Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

East Coast Canada Fall 2006 - Any recommended resources?

Nov 15th, 2005, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

We are planning to go to the East coast of Canada sometime in the Fall of 2006 (Sept, Oct. or November). Obviously we are just starting to plan and we are planning early because for me, that's half the fun.

We chose the East Coast because we live on the East Coast in the U.S. (Virginia) and want the quickest possible trip times.

I was hoping you all could help me narrow down where on the East Coast might be best to see this time of year.

We love history and sightseeing (which, of course, we can do any time of year).

We need the most guidance on wildlife--we would love to see some of the animals we cannot see elsewhere (puffins, seals, polar bears). (I am showing how ignorant I am about Canada--I have no idea where any of these animals are located geographically so don't laugh, please).

Any guidebooks specific to this area of Canada that you all could recommend?
Nov 15th, 2005, 11:44 AM

You've picked a great time of year to come for a visit; autumn in the Maritimes is a perfect time for a road trip. The fall colours are fabulous! Are you going to rent a car when you are here?
Nov 15th, 2005, 12:00 PM

Seals are likely to be around in the autumn but puffins with be off their breeding colonies, and you definitely will not see polar bears.

Nova Scotia is very historic and scenic, as is New Brunswick, but for wildlife, Newfoundland in July is the place to go.

cheers

Jerry
Nov 15th, 2005, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Wonderful. We will plan on renting a car when there. I am very interested in the Maritimes. Would whalwatching be viable at that time of year?
Nov 16th, 2005, 02:36 AM

Whalewatching could still be good in the lower Bay of Funday in early September.

cheers

Jerry
Nov 16th, 2005, 06:47 AM
ltt

why don't you read fodors book on visiting the maritimes (new brunswick, nova scotia, pei) and new foundland. i think if you got a better base knowledge of what's there, we could better assist you.
Nov 17th, 2005, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I realize that I need to know more. My OP actually was asking what good resources are for me to do research--since the responses didn't answer that, I just went with what I was getting. Fodors is a bit general for the type of planning I like to do--can anyone recommend a more specific guidebook?
Nov 17th, 2005, 10:40 AM

All the Atlantic provinces (Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, and Newfoundland) have fairly good (some better than others in their detail but all are similar in format) travel guides that you can order off their respective tourism websites for free.

Might be a bit early now tho since the season is just ending. You could do preliminary research now or ask for this year's copy to get an idea of where you'd like to go and then get next year's edition which will have more current (pricing, etc.) info, but basic info will be the same.

If you're coming in the fall, I'd suggest NS for its amazing colours and Celtic Colours in October, or NF cuz it's just a wicked place...not sure how long the season is tho. I'd recommend PEI in the summer but if you go in September they have an Int'l Shellfish Festival that's quite good, but I wouldn't plan my trip on that event. (I would plan my trip on Celtic Colours and the leaves tho).

Enjoy-la!
Nov 17th, 2005, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks--I think I will follow your suggestion and check out this year's resources to narrow down my planning a bit. How wonderful that they all have guides to order!
Nov 17th, 2005, 02:02 PM

I do NOT recommend Newfoundland in the Fall. It is a wonderful place for a July visit, but the Maritimes are a better bet in autumn.

Cheers

Jerry
Nov 18th, 2005, 05:19 AM

I've seen this resource recommended on other forums if you're interested.

"Doers and Dreamers" Guide from www.novascotia.com

We really love Prince Edward Island as well, but I would also say September or early October would be an optimum time for visiting.

Will you be driving up through Maine? Bar Harbor is another favourite of mine if you're planning stops.
I think I saw that the latest National Geographic had an article on Acadia National Park and Bar Harbor. If you are planning to drive that could be helpful as well.

Nov 18th, 2005, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Sounds like good information. We will probably fly to Canada and rent a car there rather than driving up from VA--though DH might have something to say about that, he likes driving. So for now I am focusing on researching Canada. I will check out Doers adn Dreamers.
Nov 18th, 2005, 02:23 PM

You may want to consider flying to Boston and renting a car from there. It would save you lots of driving time, but you could still have the benefit of the gorgeous scenery through Maine.

We like driving too and I think it's because it gives us time to "decompress" before jumping into seeing sights, and becoming busy with a vacation itinerary.

The more information you have, the more you can decide and plan. After all, you've certainly got lots of time!