getting from Tsawwassan to Vancouver

Jun 5th, 2001, 02:10 PM
Joe

getting from Tsawwassan to Vancouver

Hi. On June 11 I'll be taking a ferry from Fulford Harbour to Tsawwassan for the sake of getting to Vancouver. I'll be without a car, so I need to know of any connecting transportation to Vancouver (buses, trains, smaller ferries?)
We haven't selected any place to stay in Vancouver yet, so any input on good hotels and/or B&B's to stay would be appreciated as well.
Basically, we're looking to stay in an area that is easy to get around in without a car. So, it would be nice to be in the middle of things though I don't want to stay in an area that's so hopping that we won't be able to sleep at night. I'd settle for being a stone's throw from the epicenter if I can easily hop on a train or bus.
I was thinking of staying near Stanley Park. Will this area meet my needs or are there better locations. My girlfriend and I are in our thirties, so we'll want some nightlife, but unless a place is really compelling I doubt we'll be out much past midnight.

Jun 5th, 2001, 06:44 PM
April

I prefer staying near Stanley Park rather than right downtown. I like the Lord Stanley for it's location, but wouldn't mind knowing if there are other good places to stay in that area.

Jun 5th, 2001, 08:42 PM
Bonnie

Find out about bus arrangements that you can take right from the Ferry docks. It's about a 30 minute ride to downtown Vancouver. There will no doubt be buses returning from Victoria and heading into Vancouver (downtown). You would probably enjoy staying in the Robson Street area. Try the Pacific Palisades or the Listel hotel. Hotels near Yaletown will be good as well. Check expedia.ca or Air Canada's Websaver rates for hotels (mostly weekend deals).
Don't forget to read some of the other postings for more ideas. I love Stanley Park but it wouldn't be my first choice for an area to have people stay in Vancouver.

Jun 6th, 2001, 05:38 AM
cindy

You may know that you can't actually get from Fulford Harbour to Tsawwassen; if you want to go directly to Tsawwassen you have to go from Long Harbour. If you're going from Fulford, it will take you to Swartz Bay in Victoria, and from there you can connect to Tsawwassen, in which case you might be able to get on the bus that's already on the ferry. You might need to make a reservation, though. Did you look at the BC Ferries website? It might have some helpful info for you.

Jun 6th, 2001, 06:49 AM
Joe

Cindy,
I didn't know that you had to leave out of Long Harbour to get to Tsawwassan. Thanks.
I have checked out the BC Ferries site which is as convoluted as their routes. I'll look into booking a bus right off the ferry.
Thanks to all others for your input. I'm still not quite sure where to stay in Vancouver though. Some folks say stay near Stanley Park, others say it wouldn't be their first choice. So, if any folks want to keep the discussion alive I'd appreciate a vehement argument for or against a particular spot inside Vancouver.
Thanks again.

Jun 6th, 2001, 08:51 AM
Robyn

I see no reason to go against staying near Stanley Park other than you can be a 10 minute walk to the main shopping areas as opposed to a 2 minute walk to the main shopping areas.

One thing about staying the in the downtown/West End part of Vancouver is that it's a short walk to anywhere. Within 20 minutes you can walk acrosss this part of town, and a lot of the main attractions are located here (ie: Stanley Park, English Bay, Vancouver Aquarium, Robson Street, Gastown, Granville Island, Yaletown, Denman Street, Coal Harbour, etc)

I would suggest the Sylvia Hotel, located on English Bay. Their website is at www.sylviahotel.com - they're one of the oldest hotels in the city (though renovated). The hotel is an old brick building covered with ivy... it's a block away from Denman Street (dozens of ethnic restaurants and shops), Davie Street (the fun, lively gay neighbourhood), English Bay (most popular beach downtown with a gorgeous view)... it's about a 5 minute walk to Stanley Park as all you have to do is follow the seawall from the hotel into the entrance of the park. It's also a 10-15 minute walk away from the main shopping areas (Robson Street).

Most people will recommend it because it's a nice hotel, but it's cheap. The location is one of the best in the city (in my opinion).