First trip to Nova Scotia!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We hope to go in mid or late July. We are in our mid 50's, healthy and active. The plan is to fly into Halifax and rent a car. We would like to visit Halifax and nearby sites on the South Shore (Peggy's Cove, Lunenburg, suggestions?), Bay of Fundy ( + area) and Cape Breton Island (Cabot Trail). We don't like to spend too much time in the car but understand it will be necessary for this trip. We typically like to avoid crowded, family-oriented tour spots. Does this itinerary make sense, from airport head directly to Bay of Fundy?
3 nights - Wolfville ( or 2 nights Digby, 1 night Wolfville?)
3 nights - Baddeck
3 nights - Halifax
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 10:23 AM
ltt

you are going to be spending a lot of time in your car. that is a very large area to cover in 9 nights.
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 02:40 PM

Nova Scotia was never really crowded anywhere I went - even Halifax when the cruise ships docked. Most people I ran into were older and retired or young couples. Everyone was very relaxed and easy-going. I wouldn't worry about trying to avoid crowded, family-oriented tour spots - it's not that type of destination.

For 9 nights, I would suggest dropping one location and spending a bit more in the other two and enjoy the areas more. I spent 4 nights in Halifax and another 2 nights in Lunenburg and area. It worked well and I spent some very relaxed days in Halifax. You could do Halifax in a day and a half, and then spend 2-1/2 days on Peggy's Cove, Lunenburg, etc. Then head to either Cape Breton OR Bay of Fundy for another 4 nights, and then back to Halifax for the last night.

You can read my report here: http://www.fodors.com/community/cana...ever-leave.cfm

It's long, but might be of some help.

I wouldn't say don't do it as you have planned, but if you do, realize that you won't have any time to just enjoy the area because you'll have to start heading out to the next spot.
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

What's the best location for a 3-night visit to the Bay of Fundy? Can we conveniently stay in one place and day trip. Some people suggest Wolfville.
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 01:46 PM

Wolfville or New Minus, both have great B&B's and ar close to where you want to go
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 03:56 PM

What specifically do you want to see around the Bay of Fundy? Do you just want to experience the tides? Or are you looking to see historical sites? Or whale watching? What you want to do there could change the recommendation on where to base yourself.
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

At the Bay of Fundy I'm interested in the tides but also thinking about driving down towards Digby one day and maybe up to the Glooscap Trail coast between Economy and Parrsboro another. I prefer not to change hotels every night but would it make sense to stay in Wolfville one night and then maybe Truro the next before heading up to CBI?
Old Jun 14th, 2009, 08:14 AM

You might consider the Yarmouth & Acadian Shores region. www.yarmouthandacadianshores.com. We settled in there for several days and had a great time. Trout Point Lodge was fantastic--a real treat! You can make lots of easy day trips to the coast, Bay of Fundy, etc.