Search

How many bases on PEI?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2023, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many bases on PEI?

Hello,
I have been reading Tom's posts on the other thread but thought I should start my own thread. My husband and I plan on visiting PEI this summer, either in July or August, for 6 nights. We live in MA, and we plan on driving. We will not be visiting Nova Scotia or New Brunswick as we have been there several times already. We have never been to PEI. I am using Lonely Planet's guidebook and this forum to plan the trip. We love beautiful ocean scenery, easy coastal walks and forest walks, lighthouses, historical homes, and lots and lots of fresh seafood! Especially lobster!!! Maybe we will rent bikes, too. Looks like some easy walking and biking trails.

At first I was thinking we would spend all 6 nights in Charlottetown but now I think this will be too much driving back and forth every day. So now I am wondering if we should have at least 2 bases. Not sure that I want 3 bases. I would like one base to be in Charlottetown, probably for 3 or 4 nights. It looks like Charlottetown would be a good base to visit Eastern PEI, and I like spending some time in a city to have easy access to restaurants and shops. What would be a good second base? Somewhere in Western PEI?

Does anyone have accommodations recommendations? Hotels, B&B, inns? We prefer not to stay in a chain unless the price is very reasonable. I have checked some out on booking.com but I like to hear from people who have stayed in these places or are familiar with the location. And how far in advance should we make reservations?

Thank you!
Old Jan 14th, 2023, 12:45 PM

Karen,

I guess it really comes down to how long do you like to be in the car to get to see the island? If’s it no more than an hour yep better move every few days, if 2-3 hours you can stay in Charlottetown and see most of the island. We typically stay in the Cavendish or North Rustico area and can get to all of our favorite places in about 2 hours.

As I noted in the PEI thread Halifax and PEI

Charlottetown can get crazy busy when cruise ships come to visit and 4,000 folks visit with some taking tours others just walking around.

So no more than an hour driving stay a night in Souris or Montague, then Charlottetown and move to Summerside and then to Tignish. Book early places book quickly in July & August.

Let us know your final plan .

Enjoy the island.

Tom
Old Jan 14th, 2023, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Hi Tom,
Thank you for your quick reply. When you say "no more than an hour driving" do you mean an hour one-way, or RT? Your suggested itinerary means we would have 4 bases, which I really don't want to do. We don't mind driving one hour each way to visit different places on PEI. But we would prefer not to drive too much further than that. Perhaps we would be willing to drive further, if necessary, for 1 or 2 days but not every day. That wouldn't be relaxing. For example, we were in Greece last May, and one day we drove 1 hour and 45 minutes one way to see some ruins we really wanted to see, but I wouldn't want to do that every day. So how does this sound for a possibility:

Option #1:
Souris - 2 nights
Charlottetown - 2 nights
Summerside - 2 nights

Option #2:
Souris - 2 nights
Charlottetown - 2 nights
West Point Lighthouse Inn (or some place nearby) - 2 nights

Option#3:
Souris - 2 nights
Charlottetown - 2 nights
Tignish - 2 nights
Is there enough to see/do in and around Tignish? It seems like a quiet corner of PEI. I found a nice inn in Tignish, the Tignish Heritage Inn and Gardens.

What are the typical temperatures in July and August? I know I can check some weather data websites, but I like to hear from people who have first-hand experience.

Thank you!
Karen

Old Jan 14th, 2023, 06:08 PM

Karen,

My vote is opinion 1.

1 hour out 1 hour back. The roads outside of Charlottetown are 1 lane in each direction. The further you get away from Charlottetown and Summerside you have no traffic. If you do encounter traffic they have many places to pass. Most locals do NOT drive the speed limit often they above the posted limit. Do not be surprised if they are close to your bumper…lol. You have many lighthouses, road side craft shops art galleries, pottery etc. PEI has many artisans soap, art, etc

1 night is enough for Tignish.

It really depends on how you want to spend your day, walking on a beach or seeing the sights or a little of both. You can spend the entire day at Greenwich National Park, a few hours checking out the boardwalk across the water and then at the beach. Same for Brackley and Cavendish National Parks. If you want to see Anne of Green Gables in Cavendish that is at least 2 hours combined that with the a walk at the Homestead Trail in the National park another day. Have dinner at New Glasgow Lobster Supper. Or go to a Ceilidh in Stanley Bridge.

Weather can be warm in the mid 70’s to 80’s but always a wind on the island, and you can have rain in the morning and a beautiful day in the afternoon. Those farm fields are green because of the rain! To say the weather is changeable would be a good way to think about it. Just because it’s raining in Charlottetown does not mean it’s raining in Cavendish! Weather radar is your friend..lol

I hope this helps, if not ask away we will try to fill in the areas.

Tom

Old Jan 15th, 2023, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Tom, thank you so much. You are very helpful.

We would not spend a whole day laying on the beach swimming. I see ourselves doing a little of both on any given day (sightseeing and then some beach time, either walking or swimming.) I definitely want to spend time doing coastal walks, or bike rides, and the boardwalk at the Greenwich Dunes looks spectacular. We also like to visit lighthouses, historic homes, fishing villages, shops, art galleries, and of course eat lots of seafood, especially lobster! So, knowing this, what do you think is the best itinerary?

I am thinking of either my Option 1, which you like, or possibly 2 nights in Souris and 4 nights in Charlottetown. If we spend 4 nights in Charlottetown, we could take a day trip to Western PEI to see the Bottle House, West Point Lighthouse and the Lennox Island Cultural Center, and possibly Tignish. It's about a 2-hour drive from Charlottetown to Tignish. Or, given what I just listed as interests in Western PEI, would we be better off going with my Option 1? I assume it makes the most sense to visit PEI NP, Cavendish and Rustico from Charlottetown. I am thinking out loud here, trying to get a sense of what we would visit and what we would do from each base.
Old Jan 15th, 2023, 10:42 AM

Karen, about the weather in July and August. It's usually very pleasant, with daytime highs of 20ºC to 30ºC and evenings in the 18º to 24º range. It will definitely be cooler the closer you are to the water. You may want a light sweater if walking in the evening. We (I say "we", as I live in neighbouring Nova Scotia) don't usually get a lot of rain in July and August. However, we do get tropical or post-tropical storms in summer and early fall. They aren't frequent, but you can expect strong winds and a deluge if one passes through while you're here.

tic195 offers really great advice about PEI. The one thing I would mention is that we avoid Charlottetown as a base. As tlc195 pointed out, it can get really busy. Automobile traffic can feel really slow, especially on rainy days, when all those cottagers drive in to the city. We have stayed in the area between Stanhope and North Rustico, most recently at the Seawind Cottages in Rustico. https://seawindscottages.ca Unfortunately, I think they prefer to rent by the week, although we have had shorter stays in the off-season.
Old Jan 15th, 2023, 11:45 AM

Karen,

Regarding bike riding I posted this in the PEI/Halifax thread. I checked google maps and did not see the bike rental stores most likely because they are only open in the summer. We usually bring our bikes with us but I did note the places to rent bikes. Also in Cavendish and North Rustico are places to rent bikes.

We really liked this section of the Confederation Trail because of the water views. Take a look at Google maps aerial view and you can see the trail as noted below.Confederate Trial in Morell

In Morell the Confederation Trail crosses 2 before 322. Parking is on the right side at the information center. Stop here and go to the left onto the trail about a mile or so down the path is a beautiful old RR bridge which is the longest of its kind on the trail. Fantastic views from the bridge, if you continue down the trail you will cross 2 smaller bridges along the way to St. Peters. The section of the Confederation trail between Morell & St Peters is considered the most scenic by many folks. I rode this section several times and it was amazing with water views most of the way. It does not matter where you start the ride. On the St. Peters side you can park in the visitor’s center and start the trail. There are bike rentals in both of those towns.

The distance on the Confederation Trail between St Peters and Morell is about 7 miles, the Trail is hardpacked small gravel. If you are really energetic, you could expand the trip to include Mount Stewart to the West, if you did that, the distance between Mount Stewart (also a Welcome Station) and St Peters is about 16 miles one way.

I am a red head with fair skin that burns not tans, so we always walk the beaches never long enough in one place….lol. FYI the National Parks charge to enter while the provincial parks do not charge a fee and offer beach access. Basin Head aka Singing Sands by Souris , Canoe Cover the Lloyd Inman Memorial Park is fantastic at low tide, check the tide schedule for when to visit. Cabot Beach Provincial Park is also nice .

I think you need to take a look at google maps to figure travel times. 4 days in Charlottetown would drive me crazy I hate traffic coming from Philadelphia I avoid at all cost. Really look at Cavendish to stay, Charlottetown is 30 minutes 1 way. You want to avoid Cavendish during July 6-8 when a large country music festival is happening, 50K folks attending the concert gets nuts.

I hope this helps. Really hard to tell folks where to stay and do since we never met…lol all I can do is give you our 30 year’s experience visiting the island.

Tom
Old Jan 15th, 2023, 12:16 PM

Karen,

I see you are coming from Mass. Here is how we go to PEI, believe me we have tried them all. If you are not planning on stopping in NB or NS .When you get to Bangor, Me your gps will want you to take route 1. It is less miles BUT it is stop and go lights with many sections are a single lane highway. 95 above Bangor the speed limit is 75 mph with many doing 90mph!!

Take 95 north to the Canadian border. Stop for gas at exit 302 Houlton make a left at the bottom of the ramp gas stations on the left and right. Gas in Canada is $5-6 per gallon so top off.

Next is Canadian customs get your passport ready.

