Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Driving from Fairbanks, Alaska to Jasper, Alberta

Jul 23rd, 2007, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

We are driving (not in RV) in the beginning of September. These are overnight stops we are planning to make

September 10 Beaver Creek, Yukon
September 11 Whitehorse, Yukon
September 12 Muncho Lake, BC
September 13 Dawson Creek, BC
September 14 Jasper, Alberta (staying 4 days)

If any of you has experience driving on any of these sections please comment. Are we trying to drive too many miles each day? Should we add stops in between? Suggestions?

Recommendations on places to stay in all above destinations and route to take from Dawson Creek to Jasper? Also we would like to stay in a nice cabin with kitchen in/near Jasper. Recommendations, please.
Thank you for your help

Jul 24th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Any Canadian willing to help?
Jul 24th, 2007, 12:38 PM

I recommend to take the top of the world highway instead of the Alaska highway for the leg between Tok and Whitehorse. Very nice view's. You will enjoy the trip.
Jul 24th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Tom. Is the the top of the world highway paved? We are driving our sedan. No truck, no RV or SUV but our small dependable Camry. How long it took you to drive from Tok to Whitehorse? Where do you suggest we stay overnight along this highway?
Jul 25th, 2007, 03:52 PM

Hi, I have driven from Tok, Alaska to Dawson Creek, so can help with that segment.

Clearly, when driving the Alaska Highway, you either stop 'early' or you take-on the next huge segment of the road all the way.

This isn't like having L.A., Santa Barbara, Oxnard, and San Luis Obispo all lined-up depending upon your whim about where to stop for the night.

Good news for you is that Sept. on the highway will find no serious traffic and you'll be able to make good time all the way.

After consulting a map, and recalling what I saw there, I say without question that your spots are quite comfortably arranged!

Go for it... and expect hours of you, the highway, and thick forests all around.

I would emphasize seeing Kluane Lake, Yukon in broad daylight along the way. (should happen naturally for you)

Should be a piece of cake - your itinerary.

Jul 26th, 2007, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

NorthwestMale, this is great. I am so grateful for your comments and suggestions. Thank you so much. I saw a number of photos of Kluane Lake and were thinking about making a stop there. Now, thanks to you, I added this stop to our itinerary. We just have to leave earlier in the morning to have an hour or two for this stop. Thank you. We are definitely going!!
Jul 26th, 2007, 03:10 PM

Haven't made that journey...yet! But, I'd love to.

I can, however, highly recommend Alpine Village in Jasper. I've stayed there many times and have loved every cabin I've stayed in...even the older ones.

But, reservations are a must...you may have trouble getting something this late...give them a call.

Since you spoke of cooking in the cabin, be sure to ask if yours have cooking facilities. Most of them do, but a handful do not.

www.alpinevillagejasper.com
Jul 27th, 2007, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

jewelhawg, thank you for the link. Will check it out right now.