Search

falls? & centreville ?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2003, 06:43 AM
css
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
falls? & centreville ?

Is it worth seeing both the American & Canadian side of the falls or are they repetative? (2 teens, 2 parents, summer trip)?
Is Centreville on the islands across from Toronto harbor too young an amsement park for teens? What about Paramount? Thanks!
Old Dec 27th, 2003, 07:11 AM
BAK

Mosat people I have talked with who have seen the falls from both sides much prefer the view of the American Falls as seen from the Canadian side. (There are two waterfalls at Niagara Falls)If you onloy have tiome for one side, pick the Candian side. If you have lots of time, cross the river. But for most people, most times, on most trips, you can skip the US side fo the river. And there's a lot to do on the Canadian side besides looking at the falls.

You can get on the Maid of the Mist boats on either side, and the Maid of the Mist boat ride is the best thing to do in Niagara Falls.

Centreville is mostly for smaller kids. Ontario Place has more stuff for teens, including a great waterslide. Regardless, taking the ferry from beside the Westin Harbour Castle hoitel to Toronto Island and walking around for a while is worthwhile for the whole family. Or take a harbour tour on a special tour boat.

Paramount Canda's Wonderland is just another giant high priced amusement park with long lines. Depending on your kids, it's either a waste of time and money and you could go to as park nearer home, or it would be the highlight of a visit. To me, it's not a place to waste a day on a visit to Toronto from far away
when there's so much nmore to do in toronto than stand in line for hours on end. But if you do go, take bathing suits; lots of good water rides. I had a season pass to wonderland for about seven years, when my kids were 6-11 to 13 -18, but they had lots of time to enjoy the rest of Toronto, too.

Do the kids have hobbies or special interests? We might be able to point you in special directions., Hockey Hall of Fame is loved by sports-minded kids.

BAK
Old Dec 27th, 2003, 01:28 PM

Hi css:

If you are going to be in Toronto during August 20 and after, I think your children would enjoy the "Canadian National Exhibition" aka,"The Ex". The exhibition is held once a year and opens its doors during the second week of August thru to Labour Day. It's located in Toronto. They have over 60 rides that appeal to teenagers, there are lots of events/shows/concerts for parents to enjoy also. The web site is:

http://www.theex.com/

I have to agree with Bak, that the centrevile rides are for the pre-schoolers and toddlers. However, if you do decide to get on the ferry, you can bring a picnic lunch and rent bicycles to explore the island for the day. Or you can just get on the ferry for a great view of the Toronto Skyline and hop back on to come back to the city.

Regarding Paramount Canada's Wonderland, In my opinion, not really worth spending your vacation in long line ups to get to the rides.
Old Dec 28th, 2003, 12:13 PM

I echo the previous posters. Paramount Canad's Wonderland is "just another theme park" with typical long lines. It does have a decent collectetion of coasters.

The "Ex" is worth visiting if you are in Toronto when it has its annual 18 day run. Despite its detractors, there is lots do do for the whole family. Ride line-ups are much shorter, more variety of "spinning type rides" but only 2 coaster type rides. Sat-Mon of the Labour Day weekend features the annual Toronto International Airshow.

There are other worthwhile attractions at Niagara Falls including the Butterfly Conservatory. Consider the pass which includes People Mover and admission to 4/5 of the Niagara Parks attractions. The touristy side of Niagara Falls Canada continues to improve as more hotels have been added and better tourist traps, for better or worse.
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 10:19 PM

okeee i completely disagree with the comments made about paramount canada's wonderland!! okee it may be a little bit pricy but if you're travelling with teenagers, then im sure they'll like it forsure. there's quite a few rollercoasters...a water park...dance shows etc. its a pretty fun place to go to in the summer months. its a hot time and a fun place to go to with family/friends. centerville is a COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME!!!! its soo unbelievably BORING! what a disappointment that place was. its infested with seaguls and theres absolutely nothing for teenagers. the canadian side of the falls is way better. more action !! our falls are way nicer...the american side is pretty dumpy and boring. you can also visit the craziness of clifton hill in niagara falls on the canadian side..what a rush that can be...people everywhere! you can also take the maid of the mist boat up close to the falls or you can ride the elevator down behind the falls....just stay on the canadian side of the falls and out of centerville...you'll have an amazing time! good luck and have fun!
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 05:44 PM

I agree wth megz about Canada's Wonderland. It's pricey, but fun for teens on the roller coasters, scary rides and waterpark. There is free entertainment that is fun for the whole family and the finale can be awesome. We live near this park.

It has more space though crowded in high season. Go early for the rides. See if you can buy discount tickets from CAA. Take change of clothing if going into the waterpark since a cool day could mean being cold after being soaked.

I don't find Ontario Place much fun anymore, Centreville is far too young even though the 10-minute ferry is enjoyable, and as for the falls we lived nearby for eight years. View from the Canadian side as advised because you will have a good view of the American falls as well. Be sure to go right to the edge of the falls; it's mesmerizing. Take the hop on hop off type bus.

Drive the Niagara Parkway to Niagara-on-the-Lake; a village recognized for its heritage. Don't just walk the main street (commercial) but go down to the lake and in and around the streets on that side to see old Ontario. Even your teens will enjoy this.

I don't recommend Marineland which is in that vicinity. Your kids are not too old to to enjoy the Toronto zoo.

Have fun.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 05:52 PM

Forgot to mention, should you go to Niagara-on-the-Lake, go down to the river below the park on the main street and look across. That's New York you see and the fort you see is American. Sorry, forget the name of that fort. That is worth a visit.

Old Mar 27th, 2004, 04:43 AM

If I am on the Canadian side and have some time to go to the American side of the falls, is it a simple matter to cross the border? [I am not from the US]
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 05:47 AM
BAK

No one can predict how the US government border guards will act.

And it depends where you are from.

You'll need the same papers, visas, etc. thatyou would need to arrive in the USA directly from your own country.

And that varies. Plus some days the guards look at people and say "welcome, enjoy your visit," and other days they decide to look inside the tires on your car.

And the mood of the guards, and the official terror level warnings (the USA defines terror by color code) means they may be quick with you, but take a long tiome for the people in line ahead of you.

On a good day, ten minutes in line, two minutes talking to a guard, and you are in.

I'm assuming you have the proper papers, and are driving a rental car with the proper papers.

Once you get into the USA, you then ned to get to the viewing points for the American Falls, so it's not just a question of walking across the bridge and turning left. I don't know how far the walk is, but it'slonger than I'd want to do.

And you get the best view of the American Falls, by far, looking at it from the Canadian side.

BAK
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 06:02 AM

Thanks, it doesn't sound like it should be too much of a hassle. We would be there on a Tuesday so I assume that should be fairly quiet. From what you say, it seems like you don't really think it's worth it just to go and have a look on the American side and come back. I recall hearing you had to pay to get across but I doubt it's very much?

I'm from the UK and so just have to fill in the usual green and white immigration forms.
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 06:07 AM

US$2.50 or C$3.50 for the bridges. Not for the immigration/customs. According to the official sites, you only pay once, going into Canada:

http://www.niagarafallsbridges.com/p...ules/index.htm
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 07:14 PM

css - I read through this entire post and thought I would add a "don't miss" experience for you and the teens... The Whirlpool Jet Boats leave out of the US and CDN sides...best from Niagara on the Lake... the boats travel up the river into the famous lower Niagara rapids and into class 4 white-water at devils hole....perfectly safe ride, but one of the neatest vacation rides my kids have ever taken.... they have a web site so you can get more info