Dinner before/after Raptors game

Feb 1st, 2004, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Dinner before/after Raptors game

DH and I will be in Toronto this upcoming weekend. We're staying at the Hotel Victoria and Friday night will be attending the Raptors/Pacers game. Any recommendations for a place for a quick dinner in the neighborhood before the game (starts at 7:30)? Also willing to consider eating after the game if restaurants will still be open.

Thanks.
Feb 1st, 2004, 06:39 AM
BAK

First, please report back on the Hotel Victoria afterwards -- I think it could be the best bargain in town, and would like to know what an actual guest thinks fo the place.

for your quick before-game meal, leave the Hotel victoria and turn rignt/south and walk a block, cross Wellington, and start looking in the windows of the old, restored building. Proceed to the doorway into the giant lobby of BCE Place, entter, and go to Le marche, which is what you saw through the window.

Excellent food prepared as youwait at vrious stands -- pasta here, a steak there, salad in a third place.

It is good food, fun, and you control your own pace, so it is easy to get finished in time for the game.

After dinner, back to Yonge Street and just walk south a few more blocks.

OR/ For quick service, good food, reasonable prices, leave thehotel and walk south, except when at the BCE Place door, cross Yonge Street to Shopsy's Deli. A fancy deli, making it a casual restaurant.

BAK
Feb 2nd, 2004, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

Dear BAK, Thanks for the excellent suggestions. I'll definitely post about the Hotel Victoria when I return.
Feb 3rd, 2004, 06:06 PM

You didn't mention price range or preferences. Let us know if you are looking for more expensive dinner.

Couple of other moderate priced places:
- Esplande Bier Market (on Esplanade whch is south of Front St and east of Yonge) - combination bar and resturant which has great mussels (try a la snob). Bar area will be busy after work being a Friday and after the game
- Irish Embassy is at Yonge and Wellington and very close to your hotel, a busy pub with decent food
- Soul of the Vine is in concourse level of Commerce Court around the corner form hotel (they can guide you); Decent pasta at moderate prices
- Masquerade in BCE place, owned by same people that own Marche and across the atrium from Marche. Masquerade is a sit-down place serving decent pasta and other dishes. Very colourful seating.

Most of the places mentioned by posters should still be serving food after Raptors game. Hopefully, the game will be good. Raptors are finally playing good ball (although lost to Pistons and Lakers by 1 point) including a convincing win tonight in Philadelphia. Enjoy!!
Feb 3rd, 2004, 06:46 PM
BAK

Dial's reply mentionmed the irish Embassy Pub.

I was at your hotel this morning and spotted the irish Embassy right across the road, so I went over and in, and asked about the place.It's neat and clean and attractive and I'm willing to bet is a good place.

and the staff I talked with confirmed they are used to clearing out customers in time for sports and theatre events.

Now, back to an unanswered question -- there are many fairly close restaurants open latish -- perhaps with kitchens open to 11. A couple of blocks east of the hotel, on Front at Church, is the Hot House Cafe, open well into the evening. It's a favorite of mine.

Feb 14th, 2004, 04:23 AM

Le marche will hardly be a quick bite. Odds are that it will be mobbed with long lines and a longer wait.