day trip

Aug 14th, 2002, 05:21 PM
Michelle

day trip

If my husband and I were to go on a day trip, where might we go. We visited Victoria on our last trip to Vancouver, any other suggestions?Thank you in advance. M

Aug 14th, 2002, 06:00 PM
Paula

How about Salt Spring Island? We did it as a day trip a few years ago - spent alot of time on the ferry but it was worth it to us. Salt Spring Island was great and the ferry trip was scenic and relaxing.

Aug 15th, 2002, 04:49 AM
Cindy

I'd agree with the above suggestion, especially on a Saturday morning so that you can enjoy the market. You could also spend some time visiting other islands; Galiano is beautiful, as is Gabriola, which you would have to get to by driving up the highway on Vancouver Island and then catching the ferry from Nanaimo. It's not a strenuous day trip, and Gabriola is lovely.

Aug 15th, 2002, 07:06 AM
x

drive up to whistler
hike grouse (sp?) moutain

Aug 15th, 2002, 08:45 AM
Michele

Another vote for the Gulf Islands ... Just got back from a trip that included visits to four of the southern ones ... don't count Saturna Island out; although it's small and sparsely populated, it has a lovely winery as well as a fabulous little breakfast/lunch restaurant in its general store. In between the eating and drinking, there are gorgeous beaches and vistas. Salt Spring has many more attractions like farms and galleries and restaurants and kayaking expeditions. Galiano is kinda "in-between" with more to do than Saturna, but less than Salt Spring.

Aug 15th, 2002, 02:30 PM
Julia

Hi!

I agree with the suggestions to go out to the Gulf Islands - they are fabulous and all have working artists and their treasures hidden away to be found. I spent my childhood summers on Gabriola and it has the best tidepools! But, Gabriola is a short ferry ride after a long ferry ride over to Nanaimo and it would take a good part of the day to get there and back from Vancouver. So, Salt Spring is great, all of them are great. You can leave out of Horseshoe Bay on the B.C. Ferries and I do recommend trying to make a reservation for your preferred departure times, if possible. It is a small investment that is well worth the price, compared to the time NOT spent sitting in ferry lines. Visit the B.C. Ferries website at http://www.bcferries.ca

Whistler is also a great day trip, but I can spend a week there easily.... You can leave early from Vancouver and drive for about 2 hours maximum - walk or mountain-bike the Valley Trail in the summer, ride the chairlift up the ski hills for a hike in the summer, ski or snowshoe in the winter, golf in the summer, visit Armchair Books, eat lunch at the Chateau Whistler. You can make it back easily on a good highway in the evening.

Best,
Julia

Aug 17th, 2002, 09:07 AM
desert dweller

Penticton it's only a leisurely 5hrs drive drive from Vancouver...... take the scenic Hope to Princeton route, you'll have wildlife viewing and photo ops all throughout Manning park on your way to Penticton... Alpine meadows are reached on short easy to hike trails in the park....

lots of small towns to explore all along the route to Penticton. Once there swim in the warm waters of Skaha Lake or ride an inertube or air matress down the canal that connects okanagan lake to Skaha lake.