Empress Hotel Afternoon Tea

Old May 23rd, 2006, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Empress Hotel Afternoon Tea

Does anyone have current information on the cost for Afternoon Tea?
Old May 23rd, 2006, 02:18 PM

Just checked their website and while they list everything served, no mention of price. I can tell you that in my opinion it is hugely overpriced and there are a lot nicer places to have tea in Victoria. The White Heather Team Room in Oak Bay is first on my list (reservations are a must). If you happen to be going out to Butchart Gardens, they also have a great tea out there.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 02:34 PM

Agree its overpriced for tea
White Heather has excellent food but is kind of close quarters and noisy
Old May 23rd, 2006, 04:47 PM

My daughter and I did this a couple months ago. We enjoyed it, and did not feel that it was overpriced for what it is. For both of us, it was about $95 CDN if I remember correctly. We had a noon reservation, so the first seating, and had a nice table at the window. It was not stuffy at all, just very nicely done. Our waitress was friendly and had a sense of humor My mother enjoys this every time she goes to Victoria. I think it is one of those things that either you like or you don't, IMO.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 06:04 PM

I always recommend Murchies for afternoon tea. It is wonderful.

The White Heather is fine and the food is good but it is not the atmosphere you want with being so crowded. It is also really out of the way.

Murchies is just a few blocks from the Empress and it is Murchies tea that the Empress uses. Here is their website
http://www.murchies.com/

Those of us who live in Victoria (at least all of my friends) take our guests there. You will not be disappointed. Again - do make a reservation.
Old May 24th, 2006, 04:23 AM

The surroundings and location are hard to beat at the Empress; I splurged on it and did not regret it.
Old May 24th, 2006, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information. A friend of my husband's wants to treat us to Butchart Gardens and afternoon tea at the Empress when we visit BC in September. Knowing how expensive it is I'll make some excuse and we'll go on our own. It's something I really want to do (even though I don't drink tea!) but I would feel terrible if someone else was picking up the bill. Thanks again for the information.
Old May 24th, 2006, 08:06 AM

If someone else is picking up the bill
I would go for it - I think its around
30 something/pp- even if you dont drink tea you will love it- its the food that is great.
Old May 24th, 2006, 04:29 PM

You can have coffee. The prices change constantly. What month are you planning on going?
Old May 26th, 2006, 10:23 PM

I'm booked for tea at the Empress tomorrow. I was quoted $48 (Canadian) per person. Hope it is good!
Old May 27th, 2006, 07:23 AM

My husband thinks it's a ripoff but if it's for the experience, then you can't beat the Empress. You may be lucky and see one of the ferries pull in, it's a great view of the harbour. The food is really good, but don't expect to be full-it's not a full meal.
I really enjoyed it, and the staff were great.
Old May 27th, 2006, 08:05 AM

I hope you have fun, Kelly When my daughter and I went, we were both stuffed, and could not eat all that was offered. We were there for the noon seating, and by dinner we still were not hungry, so just had appetizers. Enjoy!
Old May 27th, 2006, 01:55 PM

I love afternoon tea, and enjoy the "experience" at the signature places (tho of course I know it's not for everyone).

I agree with mms, don't plan on having a special dinner that nite as you may be too full still, especially if you go in the afternoon - afternoon tea usually means just dessert for dinner for me!

Senga, obviously you know your situation best, but...if your friends want to treat you might consider letting them. What better way to enjoy life than to treat your friends to a wonderful experience to share together?

Not to be flippant, but realistically, what else can they give you that could be special, and it IS expensive but it's not so much money (like giving you a Rolex watch!) that the money wouldn't just be spent elsewhere on a less memorable meal, etc.

For me, although I am definitely not well off, I LOVE finding "perfect" gifts for people and treating them to experiences.

For me "a gift received is a gift to the giver" - always.

Enjoy-la!
Old May 30th, 2006, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

We are going in September. Our friends are pensioners and are already treating us to Butchart Gardens so I think that is more than sufficient. We'll go to afternoon tea at the Empress on our own and, hopefully, they'll give me a glass of water instead of tea or coffee. I read somewhere that what was served was posted on their website but I've been unable to locate it. If anyone has that information it would be much appreciated.
Old May 30th, 2006, 12:36 PM

Senga--Yes, they will serve you something besides tea if you want. My daughter was not sure she wanted tea, and they offered her other things. My memory is not perfect, but what I remember is it started with a fruit cup (with really good strawberries!) and then there were about 5 or 6 different kinds of finger sandwiches, scone, pastries, and chocolates. I know I am butchering the menu, but it was a lot of food and all very good. Also, quite varied, so if there is something you don't like there will be plenty that you do. If you want specifics, I would suggest calling.
Old May 31st, 2006, 05:05 AM
cd

The cost this past weekend at the Empress for Afternoon Tea was $50.00 pp. We went into the hotel and asked what the menu was. Lots of finger sandwiches, the one I remember was a cucumber sandwich, and desserts. We made reservations but later cancelled them. We just felt the price was too high for what was offered.
Old May 31st, 2006, 07:19 AM

I think when you go to tea time at the Empress, you go more for the experience and the history of the Empress Hotel, rather than looking at the food. It's one of the places Queen Elizabeth frequented on her trips over to North America. So you can feel like you are experiencing what royalty would do on a given afternoon. If you go just to get a meal in, you will probably think it's not worth the money.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 04:06 AM

The responses are sure varied about tea at the Empress. I did make some reservations but I'm not sure that's what I should do.
I'm also wondering, has anyone had tea at the Stanley Park Rose Garden in Vancouver, or know had the Chocoholic Buffet experience at the Sutton Place Hotel? I should probably ask that under a new thread.....
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 08:25 AM

When I am in Victoria I prefer to have tea at someplace other than the Empress and then go to the Empress in the evening for drinks or appetizers in the Bengal Room - still get to experience the ambiance of the Empress.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 08:43 AM

If I'd never been to Victoria before I'd want to have tea at the Empress at least once.

Sample menu:
http://tinyurl.com/338g9

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -