Destination wedding in October

Jul 23rd, 2004, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Destination wedding in October

My fiancé and I are looking to have our small destination wedding (about 20 people) somewhere in a mountain area that is both scenic and romantic. Places we are considering are: Banff, Alberta (wondering if it's too touristy), Whistler, British Columbia (wondering maybe too touristy and how the weather will be), the New England area of Vermont, New Hampshire, or Maine (I've heard it might be too late for this area); or the California side of Lake Tahoe (wondering if it's too touristy or crowded). We want to do it the second weekend (around the 10th) and are not limited to Saturday and could easily have it another day. Any ideas on these areas?

We want to have an outside wedding somewhere pretty. We really don't want a formal setting just to be somewhere very scenic and romantic. Afterwards, we?ll all go to a nice restaurant for a dinner reception. Our guests will be coming in for a day or two and we will be staying to honeymoon in the area.

Jul 23rd, 2004, 08:34 AM

Hello Fossilhiker,

I can't comment on an October wedding in Whistler, New England or Lake Tahoe.

If you choose the Canadian Rockies, I know a few people who've had weddings at the Banff Springs Hotel, and have been very happy with the results.

However, I also have had two colleagues, a few years apart, who have had weddings in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains, one of them in October as it happened. One of the weddings was in Kananaskis Country, and I think that would be a lovely place for someone who wanted to get away from a touristy town like Banff (even if October is not Banff's busiest period).

The October wedding ceremony took place outdoors, and the reception was held indoors, which sounds like the same idea you have in mind. The October bride wore a full length, hooded, white, velvet cape over her long white dress for the outdoor wedding ceremony. (The photos of the wedding party with the snow capped mountains in the background were lovely.) The bride took the cape off when they moved indoors for the reception.

With all that in mind, I did a Google search for KANANASKIS + WEDDING, and came across this website that posts information about weddings in Banff, Lake Louise, Kananaskis Country and Canmore. The neat thing about the website is that it would help you to compare the offerings of each of those destinations so you could decide what fitted your requirements best. The website is:

http://www.canadianrockies.net/weddings/

As for your staying on in the area afterwards, the number of places to stay and the best places to stay would depend on the amount of time you have and your budget.

I think most people would agree that Emerald Lake Lodge in Yoho National Park, west of Lake Louise, is one of the most ideal hotels for a honeymoon, if it fits your budget.

Hope that helps.
Jul 23rd, 2004, 08:51 AM

Hello Fossilhiker,

Are you discussing October 10th in 2004 or 2005?

I've just remembered that October 11, 2004 will be Canadian Thanksgiving, so that will be a long weekend. (Canadian Thanksgiving is the same weekend as the Columbus Day holiday in the United States.)

Thanksgiving is a holiday when many folks stay home. We ourselves have never gone away for that holiday, so we don't have any experience of what the resorts are like then.

I don't expect the Canadian Rockies to be jam packed with tourists that weekend, for the reason already mentioned. Nonetheless, the Rockies may experience a slight increase of tourists that weekend compared with the rest of October, which generally is a pretty light month for tourists.

Obviously it also would be the Thanksgiving weekend in Whistler, to the extent that that may affect the situation there.
Jul 23rd, 2004, 08:52 AM
BAK

Think about how hard it would be for the people to get to the location.

For intstance, it's not all that easy to quickly get to Bar Harbor Maine, or, for that matyter, some parts of Vermont and New Hampshire.

But there are flights from all over North America to Vancouver, with easy access to Whisteler, and Calgary, with easy access to Banff.

And what's "too touristy" mean? Tourists tend to go to nice places, so someplace tourists don't like is probably a dump. October in Banff is pretty quiet. Too cold for the picnic people, no snow, probably, for the skiers.

By the time you get to most of your destinations, you could -- depending on where people start off -- get to Bermuda, which is still warm in October, romantic, etc.

BAK
Jul 23rd, 2004, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Judy, thanks for the wonderful insight and tips as they really help a lot!

I was wondering how Thanksgiving would affect things. Here in America there are a lot of people who go to vacation spots for family reunions and vacations. It'a a major travel holiday. Last Thanksgiving we went to a family gathering in Gatlinburg, Tennessee. We didn't realize until we got there that it was the busiest weekend of the year there. There were major traffic jams and very crowded sidewalks in this otherwise easy going resort town area. It took an hour and a half to drive 5 miles to go eat.
Jul 23rd, 2004, 10:45 AM

Re Whistler - kids are back in school, family vacations are over, ski season hasn't started.

Friends of friends held their 200 + wedding (with half from Ontario) at either the Big Sky Golf and Country Club or the Pemberton Valley Golf and Country Club (can't remember which - both easy to google). Pemberton is about 20 (?) mins. past Whistler and the mountain vistas are gorgeous. The wedding was a huge success and both locals (Vancouverites) and visitors loved the Pemberton Valley locale.

A thought...

L
Jul 23rd, 2004, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

How's the weather in Whistler in early October?
Jul 23rd, 2004, 11:22 AM

www.mywhistler.com says the average October temps are:

High: 16?C /60?F; Low: 3?C / 38?F

You're thinking of early-mid October so the weather should be pleasant.

Today, Whistler's temp is 39 C - today's historical average is 23 C!

L
Jul 23rd, 2004, 11:23 AM

Please ignore the question marks - the copied formatting obviously didn't transfer well!

L
Jul 23rd, 2004, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your help!
Jul 23rd, 2004, 05:02 PM
BAK

Canadian thanksgiving and US thanksgiving are different dates.

BAK