crossing from Nanaimo to Vancouver

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are taking a ferry from Nanaimo to Vancovuer and then driving directly to Whistler. I see there is a ferry that goes to Horseshoe Bay but I cannot tell if the ferry landing at Horseshoe Bay will position us so that we can drive to Whistler from there. I need advice!
Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 01:55 PM

Definitely take the Nanaimo to Horseshoe Bay ferry. You are right at the beginning of the sea to sky highway there. There is a different terminal in Nanaimo for that ferry so be sure you go to the Departure Bay terminal.
Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

Thank you SO much! That seemed to make sense to me but I couldn't tell for sure. We are certainly looking forward to our trip. Again, thanks!
Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 08:46 PM

No problem - when you get off the ferry just follow the road up the hill and the sign is very obvious so you won't have any trouble at all. Enjoy your visit!!!
Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 08:54 PM

It's not quite as simple as it seems-all traffic is directed <u>east</u> out of the terminal-you need to proceed to the correct highway exit and turn completely around to take the highway to Whistler.

Be sure to <b>ask Ferry Staff about which exit to use</b>-I can't be sure because there's been so much new construction-I think it's Exit #4 the Caufeild (<i>yes that's how it's spelled</i exit but be sure to double check.
Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 07:08 AM

Sam - I grew up in "CAULFEILD" Think you forgot an L so to you I say thats Not how its spelled!!!!

Livelight The Exit is Exit "0". You will certainly be making lots of turns but just follow the 99N Squamish/Whistler signs and you will be OK. The road takes you on an overpass and then merges you on to the Sea to Sky.
Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 08:13 AM

Sam - Just read my post - I didn't mean to sound upset - I just think its funny that you were so definite about the spelling. Unless of course they have misspelled it on the sign..
Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

I cannot tell you how much I appreciate this expert advice!
One or two more things: do I need ferry reservations or can we just show up AND does anyone have know about dinner at Butchart gardens and the evening concerts at 8:00. It seemed like a great deal and a wonderful and easy experience. Thank you ever so much for the advice.
Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 07:22 PM

I assume you will be here during the summer? It is advisable to make reservations for the ferry if time is of the essence. When you say dinner at Butchart gardens - the only thing I know about is the picnic you can buy on fireworks Saturdays and sit on the lawn and listen to the concert. Did you read about something other than that? They do have a concert every night but the picnic is just on Saturdays.

Their website has a calendar so you can check and see what the concert is each night.
Old Jul 4th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

Regarding Butchart, I read that they have a restaurant and that you can buy a ticket to the gardens and dinner for about $40 ( I think). The menu looked fine and I thought we would head to the garden around 4:00, stay for dinner and the concert later. Yes, we will be there next week. Do you know anything about the summer evening concerts?
Also, I suppose I'll be charged a foreign exchange fee each time I use a credit card?
Once again, thank you so much for your help!
Old Jul 4th, 2010, 08:18 PM

Sorry, they do have the $39.95 dinner/entrance special. (after 3pm arrival) except Saturdays. The concerts are every evening and here is the website for that
http://www.butchartgardens.com/enter...-calendar.html

If you don't want the fee on your credit card every time why don't you take enough cash out of an ATM and just pay the one time fee? I should tell you that the weather is supposed to be beautiful this week so hopefully it will stay that way for your visit. Post if you have anymore questions.
Old Jul 5th, 2010, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

I so appreciate your help! We will be in Colorado this week and BC next week. Hang on to that weather for us!
Old Jul 5th, 2010, 06:29 AM

Have a safe trip and enjoy Victoria!
Old Jul 5th, 2010, 06:58 AM

To traveller69 - thanks for the good response about what The Butchart Gardens has to offer. I couldn't have replied better and I work at The Gardens.