Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Itinerary help-Montreal to Gaspé in one week

May 16th, 2019, 09:41 PM
Original Poster

Basically I’m thinking of spending a day hiking the Saguenay fjord on the way but not sure if it’s worth it or drive straight through to Gaspé? I saw the fjord in photos and it looks beautiful but there is so much to see in Gaspé.. would love some advice..
thanks so much!
May 29th, 2019, 03:54 PM

I'd skip Saguenay, or keep it for the end if you have time. Gaspésie is already a long drive and adding Saguenay means you'll have to go through Quebec City and then drive on a slower road with frequent villages. Plus Gaspésie park has the best hiking in the province. Mount Albert is the centerpiece. Mont Ernest Laforce is easy and good for moose in the morning/evening. Mount Olivine has a great view on mount Albert. Just outside the park (free, no registration required), there's mount Hog's Back for a quick hike with an alpine feel or the Vallière-St-Réal for some ridge walking. The last two trailheads are either end of this itinerary: Google map. Back in the park, mount Xalibu has one of the best effort-to-reward ratio IMO and mount Jacques-Cartier is goodt for cariboos, but a bit of a hassle to get there on a tight schedule.