How Much Time in Banff and Jasper ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking of going to Banff, including Lake Louise, and Jasper NP in mid September. I enjoy leisurely drives with plenty of stops for photo ops, hiking, biking, and generally relaxing and soaking up the surroundings.

Is two weeks in the area a good amount of time for this? Too much? Too little? I'd probably spend a day or two in Calgary as well. Any other suggestions of places to visit nearby?

TIA
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 02:52 AM

I would suggest 3 days in each location and one to travel from one to the other.Paul. Becker chalets in Ja
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 02:53 AM

Sorry, Becker chalets in Jasper is a great place to stay and they have a gourmet restaurant.Paul
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. And thanks for the reco of Becker Chalets. It looks very nice. I'd been looking at Alpine Village Chalets, which is just south of Jasper, so it's probably close to Becker's. Are you familiar with it? If so, how do they compare? Thx.
Old Jul 24th, 2010, 04:28 PM

Alpine Village is about 2 km from the town of Jasper; Becker's is about 8 or 10. Alpine Village does not have a restaurant on site, but they are about 1 km from Tekarra Lodge and Restaurant, and of course, there are lots of restaurants in town. Alpine Village is the #1 rated accommodation in Jasper on TripAdvisor, and if I recall correctly, has a 3-night minimum stay requirement (although if you are planning for 2, it's still worth contacting them). Becker's is also highly rated, but it not quite as nice as Alpine Village (but probably not as expensive, either). Both are owned and operated by local families.

If you are into hiking, a two week stay will be great. There is far, far more hiking than two weeks' worth but a stay of this length would give you plenty of time to catch some highlights, both of the trails, and sightseeing generally.
Old Jul 25th, 2010, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much, krp.

The rates at Alpine and Becker's are actually comparable and Becker's has a late season discount. But I decided on Alpine.

I also booked Paradise Lodge and Bungalows in Lake Louise, which is also highly rated and looks similar to Alpine. It's pricey but has a significant early booking discount which made it very appealing.

And I have 2 nights in Banff on either end for a total of 11 nights, which should give me enough time. I'm skipping Calgary altogether.
Old Jul 27th, 2010, 01:27 PM

If you like to hike, I'd budget a day to hike in Lake Louise, a day to hike in Yoho and a day to hike on the Icefields Parkway.

So, I'd take 2-3 days to enjoy Banff, 2 full days in Lake Louise (hikes in Lake Louise and Yoho), a day to enjoy a walk on the Icefields (Helen Lake?) a day to explore the Icefields Parkway, and 3 days in Jasper. If you're planning on doing some activities as well as sightseeing, activities take time. I'd recommend 8-9 days.

banfflakelouise