Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Gaspe Peninusla Iteniary and Hotel Ideas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 09:00 AM
Jim H.

We will be driving around the Gaspe Peninsula the first week in September for 5 days. I have not seen many posts suggesting an iteniary or cities to stay at during the trip. We would appreciate ideas on both as well as any scenic highlights. Thanks.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 01:50 PM
Bob Brown

I drove the Gaspe a few years ago. <BR>Scenic highlights -- perhaps Perce Rock.<BR>The road is slow and it takes longer than you might think if you stop much.<BR>Also some parts of it involve steep, but short pitches. I recall descent/ascent angles of 17 degrees.<BR><BR>We stayed overnight at Ste. Anne des Mont and New Carlisle. I did not allow enough time, and it was quite dark when we got to both destinations. We stayed at the Beau Rivage in Ste. Anne. I cannot recall the name of the motel in New Carlisle. The desk clerk doubled as bar maid, and the office for the motel was a twin sister of the bar cash register.<BR>There is not much English spoken in those parts, so it helps to know a few hundred words in French.<BR><BR>A lot of the tourist places start closing down at the end of August, so our September trip found quite a few closed doors. <BR><BR>Frankly, the trip satisfied my curiosity about the Gaspe, and the thought of going back has not crossed my mind until now.<BR>And the reaction to the idea is: Nope. <BR><BR>

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 01:52 PM
Bob Brown

I drove the Gaspe a few years ago. <BR>Scenic highlights -- perhaps Perce Rock.<BR>The road is slow and it takes longer than you might think if you stop much.<BR>Also some parts of it involve steep, but short pitches. I recall descent/ascent angles of 17 degrees.<BR>If you look at a map, you will see there is not much of a choice when it comes to roads. We stuck to coastal route and did not venture inland to Murdochsville. <BR><BR>We stayed overnight at Ste. Anne des Mont and New Carlisle. I did not allow enough time, and it was quite dark when we got to both destinations. We stayed at the Beau Rivage in Ste. Anne. I cannot recall the name of the motel in New Carlisle. The desk clerk doubled as bar maid, and the office for the motel was a twin sister of the bar cash register.<BR>There is not much English spoken in those parts, so it helps to know a few hundred words in French.<BR><BR>A lot of the tourist places start closing down at the end of August, so our September trip found quite a few closed doors. <BR><BR>Frankly, the trip satisfied my curiosity about the Gaspe, and the thought of going back has not crossed my mind until now.<BR>And the reaction to the idea is: Nope. <BR><BR>

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 03:36 PM
Nancy

We went the exact same time last year. Major disappointment.Crossed from Tadosac area by ferry to Rimouski and drove along rock shoreline to Persce where we stayed at the best hotel and french restaurant was lovely and very good. Room nice and view of the ROck was good. GOt to walk out to the ROck but didn't bring good shoes. Otherwise the whole north shore of Gaspe has NO quaint fishing villages. Drive back on southern shore was frantic. See the Acadian Museum about their expulsion from Canada. Saw the most beautiful fishing river in quebec along the road and a great rainbow. However, NO hotels to stay at--barely a truck stop. Ended up driving across the peninsula back to Rimouski to get a hotel by 10:30 at nite. Not pleasant. We listened to John Adams book on CD for the drive and that was pleasant. Good luck.

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 01:05 AM
David

I've done"le tour de la Gaspesie" twice. I was thrilled the first time around in '93. I lucked out with great weather and the views were spectacular. However, last year I wasn't so lucky with the weather and I found the ride(3 days) to be too long. On the plus side, you will be going in September and the folliage might start to happen then. As an alternative to the Gaspe, you might try to see the Saguenay Fjords wich are only a few hours from Quebec City. Its really beautiful there too. Try to see and stay in a little town called Ste Rose du Nord. Its cute as can be! I dont know where you will be coming from but just the beginning of the Gaspe is a good 6 hours away from Quebec City. I really miscalculated the distances last year and couldnt believe how much driving it entailed. I dont mean to discourage you from going to the Gaspe but do realize that you will be doing a lot of driving if you do go. Good luck

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 10:01 AM
Louis

Part of the problem with the Gasp&eacute;, I think, is that people don't seem to realize how big an area this is. True, there isn't much to see between Le Bic and the tip of the peninsula, a 500 km drive! The scenery is nice, even spectacular at times, but 6-8 hours of it is a bit too much. On the other hand, if you like hiking, there are fantastic trails in the interior, in the Parc de la Gasp&eacute;sie (Mont Albert, Mont Jacques-Cartier). Mountain tops are 1000 m + and caribou roam the tundra there.<BR><BR>At the tip of the Peninsula, Forillon Park, Perc&eacute; and &Icirc;le Bonanventure are very spectacular. But again the south shore return route along Baie des Chaleurs is very long and even boring.<BR><BR>If you only have 5 days, I would agree with David. Go to Charlevoix and the Saguenay instead. Much less driving, just as spectacular (if not more) and more settled with very nice villages. The touristic season there doesn't end before mid-October.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 02:26 PM
zoe

I see that the Gasp&eacute; is getting a bum rap here. In all fairness people should say that it's a beautiful and very rugged place where people go to do things like hiking on the Appalachian Trail, salmon fishing, moose and caribou hunting, powder snow skiing, parasailing, snowmobiling treks, etc.<BR><BR>They don't go there for the two-seater jacuzzi or bistro experience. There are many other places for that.