both moderately fit, so will be looking for more of an active holiday with long hikes of moderate difficulty. We have a range of activities that we want to do in the Rockies including: White Water Rafting, Canoeing/Kayaking/Paddleboarding, Hot Springs in Banff as well as Jasper, Gondola Ride in Lake Louise, Athabasca Glacier Tour. This will be on top of the "must see's" such as Takkakaw falls, Skyline Trail, Lake Minnewanka etc.

I feel like there is plenty to do in the Rocky Mountains to fill up 2 weeks of time, especially with the long hikes. However, was told on a different forum that this was too much time to spend here and consider spending it in other places, which is why I have considered other options.

Splitting the time up between Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper seems like the better option and Clearwater and Okanagan both look lovely also. Are there any other places you would recommend a night stop to spend the day in?
Old Apr 6th, 2015, 09:58 AM

Have you looked into car rentals yet? Since you are under 25, you may run into restrictions and/or surcharges. Also, do you have any lodging reservations yet; if not, your itinerary may be dictated by where you can find lodging.

ltt makes good recommendations. You would love Wells Gray, with its waterfalls. http://wellsgray.ca/site/plan.html. In addition, there is Glacier (the Canadian one, not the U.S. one), Revelstoke, Mt. Robson, etc. Check this site: http://www.canadianrockies.net/

Two weeks is not too much, by a long shot. Given that you enjoy being active, I'd suggest you minimize driving, and certainly eliminate Vancouver in favor of focus on the Rockies this trip. Have a wonderful time.
Old Apr 6th, 2015, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Yes we have spoken to a company and have a car booked with a very high additional charge but feel the cost is worth it.

We only have one reservation in Banff, which was booked for the whole 2 weeks but we can change this as we would like to spend some time in different areas.

Thankyou for all your suggestions!