Search

Itinerary Help please - Vancouver/Banff/Jasper/Vancouver

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 02:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itinerary Help please - Vancouver/Banff/Jasper/Vancouver

G'day all!

Have been racking my brain over our itinerary and thought I would hand it over to you guys for your comments.

We (Aussie couple in our 50's) have hired a rental car and will pre-arrange our own accommodation.

Day 1 - Arrive Vancouver (from Montreal)

Day 2 - Drive Vancouver to Penticton
(Or is Kelowna better? Realise we will be back-tracking a bit.)

Day 3 - Penticton to Banff
(visit Rogers Pass & Kicking Horse Falls)

Day 4 - Banff to Lake Louise
(visit Sulphur Mountain Gondola; Bow River Falls)

Day 5 - Lake Louise to Jasper
(visit Peyto Lake - Columbia Icefields - Sunwapta Falls - Athabasca Falls)

Day 6 - Jasper
(visit Patricia & Pyramid Lakes, Whistlers Mountain skytram?, Maligne Lake cruise?)

Day 7 - Jasper to Kamloops
(visit Mt Robson - Clearwater - Spahat Canyon)

Day 8 - Kamloops to Whistler
(visit Ashcroft - Lillooet)

Day 9 - Whistler to Vancouver

Day 10 - Vancouver to Victoria
(via Ferry & visit Butchart Gardens)

Day 11 - Victoria to Vancouver

Day 14 - Leave Vancouver

Few queries I have:
* Day 10 - need to hand back rental car, but this itinerary has has arriving in Vancouver on Day 9 .. so where should we stay for that extra one day (before getting to Vancouver)?

* Are we cramming in too much? (We're not hikers/walkers or adventurers so we'll probably simply drive everywhere and go on a few lake cruises).

* Park fees? Do you pre-pay (somewhere?) or buy when you get there?

* If there is any "must-sees" that we haven't included, please let me know. Alternatively, if there's any we should "give a miss", would like to hear about them too.

* If you have any accommodation recommendations, that would be appreciated. Budget up to CAD$400 p/n).

* Any "tips" you think we should know about?

Thanks in advance
Cheers
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 08:09 AM

Just a couple of quick comments. You can buy national park passes in the park(s). See here for more info:

http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/banff/visit/visit23_e.asp

Your day 4 has you travelling between Banff and Lake Louise. It's only 1/2 hour drive between the two and not worth the hassle of changing hotels etc. IMO. Just make a day trip to Lake Louise from Banff.
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 08:20 AM

I would probably choose Kelowna instead of Penticton for your first night. A little larger so it likely has more lodging choices. Try to find time to visit one of the wineries in the Kelowna area, regardless of where you stay.

Day 3 seems reasonable. If you want to see more of the back country instead of the major highway, head east from Vernon toward Cherryville, then to Fauquier, Nakusp, and Shelter bay to rejoin the Trans-Canada highway at Revelstoke. This route will take longer, but it is a beautiful area to see. We really enjoyed a stop to soak in the Nakusp Hot Springs but that will really throw your schedule off as you will not want to get back out. I'd recommend a stop in Yoho National Park east of Golden to visit Takakaw Falls. You rarely get an opportunity to see such a high waterfall without a long hike.

We also enjoyed the Jasper Tram. If the weather is clear, hike the trails above to the top (or as high as you like) for an awe inspiring view.

If you have days to spare, the drice from Clearwater to Clearwater Lake in Wells Grey Provincial Park is fun too. We took the boat trip up Clearwater Lake and to the far end of Azure Lake. Absolutely gorgeous.

Of course you are cramming in too much. So did we and we still look back on it as a fun trip. You can rest up when you get back home.

There will be an entry station when you enter the National Park. You can easily pay here. You might consider an annual pass since you will be visiting more than one park. It may be more econlomical or maybe not but the annual pass hangs on the inside mirror of your car and you will not need to stop at each entry station then.
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 04:13 PM

I agree with visiting Lake Louise as a day trip from Banff. You will still drive by it on the way to Jasper, but saves the hassle of changing hotels/packing etc.
You'll be able to buy a park pass when entering Glacier Natl Park (Rogers Pass), or Yoho National Park (east of Golden)
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 04:20 PM

Quails Gate is a great winery to visit for lunch/dinner near Kelowna - www.quailsgate.com

In Banff I would also go into the Banff Springs Hotel - amazing historic building with 1st class restaurants.

On day 5 you might want to stop at Num Ti Jah Lodge - www.num-ti-jah.com - historic lodge with loads of character in a stunning lakeside setting - even if you don't stay there you could have a coffee or lunch. I stayed at www.banfftreetops.com in Banff, but with your budget you might prefer the www.rimrockresort.com which is well placed for the gondola and hot springs.