Reload this Page >

Customs and Things To Do

Search

Customs and Things To Do

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 1999, 01:53 PM
Danny

Customs and Things To Do

Hi There I am about to fly to Toronto, well in August, and I need to know what I can and can't take with me. I want to take some whiskey over with me and also a small knife as it part of my full dress kilt outfit, does anybody know if this will be possible. I also need some suggestions for places to visit, I know a fair bit about the normal stuff, Skydome, CN tower, Niagra, Toronto Place and all that, but I would like to see more of every day Canada not just the tourist stuff. I would also like to visit a couple of decent malls, ones that dont have over inflated tourist prices if possible! If you have any suggestions could you please email me, I would be extrememly grateful.

Old Jul 12th, 1999, 02:48 PM
Donna

Fodor's Citypack Toronto is an excellent, slim, tour guide with one of the best maps I've ever seen (even includes the hotels and the bus/streetcar routes). This isn't a plug, it's really an excellent resource.

Old Jul 13th, 1999, 05:38 AM
james

Danny, <BR> <BR>Malls in Toronto - Yorkdale, at the top of the University subway line. It is not a tourist mall. It is a mall that regular Torontonians shop at. Has excellent stores, not inflated prices. Browse at Eaton's Centre, but do not buy, prices are too high. <BR> <BR>For the flavour of the city, suggest going to Queen St. West (west of university Ave.) It is a funky, quirky district with eclectic shops and restaurants. Great for walking. It intersects with Spadina, which is the heart of one of Toronto's ChinaTowns. Also suggest going out to College St. in little Italy. Very cool. enjoy

Old Jul 25th, 1999, 08:26 PM
Brian Kilgore

Bringing in a knife to go with a kilt should not be a problem, other than you should not try to get on an airplane with it in your pocket. I have no idea what Toronto Place is, incidentally. (Ontario Place? harbor area entertainment complex is worth a visit, especially for the IMAX movies) <BR>"Everyday Canada" depends on the how each of us operates everyday, but for me that includes walking around the Yorkville neighbor just north east of Bloor and Avenue Road, where the rich peolpe (not me) also hang out. Art galleries and great restaurants, and you don't need to spend a fortune. Harborfront is filled with real Torontonians 10 months of the year. A walk up Yonge Street for maybe six blocks going north from Eglinton will take you past some real Torontonians, but also take you past some great restaurants in many price ranges. <BR>BAK

Old Jul 26th, 1999, 10:01 AM
Terry

If you can get to Oakville (just outside of Toronto) either on Aug. 20 or 21, there is going to be a Ceilidh with Scottish dancers and bagpipes. It's going to be great fun. If you want more info., feel free to email me.