First time & 5 days in Vancouver

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2012, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my husband & I will be in Vancouver for five days this summer 7/10 to 7/15. We are staying at a home in East 20th St. V7L3A7 Vancouver BC.
Is it possible to take a train near to the home if possible? We are not renting a car.

Would love feedback on what not to miss, must do & where to eat. We are very active people & love the outdoors. My husband is an avid fly-fisherman so he would love info on where to go as well.
As for food, we love it all from pubs to $$$. All sugesstions welcome. There will be no kids on this trip incase that helps.

Thank you for all the help!!
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 05:42 PM

Welcome to the best city in Canada!! Anyway, just so you are aware,based on the postal code you gave, you are actually staying in a suburb, North Vancouver- which is great, as you are very close to the downtown core. You do, however, need to take a bus from your home to Lonsdale Quay, and then a seabus across the harbor into downtown. You can find bus schedules at www.translink.bc.ca When you arrive at the airport, you can take the skytrain right into downtown Vancouver, then end of the line is Waterfront station. The seabus terminus is there too, and you can take it across and either take a taxi or a bus to your home. Being on the North Shore, you are close to Grouse Mountain, which you can either view by taking the skyride up, or by taking the "Grouse Grind" which is a pretty grueling hike straight up for about 1 hour. You should visit Stanley Park- rent bikes and ride around the seawall. You can ride all the way around and into English Bay and up False Creek. I'm sorry that I can't help you with fly-fishing, and as for restaurants- we have everything...any type of cuisine, especially Asian, Indian.
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 10:11 PM

If you want to fish you'll need a car there's no way around that.

http://flybc.ca/

Of course you could <b>Throw Down Large</b> for a guided trip locally and hope they do pickups

http://www.pacificangler.ca/
Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 08:48 PM

You're staying very close to Lonsdale, so you can just catch a bus from there and it'll take your right to the Seabus at the bottom of the hill. It's a nice ride (about 15 minutes) from that side of the water to the downtown.

I'm not into fly-fishing, but you can look at http://bit.ly/LZe6LF . That location is in Squamish which is along the Sea-to-Sky highway to Whistler.

If you're arriving by train to the Vancouver downtown location (on Main Street) – you would take the skytrain (just outside the station doors) to Waterfront (4 stops - about 7 minutes). At Waterfront, go up the stairs and then along the overpass to the Seabus. Seabus to North Van (about 15 minutes) to the bus station. Bus up the hill to your closest stop on Lonsdale – and walk. OR cab from the Seabus to your location.

I'm sure you can take a day trip to Whistler along the Sea-to-Sky. Very pretty drive and wander about the village for a bit. Take the Seabus downtown. Transit to various locations in the city is right there, but keep in mind, Vancouver is very walkable. It's not a big city.

You'll have to visit Stanley Park. Grab your Starbucks and wander along the seawall in the West End. If you're lucky, you can grab a table at Cactus Club along the Seawall for some people watching. Take the little ferry from the Aquatic Center or foot of Burrard Street over to Granville Island. Yaletown is active with lots of places to eat, but Gastown has emerged with some great restaurants. Bao Bei (close to Main Street) in Chinatown has good food, with the Keefer Bar next door.

Meat and Bread for great sandwiches for lunch at Cambie, close to Hastings or a newer location on Pender just off Burrard. Always a line-up, but it moves quickly. You must try the local Japadog (Japanese hot dog) fast food cart, just outside the Sutton Place Hotel on Burrard. i've never tried it, but always a line-up. There are also many other food trucks around town.

Want to test your fitness? Try North Van's very popular Grouse Grind. Or, take it easy and take the Gondola to the top of the mountain for a terrific city view.

Have fun.
Old Jun 4th, 2012, 07:12 PM

Missed the North Van reference-in that case your husband should speak to Dave or Matt @ Highwater Tackle on Lonsdale St 604.986.3239
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all very much. I am sharing this info with my family. Luckily we will have access to a car.
Old Jun 19th, 2012, 04:39 AM

Take a bus out to Horseshoe Bay terminal, and a ferry from there to Bowen island. A beautiful trip that takes about 45 minutes.

Don't miss the Museum of Anthropology on the UBC campus. It has world class exhibits on aboriginal culture and art., and is in a lovely setting.

We've always used public transit on our visits to Vancouver and managed just fine.
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

thank you so much. Should we make sure to stop for the day in Victoria? If we only have 1 day, what should we not miss?

Grouse hike sounds great! We may hike it. Just need to see if we can fit our hiking boots in the carry-on.

Where is the best place to rent bikes? Any deals? Do you suggest renting for the day's we ride or rent for the week we are there?

thanks everyone!!
Old Jul 20th, 2012, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Please my trip report. Thank you all for your help in planning a wonderful trip!