Search

Entering Canada

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 09:00 PM
Mike Provenzano

Entering Canada

<BR>What I.D.'s do you nned to enter Canada if you our a U.S. citizen?

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 11:51 PM
lynlee

For short term visits to Canada you will need a valid passport, unless you are an American citizen or permanent resident arriving from the U.S.A. in which case you must provide proof of citizenship or residency upon request. Proof of citizenship consists of a passport, original or certified copy of your U.S. birth certificate, current voter's registration card, U.S. military discharge papers, or certificate of citizenship or naturalization

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 07:10 AM
Bob Brown

Hi Mike. The above information agrees with what I have experienced. Don't forget, however, that you not only need to get into Canada, but you need to return, too. <BR> <BR>In my trips to and from Canada, I have found crossing at highway border stations and airport border stations are two entirely different situations. <BR>There is the de jure side which says American citizens do not need passports to enter Canada and return home; then there is the de facto side that says something else. When crossing the border in a car, I have never had to show anything. The only time I experienced more than the routine questions was in 1999 when I flew into Calgary and then crossed into Montana in an Avis car I had rented at the Calgary airport. The border agent wanted to know why an American driving a Canadian car. I was reaching for my passport and my wife was reaching for the rental contract when he waved us on. <BR> <BR>For travel by air, I have found that presenting my passport makes life a lot easier. Entry and return have been routine and without incident. My passport has as as many Canadian stamps in it as it does European. If no passport, you need your birth certificate (or other papers) and a photo ID. In 1995 we did not have our passports and we had to answer quite a few questions at the Calgary airport about who we were. (At the time I had my birth certificate and a picture ID.) <BR>So if you have a passport, use it if entering at an airport. <BR>

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 10:58 AM
dnorrie

#2 has posted a lot of good suggestions for you. Indeed, travelling via car and crossing (in your own car, not a rental) poses very few problems. At the airports however, they customs agents can be a bit aggressive. Always be sure you have proof of US citizenship, via way of birth certificate. This being at either a car crossing or airport. Really, this is all you actually need but if you meet up with a customs agent who is a "jerk" they may ask for a passport even though it is not required. If you have a rent a car, they tend to be absolutely impossible. Try crossing the border with a rent a car and the customs agents can be most difficult. Just be sure that you have proof of US citizenship and you should be ok. Good Luck.

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 11:13 AM
gail

Last summer it was easier to cross Us/Canada/US several times than it was to cross Oregon to California - there is a "Agriculture Inspection" stop at which there was a long line and they confiscated our Washington State cherries. Stick to Canada.