Search

Imposts refund

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27th, 2000, 01:37 PM
Ivelise

Imposts refund

Hi, it's me again, again !!! <BR> <BR>It's all set for my first trip to Canada, december 4th !!! I only have one doubt, some friend of mine told me that tourists in Canada can have the impost paid in goods back when they leave the country. Is that true ? Where can I have more information about it ? <BR> <BR>Thanks again.

Old Nov 27th, 2000, 07:20 PM
Vanessa

I'm assuming that by imposts that you mean taxes. And, yes, some GST (goods & services tax) is refundable to visitors to Canada. <BR> <BR>Here's the gov't info on the topic: <BR>http://www.ccra-adrc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/.../rc4031eq.html <BR> <BR>Hope you enjoy your trip!

Old Nov 28th, 2000, 02:15 PM
Patrick

And the best part: you get back the taxes you pay on hotel rooms as well! During our one month in Canada last summer, that amounted to a refund of nearly $300 US!!

Old Nov 28th, 2000, 05:51 PM
Brian Kilgore

There are usually printed folders or brochures in racks in the lobbies of hotels. <BR> <BR>BAK

Old Nov 29th, 2000, 05:55 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Just be sure you're getting the official government refund form. There's one lurking out there at airports and hotel lobbies that looks official, but charges you 20% of your refund. The official form is from Revenue Canada and is called "Tax Refund for Visitors". I think the rip-off one has the word "National" in its name. <BR> <BR>Be sure to save ORIGINAL receipts - including an itemized hotel bill (photocopies are not accepted).

Old Nov 30th, 2000, 07:18 AM
Bill

That is a good point made above. Be sure to get the REAL Canadian Government form, not the other one. This is important else you get hit with the 20% fee. The government program does not charge anything. I have found that hotels are happy to give you two receipts if you ask, one for your own use and one to turn in for refund. Depending on the province you are in you may be able to get back the province taxes as well. I know Quebec will refund the local taxes as well (at least part of them). It is a really great deal and adds to the already great value of visiting Canada.