Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is Norris Point a good base from which to explore Gros Morne?

Old Mar 29th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll want to do some hiking/biking/western pond boat tour, does it make sense to stay here or would we be better in Rocky Harbour or somewhere else? Thanks for any help.
Old Mar 29th, 2011, 01:27 PM

It depends what you like. I personally prefer NOrris Point over Rocky Harbour and think it would be a great base. Norris Point is quiet and not very touristy. There are a few b&bs and an upscale lodge in Neddy's Harbour. Bon Tours offers a tour boat around the bay and also a water taxi over to Woody Point. Norris Point is the more scenic of the two and is about 5 miles from Rocky Harbour. Rocky Harbour has lots of restaurants and a large selection of lodging. I think it is rather busy. It is closer to Western Brook Pond but not that much closer. Both are near hiking trails. It really comes down to your personal preferences. If you like a night life and lots of choices for places to eat, Rocky Harbour would most llikely be preferable. Hope this helps
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Katrinasl, very helpful. Looking at Neddies and wanted to make sure we weren't going to be too far from trails,tours, etc. Appreciate your feedback!
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 05:12 AM

Personnally, I would stay a couple of nights in Woody Point or Trout River and hike the Green Gardens trail and explore the Tablelands, and then spend the rest on the northern side of Bonne Bay (Norris Point/Rocky Harbour).
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 04:55 PM

Eric is giving you good advice. I personally LOVE Woody Point and that area. And hiking the Green Gardens trail is like finding the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow when you finally get to the ocean.... And then there is the gulch when driving to Trout River. Plus I hear they are going to offer boat tours there again this summer. It is about an hours drive to Rocky Harbour from that area though, so it does put you further from Western Brook Pond, etc. On my first trip to Nfld we spent several nights in Rocky Harbour/Norris Point and then headed up the Peninsula and on the way back spent a couple of nights in Woody Point. Never regretted it... If nothing else it is worth taking the water taxi from Norris Point to Woody Point and walk around the town and up to the Lookout and then the lighthouse. I think they may have the water taxi service at night too when there are shows at the Heritage Theater.
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your comments. I missed checking in on this post so just saw your suggestions. Having only three nights to spend I was hoping to stay in one place and do day trips. Is it feasible to do a day trip to Woody Point and take in the Green Gardens and Tablelands? I like the idea of taking the water taxi but I assume we'd need the car to access the trails. Might have to reconsider where to be and when. Thanks for any feedback
Old Apr 9th, 2011, 07:27 AM

It's feasible if you don't mind driving 75km around Bonne Bay. The Green Gardens trail is certainly worth it. There's a short trail in the Tablelands but I think driving to Trout River is enough. Since you mentionned biking, you could take the water taxi and ride to Trout River. It's only 30km there and back but one of the best ride I've even done. There are a couple of very steep hills coming in and out of Woody Point and Trout River. There's a taxi service in Woody Point. I took it to the Green Gardens trailhead and arranged a pick-up three days later.

http://www.borealphoto.com/photos/36...K2ZGN-XL-4.jpg
Old Apr 9th, 2011, 08:52 PM

Hi Erick - your photos are amazing;some of the best I have seen. It looks like you rode your bike thorughout the province. I saw you came over on the ferry.... where did you start out from? Hi Starfish - I think Erick is giving you great advice here. I have heard that you can catch a cab right from where the water taxi docks. I was under the imprssion that it is usally waiting but if it isn't you won't have any problem stopping in one of the shops and having someone contact it for you.
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 03:56 AM

Thanks Katrina. I started in Bathurst, NB and basically rode couter-clockwise around the gulf of St-Lawrence. I liked Newfoundland so much I returned for another month last year and two weeks into that trip, I was already planning a third visit.

The taxi driver told me he often took people from the boat to the Tableland trailhead. His fee was "10$ to go anywhere in the park", which I assume he meant the sourthern part. On my visit, the water taxi was more like a short version of the Bonna Bay cruise, with detours in small bays, a guide and three live songs. They said they did more than usual though.

BTW, on the Tableland trail, you basically get closer on foot to the same scenery you can see from the road while the Green Gardens are only accessible on foot (or sea).
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 04:54 PM

I know exactly what you mean Erick. I first went to Newfoundland in 2002. I was always an avid traveller but never went back to a place. Nfld has changed all that - I have been back every summer except for one. We bought a house in Woody Point last summer. I am counting the days until I get back this year.... Starfish - maybe you are beginning to suspect you are due for an outstanding experience.
Old Apr 13th, 2011, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

Wow, fantastic photo! Thanks for the further comments. Just received my official map today so will be busy plotting routes. Such beautiful scenery, we are definitely looking forward to an outstanding experience. I suspect like you, we will also want to return. Thanks again for your help.