Reload this Page >

Family Summer Trip

Search

Family Summer Trip

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2002, 08:01 PM
Katharine

Family Summer Trip

We are planning a trip this summer for 2 weeks in British Columbia and Alberta. Our trip so far looks like this Vancouver then on to Kamloops, Jasper, Lake Lousie, Banff Revelstoke, Nelson, Kelowna, and back to Vancouver. We plan on staying at the Sylvia Hotel in Vancouver (per recommendations) then hostels in Kamloops, Lake Lousie, Revelstoke and Kelowna. Our plan is to camp in Jasper, Banff, and Nelson area. We would love to here from anyone with ideas on what to see and do along our loop and good camp grounds in the areas mentioned above. Family interests include day hikes, fly fishing (catch and release only), museums, kayaking (calm water only), eating at hole in the wall and small local type places, and meeting people. Thank you for any suggestions you might have.

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 03:23 AM
grant

Katharine - We have done the same route with the exception of Seattle being the starting point. I am not sure where you are from but being from FLAT Florida - we have NEVER quite seen anything like the Canadian Rockies. In fact we have been so spoiled seeing the most beautiful mountains in the world the everything else is a let down.<BR>The drive between Vancouver and Jasper is stunning! I believe it takes about 8 hours but it is one drive that doesn't seem that long because of the beauty. We drove to Valemount for a stop between Seattle and Jasper. Now Valemount is not too far from Jasper but it is rather inexpensive and surrounded by mountains. Nothing much to the town except the surrounding beauty and somewhat inexpensive hotels. I'm not too sure what Kamloops has to offer on things to see and do since we drove through it and didn't see any reason to stop. Kamloops is about the halfway point but then you have a full drive the next day. From Valemount we had breakfast and then about a 30 minute drive to Mt. Robson, the highest peak in the Rockies where we stopped for a bit. There is a reastuarant at Mt Robson and the earlier you hit the road the better your chances to see wild life.<BR>The drive from Jasper to Banff is the most incredible drive in the world. Stop at teh Icefields parkway. A tour snowcoach ride and 20 minute walking on the glacier will cost about $25 CD. It's worth it once but not a second time. Also stop at Peyto Lake for a stunning view! When you go to Lake Louise make sure you DO NOT SKIP Lake Moraine!!! Lake Moraine is easily the most spectacular view in the world (personal opinion) - We found lodging in Canmore to be more affordable. We are staying this summer at one of the nicest hotels in Canmore for $40 a night. Other hotels were also offering the same ballpark rates but since it is closer to summer now those rate may not exist now.<BR>Take hikes around Lake Louise and Moraine Lake. They have trail maps. Also we went to the ski lodge near Lake Louise - they have a special for breakfast and riding the lift to the top of the mountain (great views) for something like $5-10 CD with coupon found in local attraction magazines.<BR>Have a great time!

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 09:03 AM
Frank

Grant - where are booked in Canmore? We could not find anything in that price range.

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 09:46 AM
Katharine

Grant,<BR><BR>Your discriptons make me that much more excited about this trip. I went when I was 5 years old. The only thing I remember was taking the original snow cats out onto the ice field. It was crammed and noisy but what an experience. I almost regret that they have done away with them (I went in 1966). We are planning on camping in Jasper for 3 nights and I am very concerned about finding a site. The only reason we were planning on stopping in Kamloops was the hostel in an old courthouse. The dining room is in the court room and bedrooms are in the old jail cells. It sound like a fun place to stay a night but driving further on might pay off in getting a camp spot early the next morning. I'll look into Valemount for a room. We have made reservations at the hostel at Lake Lousie ($68.00 CD/for 4) with a private family room. We will make sure to get in Lake Moraine!!! Thank you for all your input it really helps.

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 11:10 AM
grant

By all means stay at the place in Kamloops - it sounds great!!! The place we are staying in Canmore is the Four Points Sheraton - but once again we made reservations WELL in advance and I have not seen those rates in the last two or three months! We saw the rates for other hotels as well but only months back.

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 09:13 PM
Katharine

Grant, <BR>I looked up the Kamloops hostel on the internet. It looks like a beautiful building and because we enjoy meeting people (which is easier in a hostel) I think I'll go ahead and book a room. Have you been to Canada in July before? I'm trying to get an idea about the weather and crowds in Jasper and Banff that time of year. Thanks again!

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 03:32 AM
grant

Katharine - I have been there in July and the weather was great. We did have a storm roll through for a couple days and I can assure you that a couple layers of clothing were in order (once again - this is coming from a Floridian though). The crowds were not a problem - doesn't take much to get away.<BR>One other thing - if you plan on camping I would prepare for cold nights. Maybe you have a camper but if you are using tents it will be rather cool.

