Come to Vancouver Island

Search

Come to Vancouver Island

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1st, 2004, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Come to Vancouver Island

I notice that there are no topics on Vancouver Island and I am just writing to ask people if they have heard of Vancouver Island if they would ever consider coming here and why if they would or would not. I have lived here all of my life and see it as one of the best vacation places in the world. I would love to know everyone's thoughts on Vancouver Island.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 02:38 PM
BAK

Geeezzz..

The next message in the forum as I type this is about Tofino. Further down there's a message about hotels in Victoria. A bit below that there's a message about Vancover mentioning the poster wants to go to Vctoria.

And so it goes...

BAK
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

I apologize, I guess I should re-phrase.... I notice there aren't many topics (whereas there are soooo many elsewhere). I would just like to know what people think of the area, if they've been there before and what sort of things would attract them there. I have recently taken a tourism hospitality course and am simply curious as to people's thoughts and opinions.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 04:56 PM

Did you TRY to do a search on the topic on this forum? Because there are a gazillion posts mentioning Vancouver Island. Maybe just not within the last week or so, but obviously it is a popular destination.

You wouldn't be looking for an easy way to do your homework, or a project, would you?
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 08:27 PM
BAK

Pretty much everyone who has been to Vancouver Island says really good things about it here.

When people ask, they usually get lots of replies, and almost all are favorable.

There's a mix of questions about victoria, what the best hotels are, and there's a mix of people looking for luxury and old world charm -- they like tea at the Empress -- and people looking for bargains.

Click at the bottom of the topics list to read the next 50, and do it again after number 100, and you'll learn more.

BAK
Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 05:38 AM

Well, for what it's worth, the latest edition of "Islands" magazine, usually best known articles about exotic tropical destinations, just pronounced Meares Island (along Vancouver Islands' west coast) as one of the "20 most beautiful islands" in the world.

Though I've not been to Meares Island I live in the Pacific Northwest (Seattle in my case) and DO know from personal experience just how gorgeous this part of the world is so I see no reason to doubt the inclusion of the place alongside other, far more well-known islands such as Bali and Kauai.

Ken
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 08:01 PM

My husband and I are going there this week end. We both have job interviews. We are staying at Swan's, and expect to take in the music Saturday night. Two questions:

What is a nice but not too expensive eclectic restaurant downtown? (The bistro at Swan's is a bit pricey but the type of food we like).

We are thinking of moving there (a few years of vacation opportunities await us on the island!) If we were to move there, we would like to live in an older character city neighbourhood, not expensive (not Oak Bay for sure!), walking distance to a "village" atmosphere (ethnic or fun, not too expensive, independent restaurants, music, and shops, no chains). What parts of the city would give this? What streets constitute the "village" areas?
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 08:41 AM

Carolred - you plan to move to Victoria? Just looking for clarification as you didn't specifiy and this thread is about Vancouver Island as a whole - and there are other cities on the island besides Victoria!

"Not expensive".... there really isn't anyplace in the city of Victoria where property isn't relatively expensive.... what's your idea of reasonable?

You also might have more luck getting answers if you post you queries under a separate post.
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 08:55 AM

You might want to check out the James Bay area up behind the Leg. buildings - smaller, character houses, close to conveniences and also to downtown. Cheaper to buy there than Oak Bay.

Good luck on the job interviews!
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 06:33 PM

Although... I don't know what has happened in James Bay but lately prices seem to be disproportionately high. It's not unusual to see a rather regular-looking house on the market for $500,000-$600,000.
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 11:49 AM

This message for kisness. We are considering Vancouver Island for a summer vacation and heard great reviews on Tighnamara Resort. Any knowlege about this resort? Is it as nice as the website describes? Would appreciate any info on it or any recommendations on where to stay and things to do on Vancouver Island. Family of four, children ages 12 and 5.
THANKS!
Jo
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 06:52 PM

I haven't been to Tigh-Na-Mara in some time but it has a good assortment of condo suites and cabins plus a restaurant. There are a number of other resorts along the same stretch of beach, some at beach level, others like Tigh-Na-Mara atop a cliff. I think any of them would be ideal for a family.

I liked the restaurant at Tigh-Na-Mara, although someone who stayed there recently said they found the food a little disappointing. I don't think it would be terrible though.

Lots to do in the area - walk the beach, look for eagles, drive to Cathedral Grove, hike at Englishman River Falls, take the kids mini-golfing in Parksville, visit the store with the goats on the roof in Coombs to name a few. Take in the museum in Victoria, walk through the Empress Hotel, take a little harbour ferry.
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 07:06 PM

jojo7, up until five years ago or so, our family of four visited the Parksville area annually for a number of years, and stayed several times at Tigh-na-Mara Resort on Rathtrevor Beach, as well as a few of the neighbouring resorts. We liked Tigh-na-Mara a lot for its log cabin construction, pool (indoor), and on-site restaurant. The beach is made for young kids - extremely shallow for a good distance, beautifully sandy, etc. Depending on your 12 year old's disposition, a day or two at the beach might be enough for him/her and then you can be off and visit some of the local sites. Kids love the nearby pitch 'n putt.

However, depending on when you go and how much time you've got, I'd opt for Tofino/Ucluelet on Vancouver Island's west coast. Both towns are fun, the beaches are gorgeous, the scenery breathtaking, and there is lots and lots to do other than beachcomb, swim (wetsuits recommended), and marvel at the surfers.

Another recommendation would be a Lady Rose freighter trip down the Port Alberni Inlet (about 3 hours on a working freighter) and do a kayak tour (guided or not) out of Sechart Lodge in the Broken Group of Islands/Pinkerton Islands. Again, breathtaking scenery and lots of opportunities for wildlife viewing.

Parksville is easy and fun, but Ucluelet/Tofino and Barclay Sound are in a different category altogether.

Whichever you choose, enjoy!

Linda
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 08:03 PM

I do not know much about Tofino. I do know many people have mentioned Tofino as their favorite place to visit on Vancouver island. Would this area be as "kid friendly" as Parksville and are there any family resorts worth mentining I could check out? Thanks!
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 10:38 AM

I'm sure someone else has a good answer but in the meantime you could check out Middle Beach Lodge which supposedly has a family lodge, and Best Western Tin Wis Resort Lodge.

http://www.middlebeach.com/
http://www.tinwis.com/
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 02:58 PM

April's suggestions are great ones, and you could add Pacific Sands Resort (we've stayed there twice) and Crystal Cove Resort (our neighbours stay there every year with their three kids, and since they were babies).

Look at www.tofino-bc.com/motels.html for more suggestions.

This area is very kid-friendly with lots to do. Usual common sense applies wherever you're by the sea.

You might want to search this site for additional info - numerous threads re Tofino/Ucluelet.

Cheers,
Linda

Old Feb 7th, 2005, 05:30 PM

To: April and BowenLinda
Thank you for your suggestions. I will check the web addresses you both listed.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 04:11 PM

I hope to visit there this year! Dates, TBD.