Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Family trip to Toronto-Which part of town for lodging?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 04:01 PM
teddie

We're planning our first trip to Toronto this July with our 14 yr old son. I haven't even purchased a guidebook yet! Any suggestions on which part of town would be best for us for accomodations? We don't mind hustle bustle, but seek clean, safe and central location. Thanks!

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 05:37 PM
al

What do you and your son like to do? Generally, most people like being downtown near sights, shopping, restaurants, etc. There are numerous good hotels downtown, at varying price levels and locales. Toronto is reasonably compact so you are generally no more than 30 minute walk (or short cab or transit ride) to most things. The most commonly mentioned hotels are Delta Chelsea, Hilton, Marriott, Metropolitan, Fairmont Royal York which are in a area encompassing City Hall, Eaton Centre, various sights, etc. Still downtown are Westin (lakefront), Four Seasons and Park Hyatt (Yorkville; more pricey). So, get a guidebook; check toronto.com; let us know interests and budget.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 03:37 AM
teddie

Thanks Al! Our interests range from architecture, history, and art all the way to the Hockey Hall of fame..Downtown is sounding good. Ideally, we'd prefer a suite set-up (like an embassy suites type), but would manage with a standard hotel room in a property that has a pool. Our limit would be $150/nite usd. Thanks for any assistance

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 02:32 AM
murray

Try Cambridge Suites. Right in the heart of downtown(Richmond & Queen I believe). Very nice place to stay and convenient to everything.<BR>Murray.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 07:37 AM
Dee

We have also stayed at Cambridge Suites and found it comfortable and clean. The living room has a sofa bed, there is a small "kitchen area" and a large dressing with walk in closet and a bedroom. TV is both rooms.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 02:46 PM
teddie

Thanks Murray, Dee & Al,<BR>I booked the Cambridge today after a lot of web searching and pricing. A suite in a good location at $229 Canadian (including continental bkfst) seemed like a reasonable rate. Of course, the website makes the rooms look very plushy--any comments on the quality of the rooms and service?

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 04:32 PM
John

Try Travelscape.com for the hotel reservations. They seem to have the best rates around.