Search

grizzly bears

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
grizzly bears

Hi,
Having just had amazing safari in Africa including gorillas and chimps wondering about going to do trip to see grizzly's. anyone done this---what is best time of year and where do you go. Also what else would be interesting to incorporate in a trip. We like trekking holiday but only of moderate intensity and then ending up in some nice accomadation with bathroom and meals provided for say 5 day trek.
Thanks
Mooky
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 06:57 AM

Grizzly viewing tours in B.C. (British Columbia). Google terms like ecotours or grizzly and b.c. or british columbia and you'll start to find some info.

If you're travelling this far, you might want to also visit the Canadian Rocky Mountains - lots of adventure tours offered in that region also (e.g. Banff and Jasper National Parks). Wildlife frequently viewed in these includes Moose, Elk, Bighorn Sheep, Mountain Goats, Deer, maybe Black Bear, various smaller animals (e.g. marmots), and interesting birds (eagles, etc.).

Or head north into the Yukon and Alaska.
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 08:49 AM

I did a trip to Knight Inlet Lodge in BC a few years ago in early October to see grizzlies and it was amazing. I would highly recommend it. I also went on a boat trip from there to see orcas, and kayaked in the inlet where we lost count of the eagles in the surrounding trees after about 70.

The accommodations and food are simple and comfortable rather than upscale but that didn't detract from the experience in the least, IMO.
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 10:40 AM

There's also polar bear watching in Churchill, Manitoba.
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 12:59 PM

Hyder, Alaska, just across the border from Stewart, British Columbia is also a good choice for grizzly and black bear viewing from mid-July to early Sept. Here are a few examples:

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/309702/index.html
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 03:06 PM

great pics dwood!!!

layla
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 10:53 AM

The best viewing locations in Canada for grizzy bears are remote westcoast areas far away from human activities.

I have made a great 4 day grizzly tour starting from Prince Rupert (we started in September). Best viewing times are spring and fall with a little lower acivity during the prime summer.

Guided Grizzly Tours (day tours) start from Quadra Island, Campbell River, Telegraph Cove and Port Hardy, Bella Coola, Prince Rupert. Good locations are Bute Inlet and Knight Inlet.

Multi day tours are also possible from different locations. They start from Port Hardy, Bella Bella and Prince Rupert. Viewing is done from boat. Look for key words like great bear rainforest, Khutzeymateen, bute inlet, knight inlet,

There also some tours in the interior, but the number of operators is small. Very often the tours are horse back riding trip. The tours start in Goldbridge and Banff.

You can also participate on tours to the Mitchell River (can be reached from horse fly lake or quesnel lake by float plane).

Old Oct 27th, 2007, 07:09 AM

dwooddon.....your photos are AMAZING!!!!!Thanks for posting them
Old Oct 27th, 2007, 10:13 AM

Fabulous photos dwood! Now I really want to plan a trip to that area. Thanks for getting me started on a whole new area of exploration!
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 03:55 AM

I recommend to keep an eye on the travel time. The different view locations have different peak viewing times. You need to be flexible with your travel planning or you have to look for the best viewing time per location.

The fishcreek platform is one of the rare viewing locations accessible by car. The people in northern BC call fishcreek a Circus because of the increasing number of visitors. It has happened, that several hundred visitor tried to access the platform at the same time. The bears feel disturbed and the number of bears at fishcreek is decreasing since several years.