Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

If you lived in Minneapolis, MN and wanted to begin to explore Canada, which city would you start with?

Search

If you lived in Minneapolis, MN and wanted to begin to explore Canada, which city would you start with?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2003, 01:39 PM
HaveVisaWillTravel

After ten years of living on the west coast, I am back in MN, the state in which I grew up. I have traveled alot and am anxious to explore Canada, but not sure which city would be a "good starter". Hoping it is not a foolish question to all of you...<BR>We enjoy beautiful quaint cities, good food, good wine, skiing (but not a necessity), anything theatrical, museums....<BR>For the novice, which is your favorite city?<BR>Thanks in advance!

Old Jan 28th, 2003, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would think that if you lived out west for ten years then I would suggest going east in Canada. I would do a combo trip of maybe Montreal and Quebec City, only two and a half hours apart by train or car. Both have great restaurants, history, quaint neighbourhoods, museums, skiing within an hour away, etc. Seems to be all that you are looking for. Do a search here for Montreal and Quebec City and I'm sure you will pull up tons of info to read through. That would be my recommendation for your trip to Canada, to start with anyway! Good luck.
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 05:07 AM

well...since you lived on the west coast..why not start in Winnipeg,manitoba...7.5 hr drive from minny. I live in victoria bc,and it is beautiful...but doesnt have the culture that winnipeg has...winnipeg is a very underated city..pop650,000..good museums,zoo,restaurants and affordable...then you could fly to toronto and take in niagara falls,drive to montreal,get a feel for french culture...then fly back to winnipeg hop inyour car and drive thru northern minny,checking out some beautiful lakes...Toronto and Montreal are great cities to experience and Winnipeg i s well known for being a very hospitable city....just my suggestion..oh,by the way..love the twin cities area!
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 05:55 AM

Calgary to Vancouver would be my choice, by far. Especially due to the world-class skiing, along with the famous Okanagan valley wineries.
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 09:52 AM

Montreal is our favourite Canadian city to visit. (Toronto does not count because I go there to work.) Montreal has everything that you are asking for (depending upon your definition of quaint). Quebec City or Ottawa would also make good add-on cities to a Montreal trip and strengthen the museum aspect of your list.<BR><BR>For quaint it's hard to top St. John's Newfoundland but that's good deal more flying.
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 01:03 PM

I realize that unfortunately my experience with WEst Can. is limited to Van, so excuse me when I eliminate everything in betweenn but here is my thought....<BR>Drive through to Can. in Niagara Falls and see the Falls...be tacky touristy and fun and do the town of Niagara Falls... then drive the Niagara Parkway to Niagara on the Lake stopping on the way to do the Spanish AeroCar that is suspended over the Whirlpool in the gorge out of Niagara Falls and take in some of the history enroute. Stop in Niagar on the Lake for the quaint village and the Shaw Festival, the cute restaurants and wine bars... walk around or take a horse drawn carriage and look at all the lovely old houses. You could even golf while admiring the U.S from Can. side. Then drive through the Niagara wine region on the escarpment and try all kinds of fab. wines... it is a delightful drive with some five star dining opportunities. Try Vineland restaurant and winery- or On the Twenty in Jordan and do some wine tasting and antique shopping. THere are 18 - 25 I can't remember vineyards.<BR><BR>Then of course to Toronto - don't forget Hamilton (hey - it has history and a lovely harbour!!) and Oakville on the way...Then Toronto - stay there for several days. Of course.<BR><BR>If you are on a summer visit - try June or Sept as they don't seem to risk being as deathly hot... Head up to some of the beautiful cottage country of Ontario!! Muskoka, Haliburton, Georgian Bay!!<BR><BR>Then you could head straight out of cottage country through Algonquin Park to Ottawa the country's capital!! Sweet and lovely with history and interesting museum of civilization across in Hull. Also beautiful scenery in the Gatineaus and Aylmer... but on you must head to Montreal!!! Such an interesting contrast in major Canadian Urban settings to Toronto.... See everything!! Then push on to Quebec City... and drive on to New Brunswick taking a ferry across to Nova Scotia.... from there - it is all up to you!! <BR><BR>If you are terribly adventurous back this all up and start in Victoria....<BR>Yippe - I love Canada!
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 08:46 PM

Winnipeg would also be a short flight, or only about a six/seven hour drive.<BR>There are tons of culture events such as theatre (look into the Manitoba Theatre Company (MTC) or the West End Theatre)<BR>In the summer you can rent a cabin on lake Winnipeg for cheap and visit the towns of Gimli and Winnipeg beach.<BR>
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 02:01 PM
dw

I suggest Montreal &amp; Quebec city. I live in Toronto &amp; have visited Vancouver. Toronto &amp; Vancouver are nice cities but Montreal &amp; QC are more unusual for a North American city since they are more European &amp; cultural.
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 03:32 PM

You're getting some good pitches and that's not surprising since Canada has a lot to offer. (We've visited a lot between Halifax and Vancouver, but the strong case being made for Winnipeg is getting my attention here.) Anyway, I wanted to also throw Ottawa into the mix here. It's a very walkable city; very interesting with a lot of things to see and do. Parliament Hill is impressive and stately; the National Art Gallery is fabulous; there are a number of other great museums; the Byward Market is active and fun. It's also very affordable, so it's worth consideration.