Gulf Islands - How much is enough?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2004, 09:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am researching a spring trip with my mom and sister. We haven't been to the Gulf Islands, but have visited Victoria and toured Vancouver Is. We're thinking of the Gulf Islands as an alternative to the San Juans. Would a week long stay be too much? What island would you most recommend? We'd like a balance of touristing, outdoor activities and relaxing. Thanks!
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 03:35 AM

To some extent it depends when you're going. The Saturday Saltspring Market starts in April and is a lot of fun, so I would certainly include that in your itinerary if you can. It might be an idea to make Saltspring your home base, and do day trips to the other islands from there. It's the most populated of the islands; there are lots of artists' studios, and you can get a map that indicates where they are, so you can drive around and visit the ones that interest you. Galiano is beautiful; we've gone horseback riding up on Bodega Ridge there, although that was a few years ago and I don't know if the stable is still operating. Personally I wouldn't consider a week too long; I've rented a cottage on Saltspring and stayed for two weeks, and wasn't bored for a minute! Have a great trip.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 07:18 PM

Do you really want to chill out for this vacation?
The islands are for a real chill out time. From Victoria, I consider any island a nice summer daytrip by mobike.
Some post how they enjoyed their week on Saltspring, but I would be screaming to get off by day three.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 10:15 PM

It also depends what the original poster means by outdoor activities. Hiking, kayaking, etc. - it would be easy to spend a week doing such things if they interest you. There isn't a great deal to "tourist".
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 11:12 PM
Original Poster

Re. last post...yes, hiking, biking, kayaking!
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 11:20 PM
R

Depending on what time of year you're going, day trips to other islands might not be too feasible/easy. However, in summertime, there are water taxis even, that add options.
I think a week is definitely not too much, esp. if you'd like a little quieter pace of life. Definitely recommend Salt Spring for one of your islands. It offers some small town/culture feel, lots of dining options, artists galore...touring by car (as it's a big island). Heard there's horseback riding & kayaking that's nice, too.

Otherwise, I've been to both Mayne & Galiano very briefly. Galiano had some neat places to hike & again, supposedly has good kayaking. (just didn't have time to try it) It's more residential than having any town...as is Mayne. And, being that it's closer to Vancouver, as I recall...perhaps more weekend urban getaway people, vs. a bit more year-round types on Mayne. Both are very quiet. And, both offer fun discoveries. Good luck to you & post more if you have any further questions. (We've been to Salt Spring 2-3x & the others, once each.)