Reload this Page >

Eastern Canada advice please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 06:20 AM
Linda

We would like to see Sydney, Bar Harbor, and Quebec and Montreal. We have 2 kids - ages 10 & 12. We have 7 days.<BR>Of course, I realize we can't really see all that in 7 days, so what should we leave out?<BR>How difficult is it to get from 1 place to another? Car? Train? We can fly into one place & fly home from another. Thanks!

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 07:14 AM
gary

Either do Quebec Province or the Atlantic for one week. They are two very different type vacations. Frankly I think that Quebec and Montreal would be much more stimulating and enjoyable for kids that age especially for the cultural differences but that's just my opinion.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 10:16 AM
Brian Kilgore

I vote with Gary.<BR><BR>But ....<BR><BR>You could combine Quebec City, Montreal and Ottawa in seven days. Ottawa's packed with great things for kids -- museums of civilazation and of industry, among other things.<BR><BR>In your original list, skip Sydney, which isn't worth visiting by itself anyway. In the general area of Sydney, the Cabot Trail is beautiful, but soaks up a full day. Louisbourg Fort is great, but it takes another day.<BR><BR>And Bar Harbor is a long way from anywhere else on your list, without getting into expensive airline fares out of small airports.<BR><BR>It's a day's drive from New Brunswick to Quebec City, too.<BR><BR>But flying to Quebec City, touring there (no car needed) then train to Montreal, again no car needed, and then train to Ottawa, where you might want a car, and flying out of Ottawa would be feasible, interesting, educational, and fun.<BR><BR>BAK

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 10:36 AM
Mary

I'd do either Quebec-Montreal or the Bar Harbor Area. I personally would not want to rush and do the Cape Breton {Sydney} area of Nova Scotia on the same trip because it's a long day's drive to and from one end of the island to the other, which would eat up your week. There is a fast ferry {the Cat} that takes you from Bar Harbor to Yarmouth {the other end of the island than Sydney},Nova Scotia in a few hours, so if you do decide to see N.S., you might be able to combine this with Bar Harbor. Yarmouth itself is not all that interesting, but there are some charming and scenic area within a few hours drive. If you should decide to go this route, you might want to check with the ferry service to see if they run any ferry-lodging packages;I know that they offer these on their Portland-Yarmouth sail.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 11:08 AM
Linda

Thanks for the advice! If we did Sydney<BR>on another trip, is there enough on that end of N.S. to keep you busy the whole week? We have seen Halifax, but not the Cabot Trail end of N.S. Have heard it's so beautiful. How about PEI? Is is worth going? We could combine that with the Cabot Trail. Just asking for further trips down the road! (so much Canada, so little time!)<BR>Sounds like everyone recommends Quebec & Montreal, so that's probably what we will do on this trip. Hadn't even thought of Ottawa! Thanks----I'll have to order some info on Ottawa. Is the train VIA Rail?

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 11:52 AM
Mart

Linda,<BR><BR>P-E-I is very nice. The scenery is beautiful, people are great. <BR><BR>But i agree with the others, with 1 week Ottawa-Montreal-Quebec City is the best. All 3 cities have different charms.<BR><BR>By car Ottawa is 2 hours from Montreal, Quebec City is 3 hours from Montreal. Via Rail is the train service. No car needed in Montreal, subway brings you everywhere. In Ottawa it would be a good idea to have a car.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 04:01 PM
Mary

Hi again, Linda<BR>Yes, I could have stayed all month at Cape Breton! PEI is lovely, but a little too restful for me. I guess it's a matter of opinion. Have a great trip!

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 05:42 PM
Linda

Thanks to everyone for the great tips.<BR>I guess I should have mentioned that we are very much into beautiful scenery and nature. That was why I thought of Cape Breton. However, the "miniature Paris" part of Canada intrigues me, too.<BR>(Is that both Montreal and Quebec City?)<BR>

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 07:05 PM
paul

Those are the cities, minus Montreal , we are seeing on our cruise.<BR>we saw all those cities 14 yrs ago, it took 13 days!!!!

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 07:49 PM
Michelle

Hi, Linda! I have 2 questions: From where are you travelling and when? I love NS! July/Aug is best time to visit. I am curious as to why you have selected Sydney. I tend to agree w/ BK above who stated that Sydney is not really a hot tourist spot! However, you may have personal reasons (i.e., family) for wanting to go there. On the other hand, Cape Breton Highlands is spectacular! You cld. tie that in w/ a Halifax visit. (Fly into Sydney, fly out of Halifax)

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 07:55 PM
Linda

Hi Michele-<BR>I said Sydney because I figured that was a starting point for the Cabot Trail? Maybe not? I should have said Cabot Trail instead of Sydney. We are coming from Richmond, VA., sometime this summer. We saw Halifax on a cruise last summer, and loved it. I have heard so much about the Cabot Trail. How much time do you need on Cape Breton? And if I do Quebec and Montreal, how much time in those cities?<BR>(obviously, have to choose 1 itinerary!)<BR>Thanks again.

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 05:03 AM
Melissa

Can you speak french? If not, go to Nova Scotia. All signes in Quebec are in French including in Montreal, and frankly they are kind of snotty if you can't speak thier laguage

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 06:43 AM
Mary

At the risk of attack, I too found the Quebec people a bit snotty toward outsiders. That said, it's an interesting and scenic area, just not for me. As for the length of time to spend in Cape Breton, that would depend entirely upon your interests. If you consult a Cape Breton map, you will see that the Cabot Trail runs in a curcular route,with side routes into other interesting areas of C.B. I have done the route twice, once clockwise, and once c/c. Most first timers, esp. those afraid of heights, seem to perfer clockwise; i thought either was good. Allow a couple of days even if you want to do only the minimum, taking in the stupendous view from various vantage points, and overnighting at one of the many interesting communities along the route. If you stop to hike, sail, tour museums or Louisburg Fortress, etc. etc., allow extra days. NS tourism {1-800-565-0000} puts out a great guide called the Doers and Dreamers guide which should be a great help in planning your travels, whenever you decide to visit. They will also book accommodations.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 05:03 AM
Pat

Can't believe travelers found "snotty" locals in Quebec. We had a marvelous trip to Quebec City and the Gaspe Peninsula and found the people to be warm, friendly, eager to please, and helpful. We speak no French whatsoever and still had no problems. I take that back in part - I had trouble ordering a Black Russian at a cocktail lounge and had to "settle" for white wine. On our Gaspe portion of the trip, we had the misfortunne to blow out a tire and managed to make it to Rimouski on our donut spare. The guys at the Info Center called around for us and made an appt for us at the local Nissan dealer (and told us where to buy a used rim from a junk dealer since ours was bent in the blowout). The Nissan dealer had taken in a rim that morning (what luck!) and took a car off the lift to put ours up and get us on our way. We were treated royally. Don't be afraid to go. It was one of our best trips (1996) and we are going back again this September because we enjoyed it so much and never got it out of our minds. The Gaspe Peninsula is unbelievably beautiful. Don't miss seeing the bird santuary on Bonaparte Island in Perce. It is a highlight.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 08:27 PM
Janine

Quebec has always been known to be snotty to everyone not from Quebec. They feel superior to the rest of canadians. Most do not know english, just french. Being from Edmonton, and speaking only english, I do not like going there.