Hotels between Jasper and Lake Louise?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2007, 11:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I realize that the distance between Jasper and Lake Louise is 232km, and am hoping to find a hotel between the two places. By doing so, I am hoping to cut driving time and get more time for hiking.

The only one which I can find is the Sunwapta Falls Resort, and there are quite a few bad reviews on tripadvisor.com indicating what a rundown and overprised hotel it is. Would love to avoid this location.

Does anyone know of any other hotel located on the Icefields Parkway?
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 06:38 AM

There is very little accommodation between Jasper and Lake Louise.

Starting in Lake Louise and moving northwards, there are the following properties:

<b>Num Ti Jah Lodge</b>. It overlooks Bow Lake. It’s about a half hour drive from Lake Louise. Rustic but charming property.

<b>Crossing Resort</b>. It’s located at Saskatchewan River Crossing, where the David Thompson Highway (Hwy #11) makes a T-junction with the Icefields Parkway (Hwy #93). According to my recollection, this is about 50 minutes’ drive north of Lake Louise. It is not a “resort” by any stretch of the imagination. It’s a motel.

<b>Icefields Chalet</b>. Located at the Columbia Icefields, about half way between Lake Louise and Jasper, so about 1˝ hours’ drive from each. Also a motel-like property.

<b>Sunwapta Falls Resort</b>. Further north on the Icefields Parkway. Can’t remember the distance from Jasper – maybe 40 minutes. Again, it is not a “resort.”

As I think I’ve mentioned here before, there seem to be different hotel naming conventions in the USA and Canada. When I’ve travelled in the United States, a “resort” has been a hotel with a swimming pool, tennis courts and usually a golf course. In Canada, or at least in THIS part of Canada, there are some quite modest properties that refer to themselves as resorts.

There is only one place to fill up with gas on the Icefields Parkway, and that is at Saskatchewan River Crossing. The price of gas there is very high. You would do well to leave Banff / Lake Louise with a full tank, and then fill up again before you return from Jasper.

The restaurant at the Columbia Icefields is very ordinary, one notch up from greasy spoon. Ditto for Saskatchewan River Crossing. I have had good meals at Sunwapta Falls, but have not eaten there recently. Num Ti Jah Lodge serves good food.

The popular thing to do at the Columbia Icefields is to ride an Ice Explorer (a bus with super fat tires) onto the Athabasca Glacier. Something that I have not done myself, but that I have heard is a BRILLIANT thing to do is a guided ice walk onto the Athabasca Glacier. They have different walks on different days. Some last about 3 hours, and some last about 5 hours. Reservations essential:

http://www.icewalks.com/

Unless you are experienced in traversing glaciers, and have the ropes and all the other appropriate equipment, do not walk on the Athabasca Glacier alone. Once in a blue moon a tourist does that, and falls into a crevasse. If the fall doesn’t kill them, they die of hypothermia before rescuers reach them.
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 10:31 AM

Judy's information coincides with my findings. I have not stayed overnight at the Icefields Chalet at the Icefields Center. The motel part is above the museum part.

My son was there for one night two years ago. He said the room was find, but the food was not very good.

We stayed at The Crossing once. Unless it has changed, it is little more than a place to sleep. As I recall the food was not very good. The room was ok, but small.

Turning off of the Icefields Parkway at The Crossing, where the David Thompson Highway, branches off toward Rocky Mountain House and Red Deer, is not a solution either because you have to drive quite a ways to find anything decent.

The first time we drove the full length of the Parkway, we stayed at the Crossing. Since then, we have driven it selectively. After the first trip we knew what was there even if we did not see it all. In subsequent visits, we have gone to places bypassed earlier.

If you have limited time, I suggest you get an early start, put in a long day, and do what you can to see the sights.

You cannot see it all in one day, so you will need to be selective.