Hotel search in Toronto

Jul 8th, 2001, 07:11 PM
dale

Hotel search in Toronto

My family is staying in Toronto for a few days in August to see The Lion King play. We are looking for a good hotel but not too expensive. Any thoughts on The Metropolitan Hotel on Chestnut Street?

Jul 9th, 2001, 05:23 AM
Mark

My wife and I have stayed at the Metropolitan previously and will be returning in August which indicates where the answer is going.

The Metropolitan is rated 4 diamond by AAA/CAA and 4 star by the more critical Mobil Guide, so that says plenty. Dining in the Metropolitan's two restaurants (one Cantonese, the other Continental) is highly rated by both organizations as well. (And both get high ratings in Zagat's, as well.)

Based on past experience we expect the decor of the hotel to be first-rate, as was the service, room maintainence and furnishings.

There's an indoor pool and workout facilities, with nearby locker rooms. All are immaculately clean, well equipped and first-rate.

But... rooms tend to be on the small side, which is not an issue to us as there are only two of us staying. You don't mention budget or number of people in your family but I would guess that you might be looking for adjoining rooms. You also do not mention ages of children, if any. But I would suggest that if the kids are younger, pre-teen you might want to think in terms of the Delta Chelsea, which is geared more to families that include them.

As to the Metropolitan's rates; we find prices to be exceptional for this highly rated a property. Although you'll see various rates on different websites, we got the best deal by calling the Toronto Metropolitan (there's another one of the same name owned by the same company in Vancouver). We were quoted $169. (CDN) per night (Leisure Rate) for (Deluxe) room, parking and full American breakfasts for two.

You can get a feel for this hotel at the website, www.metropolitan.com and if you choose to pursue staying there call them (you've got nothing to lose, the Toronto hotel is at 1-800-668-6600), because based on my experience, they will top any web/online tariff offered.

Jul 9th, 2001, 05:29 AM
mary

The Metropoliitan is in Chinatown and a bit of a walk North east from the theatre. The restaurant is pricy and features Chinese, and as can be expected the entire hotel has a chinese theme.

There is a hotel right by The Eaton Centre/City Hall, which I believe to be a Marriot (just a touch closer to the theatre but in a more touristy area). There is also a Holiday Inn on King Street which is just west of the theatre. Tons of hotels south but now you are hitting the lake and I'm sure prices go up. Check toronto.com for map info. The show is fabulous - you'll have a great time.

Jul 9th, 2001, 08:52 AM
Bob

The Toronto Novotel is a good choice as well. Close to everything and right by the wonderful farmers market, good pubs on same street, good rates. Nice rooms.

Jul 9th, 2001, 01:35 PM
Mark

In Chinatown?

Walking distance to Chinatown is more accurate (It is just north of City Hall and also within easy walking distance of Eaton Center. (As a matter of fact, check out the hotel in Travelocity.com where they list for each hotel the distance between it and various Toronto sites of interest to tourists.

Chinese decor? Well, Le Wai Heen, the Cantonese restaurant is a four diamond -four star establishment and the owner is Chinese, but the ambiance, style is European/Modern. Check out the photos on their site and see for yourself.

Jul 11th, 2001, 07:21 AM
Suzie-Q

There is a Holiday Inn on King street which is one block from the theatre. Did you look into that one. It is a fairly new building.

Jul 11th, 2001, 08:04 AM
bennie

Just got back from a stay at the Chelsea Delta Inn on Gerrard between Bay and Yonge. We were a family of 4 with kids 5 and 8. Great hotel for families with young kids - good location, caf was easy with the kids, rooms were a bit small but workable, family pool and creative center were hits with the kids. Adult pool and lounge were hits with mom and dad.

Jul 14th, 2001, 03:57 PM
Alex

I'd like to put a plug in for the Holiday Inn on King Street West, as well. It's not mentioned very much in these forums, but we thought it was a pretty good deal, and in a fantastic location.

You will be a very short walk from the theatre, and within walking distance to TONS of restaurants, SkyDome, CN Tower, etc.

We paid $169/night (Canadian) for a double room. If you bring a car, parking is about $16 a day to park in their garage.

Most of the rooms have really nice views. And, here's a few things you may want to know: Rooms also include a coffee maker, and some rooms include an extra sink in the room.

Rooms also have an iron with ironing board, and a good quality hair dryer in the bathroom. Unlike most hotels, the bathroom actually had a large cabinet below the sink to store all your stuff; and there's always plenty of large, thick towels.

Everything was always clean, and the staff were very friendly.

They have a restaurant in the hotel (The Canadian Bar & Grill) and room service. The kids staying in the hotel eat for FREE. The restaurant has a breakfast buffet every morning for about $10.95 a person. Their dinnertime menu is very good, and we had an excellent dinner there one evening. The restaurant is opened until very late (unlike others in the area), which can be convenient after a night at the theatre.

My only complaints about the hotel would have to be: not a lot of channels to choose from on the TV; we were only supplied with a few hangers and could've used more; and, as is the case with most newer places these days, the walls could be a lot thicker. It was a common occurrence to be in the bathroom and hear the people next to you in THEIR bathroom/shower.

You will LOVE Toronto!! It's a great city!

Jul 14th, 2001, 03:59 PM
Alex

Sorry--forgot to add:

Holiday Inn on King also has a fitness room, sauna, and a small pool.

I didn't actually go up to the pool, but my 9 year old loved it. I heard it's a shallow pool, though, with no deep end.