Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

How to plan a week to 2 on Vancouver Island?

Mar 17th, 2006, 03:01 AM
Original Poster

Okay...trying to make do w/limited vacation time this year & have to spend some in Colorado as well visiting family.
A beautiful area too, to be sure!

Anyway, have had a hankering to see Tofino & Telegraph Cove for quite some time.
Also considering the Alberni/Lady Rose journey to Bamfield maybe.

Just not sure if we could do the island justice w/just one full work week plus weekends?

'Course then again we LOVE the Gulf Islands & San Juans, so it's awfully hard to be that close & forego seeing them again.

We've done Victoria several times & altho' find it fun, could forego if we had to for a shorter 1-week journey. Have done Salt Spring & Mayne for a night or two & even Galiano for one night. (like the gentle nature that can be found there)

Would love your thoughts & potential itineraries...
we don't have kids so mostly looking for a quiet, romantic time w/lots of nature, wildlife & hiking. We sorely need a break from everyday life here...
and could really, really use a special getaway! (have had some health worries too) :-\

Maybe 3 nights or so in Tofino? Debating about Middle Beach Lodge or Long Beach.
Probably will depend partly on prices at the time we go which is yet undetermined.

We originally thought of going mid-July. Then I heard here that Telegraph Cove outings are esp. nice in early Sept so am debating still. (had thought we'd do Colorado in late Sept but can't do everything in Sept)

Another possibility would be to do trip in late May/early June to Vanc Island...as that's our Anniversary time. Just not sure if that's too early to enjoy decent weather & to see wildlife??
Thanks so very much!!
Mar 25th, 2006, 10:49 AM

Hi I would opt for July/Aug for Vancouver Island. late may early june can be could and more chance of rain. I would opt for middle beach area. Try these places, MacKenzie beach resort, The Sands, cabin rentals on Chesterman beach. Go on a zodiac tour up Clayquot sound to hotsprings cove. It is spectacular. Hike to the sea cave to the left of Chesterman beach at low tide. Park at Chesterman beach walk toward water and then go to the left walk around about 3 points until you see the caves. Make sure to get back before the tide comes in!!! I would then spend 2 nights at telegraph cove. That part of the Island is very different from the south part
Mar 25th, 2006, 10:50 AM

Hi I guess I should edit before I send. Early June can be cold.
Mar 28th, 2006, 12:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so very much...appreciate the help.
Mar 29th, 2006, 09:43 AM

We have stayed at Middle Beach Lodge and absolutely loved it.