Reload this Page >

A wife,3 kids & 14 days - Canada?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 1998, 02:22 PM
Michael

Our family are currently planning a 4/5 week trip into North America from Australia. The first 2 weeks will be in the USA ending up at New York. From there we intend to spend the next 2 weeks in Canada before flying home. The timing of the trip will be Oct/Nov, the 3 children are experienced travellers aged 10,8,4. I have been to Toronto/Ottowa on business a few times and loved being in the country so we are all keen on spending 2 weeks in Canada. The question here is what can we accomplish in 14 days that gives a taste of Canada without travelling every day, our budget is reasonable so all options are open to us, kids enjoy what kids normally enjoy, scenery is appealing as is "city stuff", we are happy to drive or fly, any spectacular train trips would be a bonus. Any and all ideas will be welcome and if anyone needs any advice on holidaying down under you can e-mail me direct with questions.

Old Aug 26th, 1998, 09:36 AM
Angela

My recommendation is to head to Toronto and then Ottawa or vise versa. Both are exceelent places for families with tons to do. I live in Toronto so here's a reco of things to do in Toronto: The Ontario Science Centre (this is a must for families), the Beaches (take the streetcar, I think the #504, along Queen St East, get off at Queen & Woodbine. Plan to spend the day in this area, you can walk along Queen street enjoying cute shops, cafes, restaurants and pubs. Head down/south to the lake and take in some sunshine along the boardwalk), spend a couple of days in different cultures (Chinatown, head to Spadina and Dundas then start walking; The Danforth for Greek, get off the subway at Boardview and walk East, this is a great place for dinner; Little Italy, near College and Bathurst; Little India, definitly go here at night to see the lights and colours, great cheap buffets, at Coxwell and Gerrard, take the subway to Coxwell and the bus south on Gerrard), the Royal Ontario Museum is also a great place for families, check out Harbourfront, spend a day at Toronto Island (pack a picnic and grab the ferry over to Wards Island, where a number of interesting/artisitic people live, then walk across the island to Centreville for a few rides for the kids), spend the day in the High Park area with great shopping and a beautiful park. these are just a few of the things you can do in Toronto. I also recommend taking the train to Ottawa (1st class if you can afford it) - a beautiful and relaxing ride through the country to see the fall colours. In the Ottawa region check out the Parliment buildings, the Byward market (try a Beaver Tail, delicious), Hull for a taste of Quebec, and definitly go to the house of our 1st Prime Minister (who's name escapes me at the moment!) in the Gattinos (this is definitly NOT the right spelling but I believe the pronouncation is correct, sorry its been a few years!). <BR> <BR>I do recommend doing your trip in Oct - Nov will start to get cold, esp for people from Australia! <BR> <BR>Please feel free to e-mail me with specific questions about Toronto. <BR>

Old Aug 27th, 1998, 08:33 AM
Jeph

Hey Michael!! <BR> <BR>Angela has indeed given you some good advice. However, I would add one important destination to your trip. You MUST experience Montreal. As the second biggest french speaking city in the world (second only to Paris), Montreal has plenty to offer -- the best restaurants in Canada, European feel with New World twist. If you would like more info (on Montreal, Ottawa, or Toronto), don't hesitate to drop me a note! <BR> <BR>Sincerely, <BR> <BR>Jeph

Old Aug 27th, 1998, 11:10 AM
Owen O'Neill

In agreement with all of the previous. I would add the Canadian Mint tour and the Museum of Civilization as worthwhile Ottawa tours. If you have a car it's also fun to just drive for a day in the Rideau Lakes area an hour or so south of Ottawa - beautiful scenery, many lakes and small towns with friendly people. In addition to Montreal (or in place of) you might consider Quebec City. The "old city" portion of that town is the only truly European city in North America and uniquely different from any other place you could visit in the US or Canada. I live in central NY state - if you expect to pass through this area enroute to Canada (Syracuse, Rochester, Finger Lakes region) e-mail me and I'll provide info that might be of interest for this region. <BR>

Old Aug 30th, 1998, 05:25 AM
Lloyd

Michael <BR>Agree with most comments so far.I live in Ottawa and since we are the capital we have a lot of parks and federal buildings here and also across the river in Hull Quebec. There is a day trip by train up into the Gatineau hills to Wakefield which will be very scenic in october as a short trip in the gatineau park to a place called Champlain Lookout.Any questions Email me