Driving Vancouver to Calgary??

Apr 20th, 1999, 08:24 PM
Sherri

Driving Vancouver to Calgary??

Planning our first trip to Canada... considering driving from Vancouver to Calgary. Wondering how much time to allow... also are the roads very good?? Thanks for any input.

Regards,
Sherri

Apr 21st, 1999, 04:54 AM
Bob Brown

I think it will take you all day to drive from Vancouver to Calgary.
The road once you leave Kamloops is not very good in terms of high speed driving. Be sure to take the Coquihalla toll road between Hopp and Kamloops. You leave the Trans Canada for a stretch because it is a slower road. The section between Kamloops and Golden is long and can be tortuous to drive because a lot of it is 2-lane and you must have good passing skills or you will be stuck interminably behind slower vehicles.
The compensation is that you will go over Rogers Pass in Glacier National Park and along a flank of Mt. Revelstoke. The views are really great in that section of road. Time your breaks so that you can take one at Rogers Pass, even go through the visitor center. From Golden to Canmore you go through some of the best the Rockies have to offer. That drive up to Kicking Horse Pass from Golden is worth a stop or two along the way. It is a shame to make the trip without stopping to admire the views. I suggest you plan to make a sight seeing trip out of it and plan on stopping for the night in Golden so that you can tarry a while in Yoho and visit Emerald Lake and Takkakaw Falls.
And a stop to see Lake Louise is also nice, but these take time. The whole trip, Vancouver to Calgary, is about 600 miles, depending upon exact point of departure and arrival. At least from Banff on in to Calgary you have Interstate like conditions. But there is a two-lane stretch in the National Park that is dangerous. I came within a whisker of meeting my maker not far from Castle Junction. A van coming toward me on the two lane section pulled out to pass. It was coming right at me in my lane. I was set to swerve onto the wide shoulder on my right when the driver of the van cut over to the shoulder and we passed with the van on my RIGHT going the opposite way.
He cut back across my lane into his like he did that all the time. I am not trying to scare you, but you will need all of your defensive skills on some of those roads because some drivers push it to the limit.

Apr 22nd, 1999, 08:53 AM
Sue

I highly suggest minimum 2 days but think 3 is better. The best and most beautiful route is from Vancouver to Hope on the Trans Canada (#1). Then at Hope you want to take the Coquihalla (toll but reasonable) to Merritt. At Merritt take the 97C to Kelowna. Now this part of the drive is fast but not much for scenery, however the drive from Kelowna to Sicamous on the 97A is beautiful. The reason I suggest 3 days is to spend a full day in the Kelowna region and take the drive down to Penticton. If you are into wine at all (even if you're not) why not take a tour of any of the wineries.
For information check out my travel website with pictures and links at:
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/al...ravelpage.html

From Sicamous you join back on the Trans Canada heading east to Calgary.

If you want any additional help you can
contact me by e-mail.

Have a great trip, the drive will be worth it.

Apr 27th, 1999, 08:15 PM
Bob Brown

I agree with Sue. The Okanagan is lovely. If you have the time, check out some of the BC Provincial Parks. They too have a lot to offer. Mt. Robson is a bit off of your stated route, but what a sight it is. It towers over 8,000 vertical feet above a small lake on the southern flanks. Also, going south from the town of Revelstoke to Nelson along the Columbia Valley is a very pretty drive.

Aug 2nd, 1999, 09:00 PM
GRANDMA

THANKYOU FOR YOUR ADVICE ON TRAVELING THE HIGHWAY FROM CALGARY TO VANCOUVER. I AM LEAVING TOMARROW 08/03/99 FOR
VANCOUVER FROM MEDICINE HAT AB. I WILL TAKE AT LEAST 2 DAYS WITH A STAY OVER IN THE BEAUTYFUL CITY OF KAMLOOPS. I AM GOING TO ATTEND THE ARRIVAL OF MY FIRST GRAND CHILD. HOPEFULLY IT WILL WAIT UNTILL I GET THERE. THANKS AGAIN FOR THE TRAVEL ADVICE.....