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 10:18 AM
Katharine

Grant, Thanks again for your input. We are tent camping and even though we're from Oregon, I think it's time to put some money into better sleeping bags. I'm glad to hear that the crowds aren't as bad as some books describe. We do like to hike and get away from it all. Thank You!

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 10:32 AM
Robyn

One webiste that will probably give you some extra details on the towns & parks you're planning to visit in BC is http://www.britishcolumbia.com<BR><BR>I discovered this website a few years ago - click on towns/regions... and it'll give you enough information to fill a guidebook.

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 05:04 PM
grant

Katharine - OREGON!!!!??!!!!!!! Why do you even need a VACATION!!??!! Does it get any better than OREGON!?! <BR>Really - my wife and I have done Oregon several times and can never get enough. Cannon Beach, Multnomah Falls, ah I must stop - Oregon is our favorite state - so much so that we have a massive panoramic of Cannon Beach we bought from a gallery on our wall.<BR>We plan to move there in the next couple years!<BR>Have a great time in the Canadian Rockies! You can't go wrong anywhere up in the NW!

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 08:30 PM
Katharine

Grant,<BR>You're right Oregon is a beautiful state and we feel very fortunate to live and play here. I took my kids to Disney World in December 2000 and although we had alot of fun, I look forward to going back someday to see the rest of Florida. On a rainy day in Oregon the warm weather and sandy beaches of Florida sound pretty good! I did some more surfing on our trip last night and now have us staying in Nelson, BC for 3 nights. They have a yearly festival in which street preformers (jugglers, mimes, etc...) come for a weekend from all over the world. It just sound like a fun thing for the kids to throw in on this trip. There also seems to be some great trout fishing in the area and short hikes to meadows of wild flowers. I'm thinking I should add on another week <BR>

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 07:52 AM
grant

About two months ago I called the School District of Corvallis concerning job opportunities. The person I spoke to said that if I could see out her window right now I'd stay put in Flordia. Told me of the windy, wet weather. Perhaps this is the common response of ALL Oregonians - to keep their state from being overrun <BR>Sounds like your plans are falling into place - what a great family vacation! Beats DISNEY!!!! ADD THE EXTRA WEEK IF YOU CAN!!

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 10:15 PM
Katharine

Grant,<BR>Are you a teacher? My husband is a high school science teacher, therefore, I am always praying for snow so everyone can stay home, play in the snow, and hang out around the fireplace. We do get alot of rain but that's what makes Oregon so green!!!!

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 12:34 AM
Randy

A few suggestions from a local.<BR>Coming back through revelstoke, then all the way down to Nelson, and then all the way back to Kelowna, is quite a drive, and a lot of touring about. A more direct approach would be to do Kelowna on your way to Kamloops, or delete Kelowna, and travel from Nelson to Osoyoos or Penticton, before returning to Van.<BR>Ainsworth Hot springs along Kootenay lake is worth the stop. There is a fishing village about 5km. north of Ainsworth that has camping right on the lake shore. <BR>Going from Revelstoke to Nelson, you will cross one of the inland free ferries, at Galena bay. The nicer free ferry crossing, if it can be managed, is to avoid Revelstoke and go instead to Radium Cranbrook, Creston and north to Kootenay bay ferry to Balfour. This ferry is a 40 min ride on a beautiful area of the lake.<BR>There is also a nice provincial campsite called Kokanee creek, halfway between Balfour and Nelson.<BR>If you have time, make the loop arond Kokanee provincial park.(Nelson, Balfour, Kaslo, Sandon, New Denver, and then back to nelson.) Stop in Kaslo, there is a great B&B at the t intersection of downtown. They do Lunch and dinner in the front yard. the food is great. There is also a Bakery in town, that does its bread in an outdoor wood oven.<BR>If you go through Radium, as suggested, camp at Red Streak, just above the town. From the campground it is a short hike to the hot spring pool.(cross country, away from traffic)<BR>Randy<BR><BR>

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 03:49 AM
grant

10/4 - My wife and I are both teachers. <BR>The GREEN is EXACTLY why we love the NW. We love rainy days and would fit right in.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 04:22 AM
grant

Katharine - Randy sounds like he has good advice - especially being from the area. I do have one question though -<BR>Yo mentioned driving from Vancouver to Jasper. You also said you are from Oregon.<BR>Are you driving up to vancouver and over - or are you flying to vancouver and driving over. <BR>If you are driving up from Oregon - why not go up to Jasper and follow the rocky chain all the way down through glacier NP and cut back across to Oregon? We are going to both the canadian rockies and glacier and both are just incredible.<BR>my wife and i love teaching, we refuse to work during the summer. these summer months are so memorable.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 08:49 PM
Joy

Grant,<BR>Is it really only an 8 hour drive from Vancouver to Jasper? We were planning to overnight in Kamloops on the basis that the drive would take about 10 hours.<BR>Appreciate your comments.<BR>Thanks!