Dining in Montreal

Dec 6th, 2002, 04:39 PM
John

Dining in Montreal

What is Table d'hôte? We see this on some restaurant websites. Is this a menu for group events and/or special occasions?

Also, is the a la carte menu reflective of what we would be ordering from?

Has anyone had any experience with Chez Queux in Montreal? Any specific dishes you would recommend?

Thanks, John

Dec 7th, 2002, 11:34 AM
kate

Table d'hote is a meal served at a fixed hour at a fixed price.
Literally it means the hosts table.

Dec 9th, 2002, 01:23 PM
John

Kate,

Thanks. A restaurant we will be going to has both an a la carte and table d'hote menu. Does that mean that we can go anytime and order from the a la carte?

Thanks again.

Dec 9th, 2002, 01:51 PM
kate

Yes, I think so. We never pay attention to the table d'hote, usually ordering from specials or a la carte menus.
I cannot remember having a bad meal in Montreal so I am sure wherever you go, you will be happy!
Oh boy, am I asking for trouble! Lol!

Dec 9th, 2002, 02:47 PM
minnie

Do you mean Queue de Cheval?
If so, consider carefully:
They play the (pop/rock) music SO LOUD that you can hardly hear the person sitting across from you - it is the loudest music I have ever heard played in a restaurant. They rush you thru your meal - even to the point where they have a girl walking around with a clipboard noting how far along each table is. (I understand planning and such, but c'mon...). Also, the wait staff was very snotty.
The food was good, but not worth the rude service and uncomfortable ambience.
They certainly are proud of themselves!

Dec 10th, 2002, 08:22 AM
gina's sister

Tablet d'hotel,anything like early bird specials we hear so much of? Possibilities for a byob,possibly so?

Dec 10th, 2002, 09:08 AM
John

Minnie,
No I don't think so. I'm looking at Chez Queux - www.chezqueux.com

Dec 10th, 2002, 10:39 AM
xx

Table d'hote just means a fixed choice menu inclusding several courses, as opposed to a la carte which means you pay for each item separately. It does not necessarily mean early bird hours or late hours, though that will be listed on the menu.

Dec 11th, 2002, 03:52 AM
Local

Table d'hote is offered at most restaurants. It is a separate menu of the day, with a few choices for appetizer, main course, sometimes desert and coffee are included, sometimes not. If you like what's offered, it's a better deal than a la carte. If you don't want to eat so much, a la carte is the way to go. I watch my weight, so I don't usually order table d'hote.

I think you will like Chez Queux. Their rack of lamb is excellent. I've had salmon there,too.(That's what I usually eat...wherever I go!) It's a warm, lovely place to spend an evening. Enjoy!

Dec 11th, 2002, 06:19 AM
Gina

Table d'hote is all my sister is talking about lately. Thanks, I think.I Take it thisis like the salad bar and blackboard specials of the day,we get at Blimpy's on 34th?

Dec 11th, 2002, 07:11 AM
Brian Kilgore

Neverhaving been to Blimpey's, I can't comment on similarities.

But ...

In the world of Table d'hote and a la crte, they are often referred to as the "left hand page" and "right hand page"

Table d'hote is on the left, at least at restaurants that understand the ethos of fine dining.

My take on the bargain-ness of table d'hote cf a la carte is a bit different. Not only do I think tdh is the bargain, I also think it is the way to stay out of financial trouble. Ordering from the right hand page, especially after a couple of glasses of good wine, can run up the bill in a big hurry.

In a nice restaurant, one of the advantages of the left hand is that it might prompt you to try something you've never had before, since it is sort of a bargain, being included in the package. If the appetizers give you the choice of snails or a garden salad, why not opt for the snails, since it's part of the package?

Enjoy Montreal -- it's hard to find a meal that's not really good.

BAK

Dec 11th, 2002, 07:11 AM
Local

Gina..almost every restaurant has a table d'hote. Some of them are less expensive and some are very expensive. Most do not have salad bars or blackboard "specials".

Dec 11th, 2002, 08:14 AM
kate

I don't know how romantic one might find this place, but I do know it is beautiful and not like anything in NYC..there is a Chinese restaurant in the Omni Hotel called Zen.
Everything is glass, the bar is glass, the room is set up like the inside of a sea shell, tables are cozy, the food is better than anything I have had in NYC. To simplify the way you order, it is sort of all you can eat for x amount of dollars. You are given a choice of appetizers, then they bring you a couple, if you want more, they bring it. Then you go to the next course..and so on through the entire meal. You can over eat so be careful! The service is impeccable, and it is sophisticated and nothing Chinese Takeout about the decor or atmosphere.
Kate

Dec 11th, 2002, 08:27 AM
Anne

Kate! This sounds perfect! Thank you so much, I am going to see if I can find pics on line. Thanks, Anne

Dec 11th, 2002, 09:05 AM
Local

It's funny..I'm trying to figure out where to go for New Year's Eve, so I came to this board for ideas!!!

Anyway...re: Zen. It is definitey NOT romantic! It's all you can eat for $29 plus tip and tax. It's best to go more than 2 people, because the more people, the more dishes you can try. You can still try every dish in the house, if you are physically capable! Lots of groups go there...they attract a young crowd...big for birthdays.

Dec 11th, 2002, 09:12 AM
Anne

Mr. Local: So do you know any romantic restaurants or things to do. We are in the 35 year old range. We never went to a Jazz Club but I think that might be cool. As a local, what are your favourites? Does not have to be fancy, just special. Thanks a Mil. Anne

Dec 11th, 2002, 05:24 PM
Local

For the record..I am Mrs. Local Yokel!!!
(I'm laughing so hard that I am choking!)
Where is your hotel and what kind of food would you like? I'll do my best to answer.

Dec 11th, 2002, 05:41 PM
kate

This is weird.
Anne,
I responded regarding Zen and how I remembered it being so pretty and that we had a table that was sort of to the side where we were able to be alone to whisper sweet nothings while being waited on by excellent waiters.
I also mentioned that I never thought of it as an "all you can eat" place but that you should definitely check it out while you are there!
It got deleted for some reason.
So, I have just repeated myself!
Ms Local Yokel~
Is the restaurant still as nice or has it changed and become more of a hotel restaurant? It was practically empty when we were there! I agree that the more people at the table the better, there is so much food!
So I will also wait and see which places you recommend that are romantic, for the spring when we come up again.

Kate

Dec 12th, 2002, 02:28 AM
Local

Hi! Zen is very modern as you know. I personally don't find that romantic. I have been there only twice, both times for birthdays and on a weekend night. It is a very popular restaurant and it was quite full both times. It's a fun experience. I am old enough to be your mother (I assume), and I can say that it is more poplular with your generation. Next year, I wouldn't be surprised if my sons choose it again.

We don't look for "romantic" restaurants,per se, but if you tell me what type of food you like, I will do my best to make recommendations.

Don't laugh...but last night I went through the entire phone book, looking for a restaurant for New Year's Eve...one that doesn't charge through the roof! (Lucky me...I was assigned the job!!!)So, names are fresh in my mind. Just tell me area of the city and type of food you prefer. I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Dec 12th, 2002, 05:47 AM
Kate

Ms Local Yokel
We ate at Le Petit Extra and while it is not dark and cozy, would you recommend that as romantic? We sat in the small table in the window, so charming!
I think the Auberge Bonaparte has a nice restaurant also.
Funny, I am not in my 30's anymore, but we still like to go to romantic places
So I will be watching for your list for Anne.
I find the most helpful and nice people on this forum (Canada).
Thanks and have a great day!K

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO