Search

Help With Car Ferry From Victoria to Seattle

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2003, 04:32 PM
tpl
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help With Car Ferry From Victoria to Seattle

Sorry if this is a repeat, my previous post never showed up on this board . . .<BR><BR>Hello,<BR><BR>We'll be traveling to Victoria from Port Angeles by car ferry this July. From Victoria we want to head to Seattle.<BR><BR>So far the only way I have found to do this is to ferry into Anacortes, then drive down to Seattle. Am I missing anything? Thanks!
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 05:22 PM

You're forgetting about the BC Ferries.<BR><BR>http://www.bcferries.bc.ca<BR><BR>The BC Ferries are large vessels taking, I believe 400 cars/trucks/buses, etc over at once. The run frequently, and they might actually be cheaper. They're definitely the most common method of getting between Vancouver Island and the mainland.<BR><BR>From Victoria, the major BC ferry terminal is located a 20 minute drive north of the city in Swartz Bay. The ferry across takes about an hour and 15 minutes, and then you're on the mainland in Tsawwassen. The drive to the USA-Canada border from Tsawwassen takes about 15 minutes, and then once you cross the border, it's a straight 2 hour drive into Seattle.<BR><BR>Take a look at their schedules online and see how it compares.
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 05:54 PM
tpl
Original Poster

Thanks Carmanah,<BR><BR>That looks like a much better option. <BR><BR>On BC Ferries there is a choice between leaving from Duke Point or Swartz Bay to get to Tsawwassen. Do you know if one route is more scenic? Swartz Bay would be more convenient, as we will be coming from Sooke.<BR><BR>In either case, if we take BC Ferries, we will spend a little more time driving, but less time on the ferry (as oppposed to Wash. State Ferry). On the Washington State Ferry website, it also looks like the westbound sailing stops in Friday Harbor before continuing on to Anacortes. <BR><BR>Any idea what the border crossing will be like midweek in July?<BR><BR>Really appreciate your help.<BR><BR>
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 06:41 PM

Midweek in July shouldn't really be too bad. It really varies depending on the hour. It's usually the weekends that you'll be faced with a longer wait. Heading southbound, I really doubt you'd be waiting longer than half an hour. The earlier you get there the better, I find. Just keep a listen to the local radio stations - I forget the ones exactly - but many do &quot;border reports&quot; during the news break, giving you the approximate waiting time at the border.<BR><BR>Duke Point is in the city of Nanaimo, about a 2 hour drive north of Victoria. Unless you want to add more time on Vancouver Island, exploring the towns of Duncan or Chemainus along the east coast of the island, I'd forget it and just depart from Swartz Bay. Plus, the ferry from Swartz Bay to Tsawwassen are more interesting, as they take you through the narrow channels between the Gulf Islands.<BR><BR>The only advantage to Duke Point is if you were coming from Tofino, or if you were planning to head up to Whistler (north of Vancouver) - as most Duke Point ferries go to Horseshoe Bay, the ferry terminal north of Vancouver.
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 07:00 PM

If your goal is the easiest/fastest trip to Seattle from Victoria, why not do a roundtrip between Victoria and Port Angeles. When you returned, you'd drive east to Bainbridge Island, and take the ferry from there to Seattle. Anything is more scenic than I-5.
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 07:01 PM

News 1130 (AM) does the border reports most every 10 minutes on the ones usually right after the traffic.
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 07:26 PM

I was under the impression that the Port Angeles-Victoria ferry took longer because you usually have to wait a long time to board, sometimes up to an entire day.
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 07:35 PM
tpl
Original Poster

Hadn't thought of Bainbridge Island. Wondering if it might be more trouble to count on two ferry connections in one day (during high season)?
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 07:36 PM

Just to set the record straight about the ferries from Nanaimo...Duke Point is just south of the city of Nanaimo and the ferries go to Tsawassen, Departure Bay terminal is in Nanaimo and the ferries from this terminal go to Horseshoe Bay. As for your first posting, it turned up on the U.S. forum, cause I was just browsing there.
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 08:21 PM
tpl
Original Poster

Ack! Why would it take an entire day to board the ferry?
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 10:07 PM

If I recall, you can put your car in the parking area for the ferry (Victoria to Port Angeles), then go off and do things in Victory, returning at boarding time.<BR><BR>Check the schedules for the Bainbridge Is. ferry, but I think it runs fairly often, as this is a major Seattle ferry route and not a great distance.<BR><BR>
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 10:13 PM

