Reload this Page >

Dear Canadians, help me get married!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 04:23 AM
John

I've been courting this love of mine for sometime now. And we are having our first trip togeter this summer to Vancouver area...... <BR> <BR>I plan to ask her to be my wife during this trip and I want this to be really special... <BR> <BR>We'll be there for nine days in late June... <BR> <BR>While mainly staying in Vancouver, I'd also like to have one or two overnight trips to nearby attractions. <BR> <BR>But unfortunately, I know very little about Canada.... I would truly appreciate advices on places to stay, visit and eat from local folks.. My budget is about $4000 (USD) excluding trasportation.. <BR> <BR>Thank you so much in advance.. ([email protected])

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 06:37 AM
Richard

To be honest with you, it would be more of a summer in Vancouver by late July. The weather will be much much better during this time, but that depends if you have a fix date in mind to ask her. June is usually cloudy, may rain and the temperature is still quite mild--not summer yet for Vancouver. However, Vancouver can get fairly warm by late July and during August. <BR> <BR>Definitely spend 3 or 4 nights in Vancouver at a decent hotel such as <BR>The Sutton Hotel <BR>The Waterfront <BR>Pan Pacific <BR>The Sheration Wall Centre <BR>Listel on Robson Street <BR>Hotel Vancouver <BR> <BR>I recommend you having dinner at 'C' restaurant which is predominately seafood oriented. Many people speak very highly of this place. <BR> <BR>Sunsets in Vancouver are very nice. Visit English Bay just before sunset--very romantic to sit at the beach and watch the sunset. By late July the sun will set at approximately 10pm--check the newspaper while you're their for accuracy. <BR> <BR>Stanley park is a definite must. The largest city park in N.America--can be a romantic place to spend the day for a walk. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>Also, you can head up to Whistler resort which is 2 hours from downtown Vancouver. Whistler is famous for it's skiing, but during the summer it's a great place to relax. You can go hiking, golfing, biking,etc. I highly recommend going there. 2 or 3 nights would be good. <BR> <BR>You could also go to Vancouver Island and visit Victoria. In the summer visitors flock here for its English feeling. Some people find Victoria boring, but a night or two may be just right. Whale watching tours are available. <BR> <BR>While you're in the Vancouver area contact the specific hotel that you'll be staying in an get them to arrange something special for that day for later... <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 07:59 AM
Susan

If you do decide to go to Vancouver island, Sooke Harbour House is quite amazing. The place is beautiful and the restaurant is one of the highest rated in Canada.

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 08:54 AM
Paul

I do agree that late July would be the best time and onwards. <BR> <BR>Definitely Whistler is a great place in the summer for a few days...Some days in Vancouver is a must...beautiful in the summer.

Old Jan 14th, 2001, 07:19 AM
dnorrie

I love Victoria and you can get beautiful rooms right on the harbour - not inexpensive but remember the rate of exchange on the US$ is very good right now. I stayed in a two bdrm suite right next to parliament buildings for $135Cdn a night last year - the room normally went for over $250 but I was able to negotiate a better rate as they were not full - if you have a business be sure to mention that as there often are special business rates. The Sooke area is wonderful and you can drive there easily as well as to Duncan etc. I truly prefer Vancouver Island to Vancouver itself. The ferry's cost a bit but they are worth the trip. We are not big city people so Vancouver isn't my place but for a city, Vic. is so great. The one thing to be on guard for is the panhandlers. As Vic. is one of the only places in Canada that street people can live in the winter, there are quite a few. Just ignore.