Search

Finding accomodation in Canada

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finding accomodation in Canada

Hallo to everybody,
We are going to have a round trip over North-East of USA and South of Canada in August. I have made certain bookings in some key points such as: NYC, Chicago, Montreal, Quebec City, Niagara Falls. As to other places along our route I think about finding lodgings "on site" without any reservations in advance. I would appreciate your advice as to our chances to find decent hotels or inns on the journey taking into consideration that August is a "high season" and we are 5 people (3 adults plus 2 children). Our route in Canada will go from the US border near Detroit along the Lakes to Quebec City. It will be nice if you give the same advice about the USA (from Washington to Chicago). Thanks in advance.
Old May 20th, 2009, 10:42 AM
LJ

For that number of people in August (2 rooms, right?), you will need reservations especially if you want "inns"...you can generally find a room in a Comfort Inn, Econolodge, Holiday Inn type place without a reservation. But those are run-of-the-mill motels, clean but charmless, and even then along major auto routes it is a good idea to book ahead.

If you want something interesting, rooms with a view or any kind of authentic charm, fix your route and ask back here by town. There are some very knowledgable travelers on this Forum that will steer you to some great inns. BTW, it would be helpful to know your budget.
Old May 20th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, LJ.
I have booked accomodation at Niagara Falls, Gananoque, Montreal and Quebec. Now I should find overnight stays at:
1. any place not far from US border as we will cross it in the Detroit area - awaiting for your advice.
2. Oshawa area
our budget is limited by some USD100 per night per room.
Two rooms are not necessary, we can accomodate in 1 room in case it has enough number of beds and rather comfortable.
Old May 20th, 2009, 11:59 AM
LJ

So you are driving from Detroit/Windsor to Oshawa? is there any reason why you are stopping just short of Toronto? (I don't mean to be unkind but Oshawa is but a suburb of TO, very industrial and I am a proud Torontonian!).

I will check it out and get back to you...as I am sure others will chime in, too.
Old May 20th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

ok, I will give you some details of our itinerary: we will have an overnight stop at Niagara Falls and then we are moving to Gananoque. It may be covered within a day, I know, but we would wish to have several hours in Toronto not in a rush and without watching the clocks every minute. Second, we do not wish to have a long one-day drive by car as the children will get tired of it (I know it from our last year trip over the USA). These are the reasons why we want to stop for a night in the middle of the way between Niagara and Gananoque. The map shows that such a mid-point is around Oshawa or some further. Of course, we will be glad to stay in a more green and charm place - what could you recommend us?
Then I will some questions about Toronto in the next posts.
Old May 20th, 2009, 12:43 PM
LJ

H-m-m...I think I get that...you are looking at an overnight between Niagara Falls and Gananoque?

I still can't think of any reason not to break the trip in Toronto...in fact, as you will have to get on the 401 to get to Gananoque anyway, it would seem logical.

But if you are bound and determined to avoid it, you can try either Oakville (stopping short of TO) or Belleville (pushing on past TO). Either is preferable to Oshawa. Either way, it seems kind of like going to Versailles and not seeing Paris or Rye and not NYC...but you know your kids!

Oakville has an attractive downtown area and lots of restaurants and some motels that are okay and it is on the lake. We have a Fodorite who lives there and may be able to help with a place to stay (BAK: we need you!)

Belleville is a pretty little old-fashioned town, right on the water, with several nice B&B's.You might even want to push on to Kingston where there is loads more choice.
Old May 20th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. As to Toronto the only reason why not to stay there (you may change my mind here) is that it may be more difficult to find a suitable (not very expensive) stay in big city rather than at a small place outside. If you can name some good hotels or other type of lodging there we would be happy to spent the night in Toronto. We are Glenn Gould's fans and we will be happy to see the city where he lived (however, I have read that his memorial things are stored in Ottawa.)
Old May 20th, 2009, 02:11 PM

I would look at Port Hope (a bit east of Oshawa) for an overnight. It's a very attractive town with a variety of accommodation.
Old May 20th, 2009, 07:01 PM

Sorry, I don't have tons of time to add anything but while you're in Toronto, see if there's a concert at the Glenn Gould Studio in the CBC building on Front Street. Also, stop and take a picture of yourselves sitting beside him on the bench in front of the studio. It's a lovely piece of sculpture.