Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Fastest/cheapest way from Nova Scotia to Newfoundland

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 07:15 PM
Jim J

Since I'll be in Nova Scotia, I thought it would be interesting to spend a few days in St Johns Newfoundland. I heard that it's a 10 hour ferry ride and I was hopeing that there would be a quick flight from the Sydney airport to St Johns. Any suggestions?

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 03:44 AM
justback

I am just back from both Halifax and St. John's. By all means, go to St. John's if possible. I loved it. The weather when I was there was perfect. By mid-July the icebergs are expected to be down to St. John's harbor. Check into O'Brians boat tours (whale watching, icebergs, and puffin colonies). Would highly recommend O'Reilly's Irish Newfoundland bar on George Street. Great traditional Newfoundland music. Lot's of fun. You want be able to sit still. As for your question, I flew Canada 3000. Advance purchase ticket was very reasonable. Halifax to St. John's roundtrip was less than $150 US. They also had a flights from Sydney to St. John's. Have a great trip. Don't miss the Maritime Museum in Halifax. Five Fishermen is great for a sea food dinner. Try the scallops. YumYum.