Ferry for Victoria/Vancouver

Apr 8th, 2002, 06:59 PM
Lisa

Ferry for Victoria/Vancouver

We will be visiting Victoria in June and taking a ferry to Vancouver for one day. We will have a rental car and will be taking it with us on the ferry. Can you tell me if the lines are usually long on a weekday (Wednesday or Thursday) in June? Thanks for your help!

Apr 8th, 2002, 10:12 PM
Carl Z

Long lines at that time?-not usually but it's always a crapshoot anything can happen.

It's best if you reserve a spot-www.bcferries.com.

BTW-One day is only 20% of the time you need to see Vancouver properly.

Apr 9th, 2002, 09:08 AM
Lisa

Thank you very much, Carl. I realize it's not nearly enough time. We are lucky to be able to go for even one day, so we figured that we would at least go to Stanley Park. My husband and I spent part of our honeymoon in Vancouver 13 years ago, but our 9-year-old son has never seen it. We're hoping to be able to spend more time there next year. Thanks again!

Apr 11th, 2002, 08:35 AM
Artemis

*Definitely* reserve a spot on the ferry if you have limited time. It costs $15 per car each way, but it's probably worth it in your situation. The lines won't be super-long on a weekday in June, but the ferries will likely only be leaving every 2 hours (instead of every 1 hour during the high season).

But another thing to consider: If you're only going for the day, and Stanley Park is your top priority ... why not take a bus from downtown Victoria to downtown Vancouver? It will be way cheaper, about the same lenghth of time to travel, and you have a guaranteed spot on the ferry. Once you're downtown, it's easy transit to Stanley park, and then easy transit again to other nearby attractions (e.g., shopping, Granville Island, planetarium and the Maritime Museum). No driving hassles, and no parking hassles.

Apr 11th, 2002, 11:36 AM
Lisa

Thank you for the recommendation, Artemis. We will definitely check into that option. Do you happen to know what companies we should check with? I'll look around and see what I can find on my own. Thanks again!

Apr 11th, 2002, 06:41 PM
Robyn

If you do take the bus from Victoria into Vancouver, there's a bus called the Vancouver Trolley that has a stop & go service that goes all around the city to the main attractions. This might come in handy if you only have one day. At the same time, the car will give you the most flexibility, though if you only plan to stay downtown, a car will be unnecessary (as most things - Gastown, Stanley Park, Yaletown, Robson Street, Chinatown, even Granville Island) are all within walking distance.

Here's the Vancouver Trolley website anyway:

http://www.vancouvertrolley.com

Apr 12th, 2002, 11:58 AM
Artemis

The bus line that goes downtown to downtown is Pacific Coach. Here's their web site: http://www.pacificcoach.com/

You can also take public transit, but it takes a *lot* longer, and only saves you a few bucks.