Ferries???

Jun 6th, 2002, 05:17 PM
connie

Ferries???

Ok, I'm really confused. Sounds like alot of us are visiting this area this summer so I think you'll be helping many with your answers.

I checked out all the web sites recently given here about transportation and ferries and am still very confused.

We will be visiting Seattle And also Olympic National Park. I'm not sure in what order, but sometime we want to go to vancouver. Both the city and the island.

1) is there a direct ferry from Olympic NP / Pt. Angelos to Vancouver Island or do you have to transfer? Is there a direct ferry to Vancouver city or do you have to transfer?

2) is there a direct ferry from Seattle to Vnacouver Island?

3) is there a direct ferry from Seattle to Olympic NP?

Thanks all for any and all replies.

Jun 6th, 2002, 05:41 PM
g mitchell

You are dealing with a number of different ferry companies -- The Washington State Ferry System, The BC Ferries and some private. Some carry cars, some are passenger only.

You can go direct From Port Angeles to Victoria. You can't go by ferry from Seattle to Vancouver but you can go Victoria to Vancouver.

For one stop ferry shoping see http://www.ferrytravel.com/

Jun 6th, 2002, 05:46 PM
Connie

Thanks for the response. Is there a ferry that goes from Vancouver City to Port Angelos, or Olympic National Park?

Thanks!

Jun 6th, 2002, 09:47 PM
sos

Connie

There is no ferry from Vancouver(city)to
Port Angeles.

The Vancouver ferry, which is really docked in Tsawwassen (to confuse you even more) only goes to Vancouver Island. Once you are on Vancouver Island you then can take another ferry to Washington State.

Or to solve the problem of ferries, you
can drive from Vancouver (city) to Washington State without using any ferries.

Jun 6th, 2002, 10:16 PM
Robyn

1) Port Angeles has a ferry called the Coho that goes to Victoria on Vancouver Island. You can take your car on this ferry. Here's their website.
http://www.cohoferry.com/

There's also the Victoria Express which is a passenger ferry (ie: no car!) which goes between Victoria (on Vancouver Island), and Port Angeles.
Their website is http://www.victoriaexpress.com/

No ferry from Port Angeles goes to Vancouver. In fact, there are no ferries in Washington state or anywhere in the USA that go to Vancouver.

2) Yes, there's a direct ferry from Seattle to Victoria on Vancouver Island called the Clipper. Their website is http://www.victoriaclipper.com

3) I have no idea about Seattle ferries, but when I was 12 years old, my family drove from Vancouver south to Whidbey Island where we took a ferry from Whidbey Island across Puget Sound to Port Townsend. From Port Townsend you can drive to Port Angeles. Whidbey Island is a good hours drive (or more), north of Seattle. That's one option.

As for taking a ferry travelling within BC (ie: From Vancouver Island over to Vancouver), there is only one ferry company called BC Ferries. Their website is at www.bcferries.bc.ca.

Otherwise, you can always drive... drive from Seattle to Vancouver, take the BC ferry across with your car from Vancouver to Victoria, then take your car across on the Coho ferry to Port Angeles. Drive through the Olympic National Park, then onto Port Townsend, then around to Seattle again. The only place you really *need* a ferry is when you're travelling to Victoria, as Vancouver Island is exactly that - an island. There's no other way to get your car on that island. Port Townsend, Olympic National Park, Seattle, Vancouver, etc - are all on the mainland and can all be driven to. The ferries obviously cut time between certain destinations.

But in all reality, what is your schedule? Where are you going, and in what order? And will you be taking a car? This will help you plan which ferries you need.

Jun 6th, 2002, 10:18 PM
Robyn

One more thing...

Jun 6th, 2002, 10:28 PM
Robyn

Oops!

I was going to say, you might want to look at a map. This will probably give you an idea as to where you'll need a ferry. Looking at a map will show you that you don't really need a ferry to go to Vancouver or Seattle, or even the Olympic Peninsula. There are highways that you can drive to those destinations. But you'll need a ferry to get to Vancouver Island, in which you can take a ferry from Port Angeles, Seattle or Vancouver - they all go to Vancouver Island (Victoria, mainly).

Anyhow, the words sound confusing... but sometimes having it illustrated helps!