Reload this Page >

Hyatt vs. Sutton Place in Toronto

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 06:05 PM
Shawn Quinn

Hello All,<BR>I will be going to Toronto this spring and I am trying to chose between the Hyatt and Sutton Place. They don't seem too far apart on the map, but I could definately be wrong about that. I enjoyed reading all or the postings on Toronto in the discussion section, they were all very helpful. While I did find postive feedback on the Hyatt in Toronto, I did not find much on Sutton Place , other than the with rave reviews in the Hotel Section of Fodors. Has anyone stayed at the Sutton Place or even both? Which one did you like better? Thanks for the help!

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 10:03 PM
Brian Kilgore

They are close on the map because they are close in real life (five or six blocks, sez I without getting out a map) what matters to you as a toruist is what's in those blocks, and the answer is, not much. <BR><BR>Sutton Place, at Bay and Wellesley, is very close to some government buildings and some residential condos, but it is out of the mainstream, but only by a few blocks.<BR><BR>The Hyatt, on the other hand, is at the most prestigious corner in town, at least according to Toronto newspapers this week, announcing a building program for the museum across from the Hyatt. It's in the Yorkville area, full of shops, restaurants, bookstores, the main Toronto museum (a shoe museum and a ceramics museum are close, too) and there are subway stops for the east-west and north-south lines very close, too.<BR><BR>Both are excellent, elegant hotels.<BR><BR>If you like going for walks in the neighborhood, pick the Hyatt. If you are going to stay in the hotel, eat in the dining room, enjoy your room, Sutton Place becomes more attractive.<BR><BR>Which is not to say Sutton Place is remote; it's just not right there, right now, within a minute, of places to go and things to see.<BR><BR>BAK<BR>

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 10:27 PM
Bonnie

Definitely, definitely the Park Hyatt. Gorgeous, perfect location. Was there on Tuesday at their Spa, Stillwater, and am in fact going back again on the week-end (different friends, different treatment). Ask for the rooms in the North Tower as they are a little newer but the ones in the South Tower will be lovely also. Did you get a good rate at the hotel? Check out their website as sometimes they have packages that are attractive. You must go for drinks upstairs as their bar is very famous for being a local hang-out for authors and Toronto natives. Don't bother going to Morton's which is in the hotel. Go to Sotto Sotto up the street or the Pasta Bar at Scaramouche. If you want steaks go to Harbour Sixty. Locals like the Studio Cafe at the Four Seasons across the street also. If you like Japanese food try Sushi on Bloor (about 5 mins. away) or Sushi Inn on Cumberland St.)

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 05:02 AM
Shawn

The Park Hyatt it is... thank you for all the info, you've been extremely helpful! Since I am not a Toronto resident, being in the midst of it all is definately preferable. The rates for both hotels were similar, around $120 US dollars, which I think is a great deal for hotels of this caliber. Now, I was just wondering about one more thing, is Truffles really worth it? Cheers.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 07:52 AM
Brian Kilgore

Truffles is worth it if you are going to pay close attention to the food.<BR><BR>If you want to be distracted by holding vibrant, exciting conversations with your dinner companions, go to the Studio on the same floor, save some money, and be more relaxed. <BR><BR>But if you want to savour every bite, think about the tastes as they combine on the palette, and all this other gourment kind of stuff, it can't be beat.<BR><BR>Don't forget to have a drink in the top floor bar of the Hyatt.<BR><BR>At at the other end of the price spectrum, the french fries from the little shed at the east end of the park behind the Four Seasons are great.<BR><BR>If the weather's nice, buy some and eat them as you stroll around.<BR><BR>BAK

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 06:15 PM
Susan

To Shawn: Great rate for Park Hyatt! I made reservations in early Jan for Mid March (next week) & my rate is $289 Cdn! Yikes! How did you get $120 US? Even after I convert your rate to Cdn dollars it is still a lot less than mine! So...what the heck is going on here????

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 07:07 PM
Bonnie

Re: Truffles. Nothing wrong with that choice...but what about Canoe, North 44, Mistura, Scaramouche for a Toronto experience?

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 09:55 PM
Shawn

To Susan:<BR>I actually went on-line through AAA to find the price, which is actually closer to $135 rather than $120. They range is anywhere from $135 to $180 a night. The selection of hotels is not as comprehensive as one would like, but the deals are quite nice. Thanks again for all the great suggestions for restaurants, I'll post a little something from my trip when I get back in late March.<BR>