Take 2 to 16 to the Confederation Bridge. After crossing the bridge stay left this will avoid the Tourist Information Area u less you need more information, 16 turns into 1. Stay on 1 towards Charlottetown and get off on route 13 north in Crapaud (yea that is NOT a misspelling) 13 winds around but will take you to Cavendish.

You can also stop at Victoria by the Sea near Crapaud. Victoria is a nice place to stretch your legs, and get a feel for PEI village with artisan shops and restaurants. Richard’s a great place for lobster rolls is here.

Charlottetown is about 30 minutes away from Victoria by staying on 1.

Tom

Last edited by tlc195; Jan 15th, 2023 at 12:20 PM.
Old Jan 15th, 2023, 02:59 PM

Karen,

Check TripAdvisor for restaurant reviews for the many restaurants on the island, we find it very helpful when trying to decide where to eat. Hotel, shops, attractions reviews and to get an idea what others think. You are a world traveler so I am sure you have looked at in the past.

Free Gardens

We have discovered 3 free gardens on the island:

PEI Island Preserve Company, New Glasgow

Do not miss the beautiful free “Gardens of Hope” adjacent to the store and restaurant to walk around.

https://preservecompany.com

The Preserve Co is interesting if you like jelly/jams, they make them on site. The restaurant is good for breakfast.

Dunes Gallery Brackley Beach

They have great gardens out back, do not miss them. We think this is the best one. The store is fun to visit. Also definitely visit the store very interesting gift shop, art gallery one of the largest on the island. The restaurant in the shop is good .

http://www.dunesgallery.ca

Church of St. Joseph, Kelly’s Cross

The garden is adjacent to the church it is small but well maintained. It is on 13 on your way to Cavendish.

https://www.joinmychurch.org/churche...-Canada/423062

1475 Route 13 Kelly's Cross

More gardens to discover here

https://www.todocanada.ca/12-gardens...edward-island/

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...rd_Island.html

Enjoy

Tom

Old Jan 15th, 2023, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

Tom and AnselmAdorne, thank you so much for your responses. I plan on printing them out and bringing them with me. Tom, I have started making a list of restaurants that you mention on the Halifax/PEI thread. I do use TA for reviews, and recently someone recommended The Fork for restaurant reviews.

Based on what the both of you have said about Charlottetown, we definitely won't stay there for 4 nights. So I am still considering my Option 1 plan:
Souris - 2 nights (I found a nice inn, Johnson Shore Inn, in Hermanville, close to Souris
Charlottetown - 2 nights (it looks so pretty and I do like being able to walk to restaurants and shops for a couple nights so I think we can handle the traffic for 2 nights)
Summerside - 2 nights (from here we can easily sightsee in Western PEI, such as Lennox Island, Tignish, Cedar Dunes Provincial Park)

OR if we delete Charlottetown altogether as a base, then:
Souris - 2 nights
And somewhere in or near Cavendishs for 4 nights
If we stay in Cavendish, then it doesn't make sense to also stay in Summerside as they are about 30 minutes apart.

Does this second plan make any sense?
And, yes, I have been checking drive times on google maps.
I might even make my decision based on accommodations that I find.

Last edited by KarenWoo; Jan 15th, 2023 at 05:31 PM.
Old Jan 15th, 2023, 05:36 PM

Does this second plan make any sense?

Yes…lol

Tom

Old Jan 15th, 2023, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Regarding the route to take from Massachusetts, we won't be stopping in New Brunswick or Nova Scotia because we have been there several times. This is meant to be a short vacation focusing one one province because we will be spending 2.5 weeks in Scotland in June.

Tom, thank you for the driving directions. It's about a 10-hour drive for us. We might split up the trip at a half-way point, perhaps Bar Harbor, and stay one night.

AnselmAdorne, I checked out Seawind Cottages, and they do have a one-week minimum rental. I am looking at B&B's, inns, and small hotels. We don't usually rent cottages or houses unless we are with our children and grandchildren, such as when we spend a week on Cape Cod in MA. I prefer not to cook while on vacation.
Old Jan 18th, 2023, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Tom and AnselmeAdorne,

Because you have been so helpful, I want to let you know what our plans are. I have reserved our first 2 nights at Johnson Shore Inn in Hermanville, close to Souris.
https://www.jsipei.com/

Then I have reserved 4 nights at the Barachois Inn in North Rustico. I decided to take your advice and not base in Charlottetown. We will visit Charlottetown from our base at the Barachois Inn.
https://barachoisinn.com/

This is for August.

Thank you so much for all of your help. Your advice was invaluable.
Karen
Old Jan 18th, 2023, 06:18 PM

Karen,

So glad it worked out for you. I think you will enjoy the area and the island. Definitely check out North Rustico several great restaurants in the town. I see a trip to New Glasgow Lobster Supper in your future…lol make sure you are hungry when you go!!

Tom