Help to make choice!

Old Jun 9th, 2004, 11:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Help to make choice!

I have 14 days to travel from Vancouver to Calgary. Should I spend more time in Vancouver, an overnight in Victoria or more time in the National Parks region? So far I have 4 nights Vancouver (including day trip to Victoria), 1 night Kamloops, 2 nights Jasper, 2 nights Banff, 1 night Lake Louise and 4 nights Calgary. I think I might have more than I need in Calgary and should spend it somewhere else.
Thanks
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just my personal preference but I'd allot 2 days in Victoria, especially if you plan to take the ferry back and forth. Four days in Vancouver is good. So I'd subtract 1 of the days from the Calgary itinerary.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 11:42 AM

If it was my choice, I would use two of the days that you have alloted to Calgary for Victoria, but I wouldn't cut back on the days spent in the Rockies.

And how about spending a day in the Okanagan - drive to Kelowna instead of Kamloops (via the Coquihalla Connector highway).

So it would look like this:
3 nights Vancouver (no day trip to Victoria during this time)
2 nights Victoria
2 nights Kelowna
3 nights Banff (visit Lake Louise from Banff, only a 45 minute drive)
2 nights Jasper
2 nights Calgary (the drive from Jasper to Calgary will take about 4 hours not including stops, but you will be driving the spectacular Icefields Parkway for a second time in the opposite direction so different views of the mountains).

The advantage of this route is that you will drive Kelowna to Banff along Roger's Pass and through Glacier National Park and Yoho National Park, which you would miss if you drove Kamloops to Jasper along highway #5.

And if you were planning to visit Mt. Robson Provincial Park, it can be done as a day trip from Jasper as it is only about 80 km (50 miles) from Jasper townsite.

Old Jun 10th, 2004, 12:02 PM

I would cut down the time in Calgary, maybe to two days... unless perhaps one of those days was spent going to the Royal Tyrrell Museum. My first choice would be to add time to the National Parks region - I think the Rockies are the best part of Canada; second choice would be to spend two nights in the Okanagan and skip Kamloops. We had a lovely time in Naramata in the Okaganan last year.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 08:23 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the suggestions. They do improve my itinerary.We will be in Calgary for stampede so I wanted to give myself enough time to see the goings on there as well. Even so, four nights seemed like too much.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 08:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. They improve my itinerary. We are in Calgary for stampede so I wanted to give myself enough time to see the sights, but I though four nights sounded like too much. I'm glad I asked.