Here's the webs site for the State of WA ferry to Bainbridge Island. It is basically a commuter ferry. You can drive off of the island on the west side, and on to Port Angeles. It is a great ride in, seeing Seattle.
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 10:13 PM

oops! It's getting late. Here's the web site:<BR><BR>http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/sche...m?route=sea-bi
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 12:05 AM

tpl,<BR><BR>The Coho ferries between Victoria and Port Angeles don't run frequently and lineups can be long in summer. It has been said here, I think, that it can take up to a whole day to get on. Arrive early and leave your car in the parking lot while you go off for breakfast (I prefer to get the first ferry out in the morning) or whatever. Last I heard, leaving your car in the lot overnight is not allowed any more for security reasons, so phone the company beforehand and find out how soon you can arrive. They usually have a fair idea of how the traffic will be. If taking this route only one way, people seem to prefer to go from Victoria to Port Angeles rather than the other way since there is more to do on the Victoria side. <BR><BR>BC Ferries, which is just switching from crown corporation to independent ownership, usually runs every hour in the summertime. The Swartz Bay route is scenic through the Gulf Island part, and is the one I would recommend. To get to Swartz Bay from Sooke you can cross over from Hwy 1 to Hwy 17 at Helmcken Rd. or, if you miss that, at McKenzie Ave. Reservations on the ferry cost extra and you have to arrive at the terminal between 30 and 60 minutes before the sailing. The fee is non-refundable.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 09:20 AM
tpl
Original Poster

Confused . . . does the reference to waiting a whole day for the Coho ferry mean that an earlier ferry might be full, so you would have to wait all day to get a space on a later ferry? They appear to run 4 per day in summer.<BR><BR>They are the only ferry service from Port Angeles to Victoria, yes?
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 10:01 AM

1. Yes, exactly.<BR>2. There is the Victoria Express which runs part of the year and is a passenger only ferry, I believe.<BR><BR>I'd be inclined to do what others here have suggested - that is, take the BC ferry to Victoria from Tsawwassen<BR>to Swartz Bay. Then consider taking the Coho from Victoria to Port Angeles. Even then, I would call the Coho the night before for a traffic report and be prepared to take the BC ferry out of Swartz Bay instead.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 10:26 AM
tpl
Original Poster

Thanks April,<BR><BR>Our trip will originate in Port Angeles, so we would have to take the Coho ferry to Victoria for that leg. On the way back we would probably take the BC Ferry from Swartz Bay to Tsawwassen.<BR><BR>Though at this point I'm wondering if it might be easier (and about the same cost) to leave our car in Port Angeles, take the Victoria Express RT and rent a car in Victoria. We could pick up our car on our return to Port Angeles, on our way to Seattle.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 10:40 AM

You could always play it by ear and see how it looks once you get to Port Angeles. I believe you can reserve on the Victoria Express though.
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 01:30 PM
ALF

It might be a cost-effective choice to leave your car in Port Angeles, but I wouldn't. The drive from there to Seattle is quite long, as the road (Rte 101) is windy and slow, plus you will have to catch another ferry to get across Puget Sound. During the summer, you may very well miss at least one ferry, and have to wait for a 2nd or 3rd run before you get across. Finally, the crossing from Victoria to the mainland is quite scenic and worthwhile in its own right. <BR><BR>I have always liked the Sydney to Anacortes run on the WA State Ferry, but it is a much longer run, and goes infrequently. Anacortes is only 1.5 hours from Seattle. The Swartz Bay to Tsawwassen run on the BC Ferry is much shorter and runs more often, but you will be at least another hour further away from Seattle.
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 06:55 PM

I fully agree with Carmanah that the BC Ferry is the way to go for you. I took it last summer with my family in a minivan between Tsawwassen and Swartz Bay(and vice versa). It's ontime and a nice way to go. CAVEAT: BE SURE you get reservations ahead of time. Go to the BC Ferry website and make your online reservation. You will need to be specific on the departure dates and times, though. And the reservation fee is nonrefundable. Last year there were hundreds of cars without reservations waiting for hours in long boring lines for spots on board. With our reservation in hand we pulled up to the booth, gave them the reservation page we printed from the online booking service, paid our fare, and waited only about 40 minutes to board.