Down to the wire and can't decide Vancouver or Victoria for Ambiance and Beauty

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning a 4-day anniversary weekend and for the weekend of Oct. 9th. Cannot decide between a B&B in Victoria or The Wedgewood in Vancouver. I'm not sure which city has more to offer in terms of scenic vistas. We want to explore. I know Vancouver has Stanley Park, Grouse Mountain and Granville Island. Victoria has the Harbour and Butchart Gardens. However, does Victoria have mountain views and beautiful parks and hiking as well (cliffs/ocean)? We want charm and ambiance. I'm leaning toward Victoria but I'm wondering if we will run out of things to do after a day. We are also big foodies. Although, I'm sure there are more than enough restaurants to keep us happy in either cities for a weekend. Riding bikes for a day in Stanley Park sounds fantastic. However, I'm afraid if I see Victoria I'll kick myself and wish we had stayed there...help.
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 08:48 AM

Split it up...two days in each city will give you lots of options, and the ferry ride is an attraction too. Consider Abigail's B & B in Victoria and definitely The Wedgewood in Vancouver. Remember though, that is our Thanksgiving weekend, so both cities will be busy. BOOK NOW
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 09:27 AM

Victoria definitely has mountain views, beautiful parks, hiking and cliff/ocean vistas. If you get tired of Victoria itself, you can drive up Vancouver Island and stop at any number of provincial parks along the way. The Wedgewood, though, is my all-time favourite hotel; I would echo what the previous poster said. Split it up, if you can, and DO book soon because of the Thanksgiving weekend crush.
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 09:35 AM

Speaking as someone who's lived in Vancouver for eighteen years, I'd opt for Victoria. It's just right for a four-day visit; small enough that you can get to know it well in that short a time, but big enough to provide all the things you're looking for. Not to say that there's anything wrong with Vancouver, but if I wanted a week-end of charm and ambience, I'd prefer the smaller-town feel of Victoria. As Meesthare says, there are plenty of things to do just outside Victoria if you feel like stretching your wings a little.
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 09:57 AM

Tough one. Vancouver is a world class city and is really impressive. The mountains around it are far more rugged than around Victoria. The city is diverse and has taken great advantage of its natural beauty. That said, it is a city, with traffic and crowding.
Victoria is a picturesque town, with lots of charm. It is more peaceful. They are really different.
If I had company, I'd pick Vancouver to show them.