Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

is there any reason to get Can. money before going to QC for weekend?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 11:13 AM
sue

should I or just use credit card?

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 11:20 AM
Susan

Either use your credit card or use an ATM there to withdraw cash from your own bank. Some places (stores, etc.) may give you a good rate of exchange, but maybe not, so if you can't use your credit card, you should pay in Canadian dollars.

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 11:22 AM
John K

Hi Sue,<BR>What I do is bring credit cards and when I get to the airport in Canada I withdraw funds (you'll get Canadian dollars and your checking or savings account will be charged in US dollars). It's easier than going to the bank and buying Canadian dollars before you go and the rate is good and fee for using the ATM is negligible. Have fun.

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 11:59 AM
Bob Brown

I have had no trouble using my ATM card to get Canadian currency in Quebec, or Calgary or Revelstoke.<BR>Just don't do what a friend of mine did.<BR>He inserted his credit card to obtain money. Of course that transaction was a cash advance at a considerable fee. Because I had advised him to use an ATM card rather than acquire Canadian currency here before he left home, he though I should pay the difference!<BR>I refused, but he thought I was being cheap because it was my fault.<BR>Turns out he does/did not have an ATM card. <BR>

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 01:56 PM
Susan

Wow, how could anyone manage without an ATM card these days? I hardly seem to spend any cash apart from coffee money, that kind of thing!

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 02:43 PM
Celine

What I do when I go to Canada, is take out money with my US ATM card at a bank machine when I get there...you get a better exchange than paying with my US credit card or getting Canadian money in the US.

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 12:56 PM
Jim

I never use a credit card in another country unless necessary, because they hose you on the exchange rate. ATMs are all over the place, and work just like at home except they give Canadian bucks. The exchange is the posted exchange rate.