Reload this Page >

Fundy National park and Hopewell Rocks

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 05:44 PM
Natasha

On our way from Nova Scotis back to US we are plannig to drive in New Brunswick and stop in Hopewell Rock and Fundy park. I've read that Hopewell Rocks is the best place to watch tides. You can walk on the ocean floor when tides are low and than wait for high tides.Is it correct? It means spending there at least half a day. Is there something else to do? Do not like the idea of just seating and waitng fot tides. What about Fundy National Park? Is it also famous for tides or is it a beatiful park? Is it worth a stop? For how long?

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 03:36 AM
Melissa

I personally have never been to fundy national park, but we are going camping there this summer so i picked up a guide book. I guess you can go hiking and discover waterfalls, you can go kayaking, see rare birds, etc. I was thinking of going to Cape Enrage. They have a day adventure that costs $49.50 per person, and you get 1/2 hour instruction and equipment, and 2 hours on the cliff with guides to either rapel or climb the rock face. I thought that sounded cool. It is in the same area. If you want a NB tourism book you can pick them up at Irving, or call 800 561-0123

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 06:04 AM
Bob Brown

Hopewell Rocks is well set up for tide viewing. You have steel stair steps on which to descend to the ocean floor level at low tide. There are some interesting formations left by the action of the tides. It is the best set up for viewing the ocean floor with a readily available return route that I saw in the area, either New Brunswick or Nova Scotia.<BR><BR>Otherwise, the park does not have that much to offer. You either go prepared to wait, or stay for just a short time. <BR>We descended the steps and walked among the formations and looked at sea shells and enjoyed the flat ocean bottom.<BR><BR>You should know the time at which the tide starts to come in. The water can rise on the order of more than 3 feet per hour. <BR><BR>Fundy National Park has a good golf course.<BR>

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 11:04 PM
Gil

Our family visited both on a trip to the Maritimes. COming from Fredericton along the Trans-Can. Hwy, the view through the Fundy Park was breathtaking, especially as we got closer to the Bay. Our ears actually popped due to the change in altitudes from the seeming mountaintops at the north entrance of the park down to the town of Alma at the other end by the bay. We had set up camp and then checked out the Hopewell Rocks in the afternoon at high tide. The next morning after checking out of Fundy we went back to Hopewell in time for low tide. The mud, if you choose to get right up to the water is VERY STICKY!!! I probably still have some of it stuck to my sandals three years later!<BR><BR>As for Fundy Park, camping out under the stars is amazing! Living in the city you don't realize how much of the night sky we can't actually see due to the light pollution. Ammenities are well provided: bathrooms, showers, playgrounds for the kids, and a little shop that sells firewood among other things. My one disappointment was the fact that you could hear airplanes landing. Now I'm not exactly sure where these planes are landing, but they do tend to snap you back to reality after staring at all those stars!