From Montreal to the ocean --- where?

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 01:59 PM
ingrid

From Montreal to the ocean --- where?

I've been trying to find this information on-line but so far, no luck: What's the closest and a reasonably nice resort/place on the coast within reasonable driving distance from Montreal? Looks like we'll be spending a week in the Laurentians, then looking for a second week somewhere on the coast. Could you recommend a place and give some estimates as to distance from Montreal?
Thanks a lot!

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 03:21 PM
Daniel Williams

The "coast" is far from Montreal. Many Quebeckers go to Old Orchard in Maine and that's about as close as the ocean gets...6 hours away give or take. Any Canadian coastline is FAR...Nova Scotia coastline is a good 16-hour drive.

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 04:01 PM
Local yokel

The closest beach people I know go to is Ogunquit, Maine. That's about 5 hours away, I guess. The Laurentians have lovely resorts. If you want to be in the U.S. , there's Vermont and New Hampshire. Also, there's the region north of Quebec City which I must confess I have never been too. I hear it is very special. You can go as far as St. Andrew's by the sea. I don't know the distance. Enjoy

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 05:36 PM
ingrid

Thanks for the responses. xxx, I tried looking at a map but they're either by province or Canada looks very small. Since you're so constructive in your advice, maybe you can recommend a good map? Prefereably one that let's me zoom in.

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 07:37 PM
Gary

Montreal is 1500 K's from the Ocean, (in Canada) and so you're looking at a long day's drive to get to the Atlantic. But if you really want a great seaside vacation, (i.e. wqrm beaches and all that goes with that), head for Prince Edward Island. The water is warm because it's fairly shallow so the sun's rays penetrate right down and the sandy beaches are the best north of New Jersey. There is also the wonderful ambiance of the Island Province that's found nowhere else in Canada and probably North America. Some of that ambiance is being diluted now that the bridge between New Brunswick and PEI has been built but it's still a 'one of a kind' vacation that you will find will make the long drive well worthwhile.

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 08:42 PM
xxx

Ingrid,
Buy yourself a globe for perspective and then go to www.mapsonus.com for distance.
How can a map make Canada look small, it's the 2nd largest country in the world.
Just trying to help, please don't get snitty.

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 08:14 AM
Brian Kilgore

You've got a lot of mediocre, wrong, and rude advice, b=plus a few good items.

But it depends on what you mean by "coast."

The St. Lawrence River gets very wide, has ocean liners in it, big waves, whales, sea weed, and other stuff that could allow it to be defined as "coast," plus it gets salty the further east you go.

And it depends what you want to do with this "coast." If you want to go swimming and be comfortable, you need to travel further than if you want to look at the water, take a boat tour, look for whales, etc.

For swimming, you need to to travel about 650 miles or about 1000 kilometers to the Northumberland Strait shore of New Brunswick, near Moncton and Shediac.

More info will follow.

BAK

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 08:47 AM
Brian Kilgore

La Malbaie is a resort community on the north shore of the St. Lawrence, a few hundred miles east of Montreal.

One of Canada's great resort hotels is there, the Fairmont Le Manor Richelieu. Go to www.fairmont.com to find out more.

There is a lot to be said for earlier comments about Maine. Depending on budget (Maine is very expensive for Canadians because of the exchange) and what you are interested in, Maine can be a better vacation spot than the Canadian Maritimes. The Fairmont site can get you info on some other maritime resorts, too.

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 11:14 AM
ingrid

Thank you for all the constructive advice (no need to go into xxx's comments --- but my point: because Canada is so large, a map that will show the whole country will make the distances look close); initially, I was hoping that PEI or NB could be combined with Quebec, which doesn't look like an option now. However, forgetting about the beach scene now, I really appreciate the info about the St. Lawrence River.