FLIGHT TO SYDNEY,NS ?

Search

FLIGHT TO SYDNEY,NS ?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2004, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FLIGHT TO SYDNEY,NS ?

When visiting Cape Breton is it worth while to fly from Halifax to Sydney or is driving preferable? Anyone out there have an informed opinion? I will be staying in Baddeck.
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 06:43 AM
BAK

It's a very nice drive, especially if you follow the coast for a while.

BAK
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

How long is the travel time when driving from Halifax international airport to Baddeck? Is the return drive best done a day before the flight home?
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 08:06 AM

You could fly from Halifax to Sydney but it is one of the less competitive airline routes in Canada, which is reflected in the ticket prices.

The distance between Baddeck and the Halifax airport is about 340 kilometres if you follow the main highways (105, 104, 102), perhaps a tad less. Allow about four hours, which would give you time to stop for coffee.

As BAK suggests, there is an alternative: turn south onto highway 7 at Antigonish and follow the eastern shore. It is more scenic but it is also a slower trip.

If your flight out of Halifax is in the afternoon or evening, you could certainly make the trip from Baddeck the same day you leave Halifax.

Anselm

Old Aug 13th, 2004, 08:55 AM

My decision to fly or drive between Halifax and Sydney usually comes down to a question of cost. I think the drive is nice but others think it is boring. If you are headed just to Cape Breton it can be very convenient to fly in to Sydney.

Depending on when you are flying, which airline and your startpoint, continuing on from Halifax to Sydney can sometimes be cheap. But other times (or if you have to buy a separate ticket between the two places) the 45 minute flight can cost hundreds of dollars per person and is definitely not worth it.

As previously pointed out, there is no problem leaving Baddeck the same day to catch a noon or later flight in Halifax, we've done that (from Sydney) many times.

Old Aug 13th, 2004, 11:21 AM

Just returned from Halifax and Baddeck. Actually, the airport is a good 30-minute drive north of Halifax, so that will save you a bit of time driving. The Transcanada is either 4-lane, or has generous passing lanes on all hills and long stretches. Even in mid-summer traffic zooms along and is not heavy. We averaged a good 70 mph most of the way and were not among the fastest cars. You can easily drive to Baddeck within 4 hours from Halfiax airport. Actually, once you cross the causeway at Canby the scenery is quite pretty.
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 12:37 PM
BAK

I want to re-do my message... sort of

It's a pretty boring drive most of the way across mainland NS UNLESS you follow the coast for a while, or unless you spend some time around New Glascow and Pictou.

But if you drive up the Atlantic coast and then cut across to Antigonish, you'll be in beautiful parts of the province.

BAK

Old Aug 13th, 2004, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Friends, thanks for your generous replies. I find them all helpful: NOW I must make my decision; any other information pertaining to this topic is most welcome. Thanks